Writing a website is painful...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Wilkinson, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. Hi there,

    As a Linux user I thought I'd have trouble creating small
    movies for my website, due to the proprietary formats
    used, but to be honest that has been the easiest part,
    thanks to ffmpeg...

    Which format to use? wmv? swf? mov? asf/asx? Most would
    say use shockwave, but because shockwave encoding in
    Linux is currently quite new (I can encode video but not
    audio in my swf's) I'm stuck with mov or wmv for clips
    that require audio...

    MS ceased development of WMP for Mac in January, but Apple
    still develop quicktime Player/plugin for Windows, so I've
    opted for mov, but for all my dial-up owning friends back
    in NZ it means a lengthy plugin download just to allow
    them to play the clips. A few use Macs so they're happy.

    Yet another example of proprietary crap getting in the way
    of a nice computing experience. I'm glad I'm running Linux.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 24, 2006

  2. T'was the Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:31:41 +1000 when I remembered Chris
    Wilkinson <> saying something like this:

    >Which format to use? wmv? swf? mov? asf/asx? Most would
    >say use shockwave, but because shockwave encoding in
    >Linux is currently quite new (I can encode video but not
    >audio in my swf's) I'm stuck with mov or wmv for clips
    >that require audio...

    Tried AVIs encoded with DivX?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 24, 2006

  3. On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:31:41 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > MS ceased development of WMP for Mac in January, but Apple still develop
    > quicktime Player/plugin for Windows, so I've opted for mov, but for all my
    > dial-up owning friends back in NZ it means a lengthy plugin download just
    > to allow them to play the clips. A few use Macs so they're happy.

    Why not use AVI files with Mpeg encoding? Transcode can handle that no
    probs at all.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 24, 2006
  4. In <43fe8a03$> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > As a Linux user I thought I'd have trouble creating small
    > movies for my website, due to the proprietary formats
    > used, but to be honest that has been the easiest part,
    > thanks to ffmpeg...
    >
    > Which format to use? wmv? swf? mov? asf/asx? Most would
    > say use shockwave, but because shockwave encoding in
    > Linux is currently quite new (I can encode video but not
    > audio in my swf's) I'm stuck with mov or wmv for clips
    > that require audio...
    >
    > MS ceased development of WMP for Mac in January, but Apple
    > still develop quicktime Player/plugin for Windows, so I've
    > opted for mov, but for all my dial-up owning friends back
    > in NZ it means a lengthy plugin download just to allow
    > them to play the clips. A few use Macs so they're happy.
    >
    > Yet another example of proprietary crap getting in the way
    > of a nice computing experience. I'm glad I'm running Linux.

    I'd use MPEG-4. ffmpeg can encode in it and it's been supported by most
    media players for at least the last couple of years. It also has the
    advantage that you can stick it straight on many portable players like
    the iPod or PSP.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 24, 2006