    Any tips from someone that has used this make/model?

    thanks
    mario

    mario, Jan 15, 2007

  2. mario

    Earl Grey Guest

    mario wrote:
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup this router?
    > I'm on Paradise cable.
    > I can login to the router through 192.168.1.1 ok.
    > At the moment I don't need wireless.
    >
    > Just can't seem to get the internet to work.
    > Any tips from someone that has used this make/model?
    >
    > thanks
    > mario

    Default name is blank, default password is admin.
    Select static in the dropdown box on the setup page
    Enter the IP address and gateway that Paradise gave you.
    subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    DNS is 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12
    DHCP enabled
    Save settings
    Set your network connection to obtain ip automatically and obtain DNS
    server address automatically.

    Earl Grey, Jan 15, 2007

  3. mario

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:06:21 +1300, mario <>
    exclaimed:

    >Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup this router?
    >I'm on Paradise cable.
    >I can login to the router through 192.168.1.1 ok.
    >At the moment I don't need wireless.
    >
    >Just can't seem to get the internet to work.
    >Any tips from someone that has used this make/model?
    >
    >thanks
    >mario

    Huh?

    The wrt54g is a Wireless Access Point, not an "internet router" in the
    context you appear to be thinking. ie it does not support PPPoE or
    PPPoA authentication, so cannot be used on Paradise Cable or xDSL.

    Basically, you need a router to connect to Paradise cable. You would
    then connect the wrt54gl to the router to share the internet
    connection amongst machines on your network, both wirelessly and
    wired.

    So, basically, it cannot do it out of the box.

    HOWEVER, since you have the "L" (linux) version, it IS possible by
    flashing it with the DD-WRT firmware, and setting up the PPPoE
    authentication through that. However, there is a risk of breaking it
    if you do this yourself, unless you know about such things (although
    the process is pretty straightforward).

    If you want to go down this path, take a look at www.dd-wrt.com. By
    memory, with that model you need to flash the micro version first, and
    then the full version - but check first!

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Fred Dagg, Jan 15, 2007
  4. mario

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:24:18 +1300, Earl Grey <> exclaimed:

    >mario wrote:
    >> Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup this router?
    >> I'm on Paradise cable.
    >> I can login to the router through 192.168.1.1 ok.
    >> At the moment I don't need wireless.
    >>
    >> Just can't seem to get the internet to work.
    >> Any tips from someone that has used this make/model?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> mario

    >Default name is blank, default password is admin.
    >Select static in the dropdown box on the setup page
    >Enter the IP address and gateway that Paradise gave you.
    >subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    >DNS is 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12
    >DHCP enabled
    >Save settings
    >Set your network connection to obtain ip automatically and obtain DNS
    >server address automatically.

    Don't you need a router that supports PPPoE for Paradise Cable?

    Fred Dagg, Jan 15, 2007
  5. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:24:18 +1300, Earl Grey <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> mario wrote:
    >>> Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup this router?
    >>> I'm on Paradise cable.
    >>> I can login to the router through 192.168.1.1 ok.
    >>> At the moment I don't need wireless.
    >>>
    >>> Just can't seem to get the internet to work.
    >>> Any tips from someone that has used this make/model?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> mario

    >> Default name is blank, default password is admin.
    >> Select static in the dropdown box on the setup page
    >> Enter the IP address and gateway that Paradise gave you.
    >> subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    >> DNS is 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12
    >> DHCP enabled
    >> Save settings
    >> Set your network connection to obtain ip automatically and obtain DNS
    >> server address automatically.

    > Don't you need a router that supports PPPoE for Paradise Cable?

