Wrong amount of memory showing up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I was working on a friends computer because he was complaining that it was
    running way too slow and initially concluded that the problem was he was
    trying to run WinXP Home Edition SP2 with only 96MB of RAM. Now this number
    seemed funny right away because he said when he bought the machine last year
    the salesman told him it had everything he needed to run WinXP comfortably.
    I knew XP needed at least 128MB to run so told him we should check his
    memory stick for fault. When I opened his machine, to no surprise it was a
    128MB stick in slot 1. I took it out and put it in slot 2 and restarted his
    machine and it still only showed up as 96MB.
    He was looking to add memory anyway so I told him that he should at least
    boost his memory up to 512MB. We went out and bought him a GB Micro 512MB
    PC2100 DDR SDRAM 266MHz stick of memory to add. When I put it in slot 1, it
    showed up as 512MB. When put in slot 2, it showed up as 512MB. So I decided
    to add the 128MB memory to slot 2 to see what would show up with 512MB in
    slot 1. It shows up as having 608MB of installed memory instead of 640MB.
    What would cause a stick of 128MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (266MHz) memory to show
    up as 96MB and is still okay to use with the 512MB stick? They are both the
    same clock speed (266MHz) and his computer is alot faster now with the 608MB
    installed. Should I just leave the 128 stick out or let it run as 96MB? I am
    also not sure if it ever did show up as 128MB as I hadn't seen or talked to
    this friend since he bought this machine and he isn't sure either as he
    knows very little about computers period.
    TIA and sorry for the length of the post,
    Mike

    Mike, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Mike

    Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > I was working on a friends computer because he was complaining that it was
    > running way too slow and initially concluded that the problem was he was
    > trying to run WinXP Home Edition SP2 with only 96MB of RAM. Now this number
    > seemed funny right away because he said when he bought the machine last year
    > the salesman told him it had everything he needed to run WinXP comfortably.
    > I knew XP needed at least 128MB to run so told him we should check his
    > memory stick for fault. When I opened his machine, to no surprise it was a
    > 128MB stick in slot 1. I took it out and put it in slot 2 and restarted his
    > machine and it still only showed up as 96MB.
    > He was looking to add memory anyway so I told him that he should at least
    > boost his memory up to 512MB. We went out and bought him a GB Micro 512MB
    > PC2100 DDR SDRAM 266MHz stick of memory to add. When I put it in slot 1, it
    > showed up as 512MB. When put in slot 2, it showed up as 512MB. So I decided
    > to add the 128MB memory to slot 2 to see what would show up with 512MB in
    > slot 1. It shows up as having 608MB of installed memory instead of 640MB.
    > What would cause a stick of 128MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (266MHz) memory to show
    > up as 96MB and is still okay to use with the 512MB stick? They are both the
    > same clock speed (266MHz) and his computer is alot faster now with the 608MB
    > installed. Should I just leave the 128 stick out or let it run as 96MB? I am
    > also not sure if it ever did show up as 128MB as I hadn't seen or talked to
    > this friend since he bought this machine and he isn't sure either as he
    > knows very little about computers period.
    > TIA and sorry for the length of the post,
    > Mike

    It IS possible the memory stick is defective.
    For the price of memory, and the fact that the friend already bought
    512MB why not just forget the 128 stick?

    LB

    , Jan 4, 2005

  3. Sounds like you've got a 32Mb on board video card

    Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Mike

    jose 3030 Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:16:53 GMT, "Thunderbolt & Lightfoot"
    <> wrote:

    >Sounds like you've got a 32Mb on board video card

    Didnt even think of that.
    Good catch.

    jose 3030, Jan 4, 2005
  5. Mike

    Plato Guest

    Mike wrote:

    You have an onboard video card that is using 32 megs of your ram for
    itself.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 4, 2005
  6. Mike

    Brian Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Mike wrote:
    > >

    > You have an onboard video card that is using 32 megs of your ram for
    > itself.

    before you confuse him/her... he/she has an on-board video CHIP which is
    allocating 32mb RAM for itself... commonly known as shared memory... Dear
    OP, if you have a bar of chocolate with 16 chunks and somebody (probably a
    plump lady) takes 4 away then you are "sharing" it with him/her. you would
    be pissed off and hungry, right? well, the same goes for your RAM aswell.
    its (unwillingly)sharing and getting pissed off by that "plump lady"....

    Brian, Jan 4, 2005
  7. Mike

    jose 3030 Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:55:52 +0100, "Brian" <> wrote:

    >"Plato" <|@|.|> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Mike wrote:
    >> >

    >> You have an onboard video card that is using 32 megs of your ram for
    >> itself.
    >>

    >before you confuse him/her... he/she has an on-board video CHIP which is
    >allocating 32mb RAM for itself... commonly known as shared memory... Dear
    >OP, if you have a bar of chocolate with 16 chunks and somebody (probably a
    >plump lady) takes 4 away then you are "sharing" it with him/her. you would
    >be pissed off and hungry, right? well, the same goes for your RAM aswell.
    >its (unwillingly)sharing and getting pissed off by that "plump lady"....

    Why must we pick on innocent fat women? LOL.

    jose 3030, Jan 4, 2005