Wrong God

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Sep 6, 2010.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    OldGringo38, Sep 6, 2010

  2. OldGringo38

    chuckcar Guest

    chuckcar, Sep 6, 2010

  3. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/5/2010 9:45 PM Just to please that super-ego, chuckcar wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38<> wrote in
    >
    >> http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/09/06/world/pstan/pstan-hpMedi
    >> um.jpg

    > Why do I get this mental Image of Graham Chapman in robes about to run
    > *very* fast to stage left?

    <g> It's Pakistani's on high ground looking at the flood.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Sep 6, 2010
  4. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    Meat Plow, Sep 6, 2010
  5. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 21:18:23 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/09/06/world/pstan/pstan-

    > hpMedium.jpg
    >

    > There is only one God. A boson particle they spent trillions of dollars
    > to find evidence of existence but haven't so far :)

    One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    the man God intended him to be.

    OldGringo38, Sep 6, 2010
  6. OldGringo38

    Mike Yetto Guest

    OldGringo38 <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >following tidbit of information:
    >> On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 21:18:23 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/09/06/world/pstan/pstan-

    >> hpMedium.jpg
    >>

    >> There is only one God. A boson particle they spent trillions of dollars
    >> to find evidence of existence but haven't so far :)
    >>

    >One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >the man God intended him to be.

    Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it
    to be.

    Mike "proof of god turns religion into science" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 6, 2010
  7. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/6/2010 9:22 AM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Yetto wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38<> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:

    >>> hpMedium.jpg
    >>>

    >>> There is only one God. A boson particle they spent trillions of dollars
    >>> to find evidence of existence but haven't so far :)
    >>>

    >> One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >> the man God intended him to be.

    > Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it
    > to be.
    >
    > Mike "proof of god turns religion into science" Yetto

    Only when you are looking for your 15 seconds of fame.

    OldGringo38, Sep 6, 2010
  8. OldGringo38

    Mike Yetto Guest

    OldGringo38 <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On 9/6/2010 9:22 AM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Yetto wrote the
    >following tidbit of information:
    >> OldGringo38<> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>> On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >>> following tidbit of information:

    >>> One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >>> the man God intended him to be.

    >> Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it
    >> to be.
    >>
    >> Mike "proof of god turns religion into science" Yetto

    >Only when you are looking for your 15 seconds of fame.

    If you are going to paraphrase Andy Warhol keep in mind that he
    mentiond fifteen *minutes* of fame.

    Mike "proof of mankind goes back more than that" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 6, 2010
  9. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-09-06, Mike Yetto <> wrote:
    > OldGringo38 <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >>following tidbit of information:

    >>> hpMedium.jpg
    >>>

    >>> There is only one God. A boson particle they spent trillions of dollars
    >>> to find evidence of existence but haven't so far :)
    >>>

    >>One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >>the man God intended him to be.

    > Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it
    > to be.

    Now that would be an interesting time! If the gods we imagine ever do
    cease to be imaginary, we'd better hope that we've imagined them harmless.
    Perhaps we should start working on that right now, and very carefully.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 6, 2010
  10. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/6/2010 10:54 AM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Yetto wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38<> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> On 9/6/2010 9:22 AM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Yetto wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:
    >>> OldGringo38<> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it
    >>> to be.
    >>>
    >>> Mike "proof of god turns religion into science" Yetto

    >> Only when you are looking for your 15 seconds of fame.

    > If you are going to paraphrase Andy Warhol keep in mind that he
    > mentiond fifteen *minutes* of fame.
    >
    > Mike "proof of mankind goes back more than that" Yetto

    15 MINUTES here on USENET for those who suffer with an uncontrollable
    compulsive behavior disorder is a long time, and would use up too much
    bandwidth.
    Old "a term used by those caught up in beliefs" Gringo38

    OldGringo38, Sep 6, 2010
  11. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 20:02:10 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2010-09-06, Mike Yetto <> wrote:
    >> OldGringo38 <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>>On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >>>following tidbit of information:

    >>>One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >>>the man God intended him to be.