    No.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 15, 2007
  6. Earl Grey wrote:
    > mario wrote:
    >> Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup this router?
    >> I'm on Paradise cable.
    >> I can login to the router through 192.168.1.1 ok.
    >> At the moment I don't need wireless.
    >>
    >> Just can't seem to get the internet to work.
    >> Any tips from someone that has used this make/model?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> mario

    On the WRT54GL:
    > Default name is blank, default password is admin.
    > Select static in the dropdown box on the setup page
    > Enter the IP address and gateway that Paradise gave you.
    > subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    > DNS is 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12
    > DHCP enabled
    > Save settings

    Once that's done do the following on each computer on your network:
    > Set your network connection to obtain ip automatically and obtain DNS
    > server address automatically.

    Then you should be able to see your cable modem on

    http://192.168.100.1/

    and the internet at large.

    The DHCP stuff is built into the cable modem too, so you may have to disable
    that in the cable modem setup. If you don't need any port forwarding or other
    router functions you can get away with a simple switch and use the NAT and DHCP
    built into the cable modem.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 15, 2007
  7. mario

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:51:13 +1300, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> exclaimed:

    >Earl Grey wrote:
    >> mario wrote:
    >>> Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup this router?
    >>> I'm on Paradise cable.
    >>> I can login to the router through 192.168.1.1 ok.
    >>> At the moment I don't need wireless.
    >>>
    >>> Just can't seem to get the internet to work.
    >>> Any tips from someone that has used this make/model?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> mario

    >On the WRT54GL:
    >> Default name is blank, default password is admin.
    >> Select static in the dropdown box on the setup page
    >> Enter the IP address and gateway that Paradise gave you.
    >> subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    >> DNS is 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12
    >> DHCP enabled
    >> Save settings

    >Once that's done do the following on each computer on your network:
    >> Set your network connection to obtain ip automatically and obtain DNS
    >> server address automatically.

    >Then you should be able to see your cable modem on
    >
    > http://192.168.100.1/
    >
    >and the internet at large.
    >
    >The DHCP stuff is built into the cable modem too, so you may have to disable
    >that in the cable modem setup. If you don't need any port forwarding or other
    >router functions you can get away with a simple switch and use the NAT and DHCP
    >built into the cable modem.

    You're assuming he already has a Cable modem (ie to handle the PPPoE).

    I was running on the assumption that he didn't - otherwise there
    really isn't much of a need for an additional router of any
    description.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 15, 2007
  8. mario

    mario Guest

    Thanks to all for the info.

    Strange but I thought I had done what Earl suggested.
    Anyway it's all up and running cheers.

    I'll try one of the open source firmware in the future.
    Just for fun :)

    mario

    mario, Jan 15, 2007
  9. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:51:13 +1300, Mark Robinson
    > <2tod.net> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Earl Grey wrote:

    >> On the WRT54GL:
    >>> Default name is blank, default password is admin.
    >>> Select static in the dropdown box on the setup page
    >>> Enter the IP address and gateway that Paradise gave you.
    >>> subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    >>> DNS is 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12
    >>> DHCP enabled
    >>> Save settings

    >> Once that's done do the following on each computer on your network:
    >>> Set your network connection to obtain ip automatically and obtain DNS
    >>> server address automatically.

    >> Then you should be able to see your cable modem on
    >>
    >> http://192.168.100.1/
    >>
    >> and the internet at large.
    >>
    >> The DHCP stuff is built into the cable modem too, so you may have to disable
    >> that in the cable modem setup. If you don't need any port forwarding or other
    >> router functions you can get away with a simple switch and use the NAT and DHCP
    >> built into the cable modem.

    > You're assuming he already has a Cable modem (ie to handle the PPPoE).
    >
    > I was running on the assumption that he didn't - otherwise there
    > really isn't much of a need for an additional router of any
    > description.

    Classic.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 15, 2007
  10. mario

    Earl Grey Guest

    mario wrote:
    > Thanks to all for the info.
    >
    > Strange but I thought I had done what Earl suggested.
    > Anyway it's all up and running cheers.
    >
    > I'll try one of the open source firmware in the future.
    > Just for fun :)
    >
    > mario

    Mine is running hyperwrt 2.1b1+Thibor15c
    http://www.thibor.co.uk/
    It handles upnp and the bittorrent issues that the original firmware
    had, and reserved dhcp addresses, very flexible.

