    permanent write.

    Can you suggest where I should look?

    , Jul 25, 2008

  2. I'm not sure I understand - you cannot do a permanent write to a
    ReWriteable, but you may have to configure your burning software to use TAO
    (track-at-once) instead of DAO (Disk-at-once) for this job, if you are not
    filling up the disk and want to add or edit contents later.

    The Nero 'InCD' PacketWriting module that impersonates a floppy disk does
    not work in 64bit. It didn't work 3years ago - it does not work today, and
    it probably never will!

    Tony. . .

    <> wrote in message

    > I have been searching in XP x64 for a way of writing files to a CDRW so

    that
    > they can be overwritten, but without success. The Send To command seems

    to do a

    Tony Sperling, Jul 25, 2008

  3. Guest

    I consider the write permanent when the file attribute is read only, just like a
    CD. This is what happened when I Sent a file to a CDRW.

    When a CDRW "impersonates a floppy disk" the files can be overwritten/updated.

    Your reference to "burning software" suggests that XP x64 does not include means
    for Sending files to a CRDW such that the resulting file attribute is
    read/write.

    The Nero InCD that came with my drive advises that it does not support 64 bit.
    Presumably Nero included this feature because Windows did not include that
    functionality.

    In <>, "Tony Sperling" <> writes:
    >I'm not sure I understand - you cannot do a permanent write to a
    >ReWriteable, but you may have to configure your burning software to use TAO
    >(track-at-once) instead of DAO (Disk-at-once) for this job, if you are not
    >filling up the disk and want to add or edit contents later.
    >
    >The Nero 'InCD' PacketWriting module that impersonates a floppy disk does
    >not work in 64bit. It didn't work 3years ago - it does not work today, and
    >it probably never will!
    >

    >Tony. . .
    >

    ><> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have been searching in XP x64 for a way of writing files to a CDRW so

    >that
    >> they can be overwritten, but without success. The Send To command seems

    >to do a
    >> permanent write.
    >>
    >> Can you suggest where I should look?

    , Jul 27, 2008
  4. I don't know, but I do assume that for re-writables you can manually reset
    the attributes as long as the burn isn't finalized. If you use DAO, it is my
    understanding that it is automatically finalized.

    Many devices have the functionality (or can be set up with functionality) to
    do things that are not supported by the driver, so for someone like Nero to
    implement any such thing they need to put driver code inside the app itself.
    Driver function-calls MUST have the same bitness as the OS, as Nero is 32bit
    and InCD is behaving like a driver there is no way for it to do it's 'thing'
    via SysWow. The same goes for a lot of games that install perfectly only to
    then refuse to execute!

    It really has nothing to do with what Windows is supporting under the hood.

    I almost exclusively use my burners for writing complete disks, but I do
    sometimes miss not having InCD at hand, so I've kept a few of the old
    retired machines and I can boot up Win2K if I need it. In short, I believe
    you should try setting the 'Write Method' to 'track-at-once' in the 'Burn'
    tab and disable finalizing and see if you cannot manipulate the attributes
    yourself then? Or, you could perhaps use a VM and do it from there?

    Tony. . .

    P.S. - Do check out Charlies Blog, I believe the issue is given nearly
    complete and exhaustive treatment.

    Tony Sperling, Jul 27, 2008