    >> Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it to be.

    > Now that would be an interesting time! If the gods we imagine ever do
    > cease to be imaginary, we'd better hope that we've imagined them
    > harmless. Perhaps we should start working on that right now, and very
    > carefully.

    What if they are alien beings as hypothesized by those who claim our gods
    are nothing more than space travelers that brought technology and
    religion to ancient civilizations?

    Meat Plow, Sep 6, 2010
  12. OldGringo38

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Whiskers <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On 2010-09-06, Mike Yetto <> wrote:
    >> OldGringo38 <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>>On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >>>following tidbit of information:

    >>>One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >>>the man God intended him to be.

    >> Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it
    >> to be.

    >Now that would be an interesting time! If the gods we imagine ever do
    >cease to be imaginary, we'd better hope that we've imagined them harmless.
    >Perhaps we should start working on that right now, and very carefully.

    When the actions of a god can be shown to have an observable
    effect we will be able to determine the physical cause used.
    This is the first principle of the scientific method as stated by
    Thales of Miletus in 525 BCE.

    Then godhood will fall into the realm of science where it will be
    subject to confirmation and correction. Religious leaders would
    want no part of this as *Truth* would no longer be theirs alone.

    Mike "proof is antithetical to *Truth*" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 6, 2010
  13. OldGringo38

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Meat Plow <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 20:02:10 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    >> On 2010-09-06, Mike Yetto <> wrote:
    >>> OldGringo38 <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it to be.

    >> Now that would be an interesting time! If the gods we imagine ever do
    >> cease to be imaginary, we'd better hope that we've imagined them
    >> harmless. Perhaps we should start working on that right now, and very
    >> carefully.

    >What if they are alien beings as hypothesized by those who claim our gods
    >are nothing more than space travelers that brought technology and
    >religion to ancient civilizations?

    Are you proposing that the Mormons or the Scientologists are
    correct? Perhaps they both are, or perhaps the SyFy show
    "Stargate SG-1" is a documentary.

    Mike "and what of Chthulu?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 6, 2010
  14. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 17:18:40 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> Now that would be an interesting time! If the gods we imagine ever do
    >>> cease to be imaginary, we'd better hope that we've imagined them
    >>> harmless. Perhaps we should start working on that right now, and very
    >>> carefully.

    >>What if they are alien beings as hypothesized by those who claim our
    >>gods are nothing more than space travelers that brought technology and
    >>religion to ancient civilizations?

    > Are you proposing that the Mormons or the Scientologists are correct?
    > Perhaps they both are, or perhaps the SyFy show "Stargate SG-1" is a
    > documentary.
    >
    > Mike "and what of Chthulu?" Yetto

    More along the lines of Von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods than
    Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu :)

    Meat Plow, Sep 6, 2010
  15. OldGringo38

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Meat Plow <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 17:18:40 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:

    >> Meat Plow <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>>What if they are alien beings as hypothesized by those who claim our
    >>>gods are nothing more than space travelers that brought technology and
    >>>religion to ancient civilizations?

    >> Are you proposing that the Mormons or the Scientologists are correct?
    >> Perhaps they both are, or perhaps the SyFy show "Stargate SG-1" is a
    >> documentary.
    >>
    >> Mike "and what of Chthulu?" Yetto

    >More along the lines of Von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods than
    >Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu :)

    So, _Stargate SG-1_ it is.

    Mike "Dr. Daniel Jackson was right all along" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 6, 2010
  16. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-09-06, OldGringo38 <> wrote:
    > On 9/6/2010 2:02 PM Just to please that super-ego, Whiskers wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> On 2010-09-06, Mike Yetto<> wrote:
    >>> OldGringo38<> writes and having writ moves on.

    [...]

    >>> Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it
    >>> to be.

