    media.The old ones were DVD+R .I had no problems writing to those. Do the RW
    blanks have to be formatted before I can write to them? Thanks.
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Ronald Murray

    Thor Guest

    "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    news:qdYcd.19000$cr4.14603@edtnps84...
    > Hello
    > I've written to my DVD several times. I purchased some new DVD+RW blank
    > media.The old ones were DVD+R .I had no problems writing to those. Do the
    > RW
    > blanks have to be formatted before I can write to them? Thanks.
    > ron

    if you are using a packet-writing application to burn data to the discs,
    then yes. The easy way to tell, is if you had to format the DVD+R discs that
    you have been using, then you will have to format the DVD+RW discs to use
    them in the same manner (packet writing). Packet writing requires formatting
    of the media prior to use. Session writing does not require pre-formatting.
    Session writing is where you start a program dedicated to burning discs,
    like Nero, or EasyCD Creator, etc. and burn files in "sessions" from within
    the session burning software program. Packet writing is meant to make
    burning files to the disc as simple and transparant as possible, by allowing
    such things like saving directly to the disc from within most applications,
    or dragging and dropping files to and from the disc as if it were a floppy
    disk or zip disk, selectively adding or deleting individual files on the
    disc etc.

    Thor, Oct 19, 2004