    Earl Grey, Jan 15, 2007
  11. mario

    Earl Grey Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:51:13 +1300, Mark Robinson
    >> <2tod.net> exclaimed:

    >>> On the WRT54GL:
    >>> Once that's done do the following on each computer on your network:
    >>> Then you should be able to see your cable modem on
    >>>
    >>> http://192.168.100.1/
    >>>
    >>> and the internet at large.
    >>>
    >>> The DHCP stuff is built into the cable modem too, so you may have to disable
    >>> that in the cable modem setup. If you don't need any port forwarding or other
    >>> router functions you can get away with a simple switch and use the NAT and DHCP
    >>> built into the cable modem.

    >> You're assuming he already has a Cable modem (ie to handle the PPPoE).
    >>
    >> I was running on the assumption that he didn't - otherwise there
    >> really isn't much of a need for an additional router of any
    >> description.

    > Classic.

    LOL, so many assumptions.

    Earl Grey, Jan 15, 2007
  12. mario

    mario Guest

    > Mine is running hyperwrt 2.1b1+Thibor15c
    > http://www.thibor.co.uk/
    > It handles upnp and the bittorrent issues that the original firmware
    > had, and reserved dhcp addresses, very flexible.

    I just flashed the router to that one.
    Heaps more options. Now I just have to figure out what they all mean lol.

    mario

    mario, Jan 15, 2007
  13. mario

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mark Robinson <2tod.net> wrote in news:45AADC3D.5070705
    @blackhole.zl2tod.net:

    >> Don't you need a router that supports PPPoE for Paradise Cable?

    > No.

    Paradise CABLE uses an ethernet connection and all you need to know is your
    IP settings that you would put into a PC if you were going to use the
    Static IP they assign you. Instead of putting them into your computer, you
    put them into the firewall you build yourself or the router you buy.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 15, 2007
  14. mario

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:21:19 +1300, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> exclaimed:

    >>> On the WRT54GL:
    >>> Once that's done do the following on each computer on your network:
    >>> Then you should be able to see your cable modem on
    >>>
    >>> http://192.168.100.1/
    >>>
    >>> and the internet at large.
    >>>
    >>> The DHCP stuff is built into the cable modem too, so you may have to disable
    >>> that in the cable modem setup. If you don't need any port forwarding or other
    >>> router functions you can get away with a simple switch and use the NAT and DHCP
    >>> built into the cable modem.

    >> You're assuming he already has a Cable modem (ie to handle the PPPoE).
    >>
    >> I was running on the assumption that he didn't - otherwise there
    >> really isn't much of a need for an additional router of any
    >> description.

    >Classic.

    What a fucking tosser.

    He asked how to make Paradise Cable work on his WRT54GL, and said that
    he didn't need the wireless in the WRT.

    It might have been an incorrect assumption that he didn't already have
    a PPPoE modem/router, and hence didn't need a router at all, but for
    you to carry on like a pathetic piece of shit just makes you look like
    the arrogant piece of shit loser you obviously are.

    Get fucked.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 15, 2007
  15. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:21:19 +1300, Mark Robinson
    > <2tod.net> exclaimed:

    >>> You're assuming he already has a Cable modem (ie to handle the PPPoE).
    >>>
    >>> I was running on the assumption that he didn't - otherwise there
    >>> really isn't much of a need for an additional router of any
    >>> description.

    >> Classic.

    > What a fucking tosser.
    >
    > He asked how to make Paradise Cable work on his WRT54GL, and said that
    > he didn't need the wireless in the WRT.
    >
    > It might have been an incorrect assumption that he didn't already have
    > a PPPoE modem/router, and hence didn't need a router at all, but for
    > you to carry on like a pathetic piece of shit just makes you look like
    > the arrogant piece of shit loser you obviously are.
    >
    > Get fucked.