    >> Now that would be an interesting time! If the gods we imagine ever do
    >> cease to be imaginary, we'd better hope that we've imagined them harmless.
    >> Perhaps we should start working on that right now, and very carefully.
    >>

    > BEST ANSWER AWARD *A+A+A+*

    <bows graciously>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 7, 2010
  17. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-09-06, Mike Yetto <> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>On 2010-09-06, Mike Yetto <> wrote:
    >>> OldGringo38 <> writes and having writ moves on.

    [...]

    >>> Or perhaps god will stop being the mythic figure man created it
    >>> to be.

    >>Now that would be an interesting time! If the gods we imagine ever do
    >>cease to be imaginary, we'd better hope that we've imagined them harmless.
    >>Perhaps we should start working on that right now, and very carefully.

    > When the actions of a god can be shown to have an observable
    > effect we will be able to determine the physical cause used.
    > This is the first principle of the scientific method as stated by
    > Thales of Miletus in 525 BCE.

    Miletus would seem to have believed that no action of a god could have an
    effect observable by humans.

    Certainly our God-given intelligence is arguably better occupied looking
    for explanations rather than resorting to attribution of everything to a
    deity, as that is an intellectual dead end; however that does not preclude
    the actual existence of something that might as well be referred to as
    "God", let alone ones opinion or faith that such a thing might or does
    exist.

    > Then godhood will fall into the realm of science where it will be
    > subject to confirmation and correction.

    That supposes that your "God" is in some way a being that can experience
    "godhood", or that godhood can somehow be acquired or awarded (and thus
    also rejected or lost or taken away); that is a rather primitive and
    limited concept - such as Miletus might have been thinking of.

    > Religious leaders would
    > want no part of this as *Truth* would no longer be theirs alone.
    >
    > Mike "proof is antithetical to *Truth*" Yetto

    Religious leaders (at least those worth listening to) usually know how to
    distinguish knowledge from faith; a distinction that often eludes those
    who reject "religion" or "God", or who have a primitive concept of those
    things.

    St Paul seems to have known this:

    Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease;
    where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is
    knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in
    part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a
    child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a
    child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see
    but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.
    Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

    And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of
    these is love.

    (1 Corinthians 13, 8-13 'New International Version'
    <http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2013&version=NIV>

    Apropos of which, translations are tricky things; compare the various
    renderings of that chapter in English with this essay about it
    <http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris/Humanities/Corinthians.html>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 7, 2010
  18. OldGringo38

    Barry Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 07:57:19 -0500, OldGringo38
    <> wrote:

    >On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >following tidbit of information:
    >> On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 21:18:23 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/09/06/world/pstan/pstan-

    >> hpMedium.jpg
    >>

    >> There is only one God. A boson particle they spent trillions of dollars
    >> to find evidence of existence but haven't so far :)
    >>

    >One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >the man God intended him to be.

    Man has always been the way God wants him.

    Barry, Sep 8, 2010
  19. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/7/2010 9:17 PM Just to please that super-ego, Barry wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 07:57:19 -0500, OldGringo38
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:

    >>> hpMedium.jpg
    >>>

    >>> There is only one God. A boson particle they spent trillions of dollars
    >>> to find evidence of existence but haven't so far :)
    >>>

    >> One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >> the man God intended him to be.

    > Man has always been the way God wants him.

    Silly <g>

    OldGringo38, Sep 8, 2010
  20. OldGringo38

    Barry Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 22:06:26 -0500, OldGringo38
    <> wrote:

    >On 9/7/2010 9:17 PM Just to please that super-ego, Barry wrote the
    >following tidbit of information:
    >> On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 07:57:19 -0500, OldGringo38
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 9/6/2010 6:05 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >>> following tidbit of information:

    >>> One day man will quit looking for his 15 seconds of fame and become the
    >>> the man God intended him to be.

    >> Man has always been the way God wants him.
    >>

    >Silly <g>

    Of course, but if God existed and was almighty he would have
    everything just as he wants at all times.

    Barry, Sep 8, 2010