    It was also an incorrect assumption that PPPoE was involved as it was an
    incorrect assumption that you can get cable internet without a Telstraclear
    supplied cable modem.

    Et tu Brutus.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 15, 2007
  16. mario

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:11:27 +1300, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> exclaimed:

    >> Get fucked.

    >It was also an incorrect assumption that PPPoE was involved as it was an
    >incorrect assumption that you can get cable internet without a Telstraclear
    >supplied cable modem.

    What do you think the "Telstraclear supplied cable modem" does?

    And I know in some areas you can use your own.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 15, 2007
  17. mario

    bok Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:11:27 +1300, Mark Robinson
    > <2tod.net> exclaimed:
    >
    >>> Get fucked.

    >> It was also an incorrect assumption that PPPoE was involved as it was an
    >> incorrect assumption that you can get cable internet without a Telstraclear
    >> supplied cable modem.

    > What do you think the "Telstraclear supplied cable modem" does?

    Unlike xDSL, a T/C cable connection doesn't require or use PPPoE. A
    cable modem is a transparent (layer 3) bride that places the node (PC or
    router) that's connected to the USB or ethernet interface in direct
    contact with ISP's UBR at the MAC layer.

    When configuring a router the *does* support PPPoE you need to select
    the option to configure a static IP address instead.

    bok, Jan 15, 2007
  18. mario

    bok Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> mario wrote:
    >>> Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup this router?
    >>> I'm on Paradise cable.
    >>> I can login to the router through 192.168.1.1 ok.
    >>> At the moment I don't need wireless.
    >>>
    >>> Just can't seem to get the internet to work.
    >>> Any tips from someone that has used this make/model?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> mario

    > On the WRT54GL:
    >> Default name is blank, default password is admin.
    >> Select static in the dropdown box on the setup page
    >> Enter the IP address and gateway that Paradise gave you.
    >> subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    >> DNS is 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12
    >> DHCP enabled
    >> Save settings

    > Once that's done do the following on each computer on your network:
    >> Set your network connection to obtain ip automatically and obtain DNS
    >> server address automatically.

    > Then you should be able to see your cable modem on
    >
    > http://192.168.100.1/
    >
    > and the internet at large.
    >
    > The DHCP stuff is built into the cable modem too, so you may have to disable
    > that in the cable modem setup.

    For what its worth I don't believe you need to disable DHCP in the Cable
    Modem with a static IP address configured in the router. The DHCP server
    in the surfboard modems is only active when the cable modem is 'out of
    service' (last time I checked mine allocated addresses in the
    192.168.100.11 through 42 range).

    As far as I can tell it would only be of use if the ISP (T/C/Paradise)
    assigned addresses dynamically instead of statically and the customer
    had more than one device connected to the CPE interface on the CM, which
    isn't recommended or supported.

    bok, Jan 15, 2007
  19. mario

    bok Guest

    bok wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:11:27 +1300, Mark Robinson
    >> <2tod.net> exclaimed:

    >>> It was also an incorrect assumption that PPPoE was involved as it was an
    >>> incorrect assumption that you can get cable internet without a
    >>> Telstraclear
    >>> supplied cable modem.

    >> What do you think the "Telstraclear supplied cable modem" does?

    > Unlike xDSL, a T/C cable connection doesn't require or use PPPoE. A
    > cable modem is a transparent (layer 3) bride that places the node (PC or
    > router) that's connected to the USB or ethernet interface in direct
    > contact with ISP's UBR at the MAC layer.

    oops silly me :) I meant to say layer 2 bridge. On the other hand
    DOCSIS modems implement do implement the IP layer (layer 3), TCP and UDP
    for other purposes such as supporting the inbuilt http admin interface,
    tftp for transferring config files from the head-end ....

    bok, Jan 15, 2007