Write my own Cookie - how?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Snoopy, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    The Question:

    I want to write my own Cookie to work in IE3. While I have found
    excellent information on Netscape Cookie syntax, for example at:

    www.cookiecentral.com/faq

    I cannot find information of equivalent clarity on IE based Cookies.

    The Background:

    Spamcop have instituted a new log in system (again!). I have obtained
    my username and password and can now use Spamcop again under Netscape.

    However, when I try to enter my username and password under IE3 the
    Spamcop website rejects them, even though it happily accept the same
    information entered through Netscape. I suspect this might be a
    javascript issue with IE3. However, I need Spamcop to work with IE3
    on this old machine as the 'memory footprint' used by Netscape and
    Pegasus mail together (that is what I use when reporting spam) is too
    large and causes this old system to become unstable.

    Then I hit upon an idea. I already have the cookie I want on
    Netscape, so it shouldn't be impossible to manually create a cookie
    file for IE3 using this information. However, I do not understand
    the IE (I believe it has not substantially chaged from IE3 to the
    latest versions of IE) cookie format. How do I extract information
    from the netscape Cookie format to create an IE cookie?

    TIA

    SNOOPY

    --
    Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
    spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

    Snoopy, Jul 22, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...

    > The Question:
    >
    > I want to write my own Cookie to work in IE3. While I have found
    > excellent information on Netscape Cookie syntax, for example at:
    >
    > www.cookiecentral.com/faq
    >
    > I cannot find information of equivalent clarity on IE based Cookies.
    >

    > The Background:
    >
    > Spamcop have instituted a new log in system (again!). I have obtained
    > my username and password and can now use Spamcop again under Netscape.
    >
    > However, when I try to enter my username and password under IE3 the
    > Spamcop website rejects them, even though it happily accept the same
    > information entered through Netscape. I suspect this might be a
    > javascript issue with IE3. However, I need Spamcop to work with IE3
    > on this old machine as the 'memory footprint' used by Netscape and
    > Pegasus mail together (that is what I use when reporting spam) is too
    > large and causes this old system to become unstable.
    >
    > Then I hit upon an idea. I already have the cookie I want on
    > Netscape, so it shouldn't be impossible to manually create a cookie
    > file for IE3 using this information. However, I do not understand
    > the IE (I believe it has not substantially chaged from IE3 to the
    > latest versions of IE) cookie format. How do I extract information
    > from the netscape Cookie format to create an IE cookie?

    I think you are pushing brown stuff uphill as the saying goes. It is too
    much to expect that these ancient obsolete browsers will work with sites
    that are written to modern standards. The issue is not necessarily the
    cookie, it could just as easily be something else.

    Install IE5.0 and then install Mozilla Firefox. I'm sure this will meet
    your needs without causing too many problems in your computer. Install
    some more RAM if you need to.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Snoopy

    Warwick Guest

    "Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message

    > The Question:
    >
    > I want to write my own Cookie to work in IE3. While I have found
    > excellent information on Netscape Cookie syntax, for example at:
    >
    > www.cookiecentral.com/faq
    >
    > I cannot find information of equivalent clarity on IE based Cookies.
    >

    > The Background:
    >
    > Spamcop have instituted a new log in system (again!). I have obtained
    > my username and password and can now use Spamcop again under Netscape.
    >
    > However, when I try to enter my username and password under IE3 the
    > Spamcop website rejects them, even though it happily accept the same
    > information entered through Netscape. I suspect this might be a
    > javascript issue with IE3. However, I need Spamcop to work with IE3
    > on this old machine as the 'memory footprint' used by Netscape and
    > Pegasus mail together (that is what I use when reporting spam) is too
    > large and causes this old system to become unstable.
    >
    > Then I hit upon an idea. I already have the cookie I want on
    > Netscape, so it shouldn't be impossible to manually create a cookie
    > file for IE3 using this information. However, I do not understand
    > the IE (I believe it has not substantially chaged from IE3 to the
    > latest versions of IE) cookie format. How do I extract information
    > from the netscape Cookie format to create an IE cookie?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > SNOOPY
    >

    > --
    > Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
    > spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
    > details
    >
    > --

    Cookies are a bit of space that the author of a web server can use for
    (semi) permanant datastorage. (Otherwise they have none).
    I would think, therefore, that the format of the cookie is entirely up to
    the programmer writing code on the server and completely independant of the
    browser being used.
    Have you tried pasting the cookie from one cookie file to another ? I would
    have thought this might work.

    cheers
    Warwick

    Warwick, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:03:18 +1200, "Warwick"
    <> wrote:

    >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    >>
    >>The Question:
    >>
    >>I want to write my own Cookie to work in IE3. While I have found
    >>excellent information on Netscape Cookie syntax, for example at:
    >>
    >>www.cookiecentral.com/faq
    >>
    >>I cannot find information of equivalent clarity on IE based Cookies.
    >>Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    >>

    >Cookies are a bit of space that the author of a web server can use for
    >(semi) permanant datastorage. (Otherwise they have none).
    >I would think, therefore, that the format of the cookie is entirely up to
    >the programmer writing code on the server

    The content, by value, of the Cookie is entirely up to the owner of
    the website, and will be determined by the programmer writing the code
    - yes. The website owner can determine when the cookie expires for
    instance, whereabouts in the website it will work or whether a secure
    connection is needed for instance.

    The format, however, seems to be 'relatively' standard (from my
    observations of opening IE cookies as text files and looking at them).
    My question is about the format. Not the values that have been
    written into the format.

    >and completely independant of the
    >browser being used.
    >Have you tried pasting the cookie from one cookie file to another ?

    Netscape uses a single file to store all the Cookies. In IE each
    cookie is a separate file. I can copy the Cookie *line* from Netscape
    that refers to the website I want. The question is:

    "How do I turn that line of code into an individual file?"

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:48:13 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >I think you are pushing brown stuff uphill as the saying goes. It is too
    >much to expect that these ancient obsolete browsers will work with sites
    >that are written to modern standards. The issue is not necessarily the
    >cookie, it could just as easily be something else.

    The problem is not the cookie itself, I know that. A cookie is only a
    text file when it comes down to it. I can't create the Cookie because
    IE3 does not work on modern javascript, which I see as a *good* thing!
    That's why I want to keep using IE3 when visiting websites that I
    don't know if I can trust.

    >Install IE5.0 and then install Mozilla Firefox. I'm sure this will meet
    >your needs without causing too many problems in your computer. Install
    >some more RAM if you need to.

    I am already running K-meleon, which is a cut down Mozilla. This
    works, but the footprint is not as light as IE3.

    I take on board your point about installing more RAM.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jul 23, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:48:13 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >I think you are pushing brown stuff uphill as the saying goes. It is too
    > >much to expect that these ancient obsolete browsers will work with sites
    > >that are written to modern standards. The issue is not necessarily the
    > >cookie, it could just as easily be something else.
    > >

    > The problem is not the cookie itself, I know that. A cookie is only a
    > text file when it comes down to it. I can't create the Cookie because
    > IE3 does not work on modern javascript, which I see as a *good* thing!
    > That's why I want to keep using IE3 when visiting websites that I
    > don't know if I can trust.

    Firefox is very good, safe and works well on a Pentium 100.

    IE3 is extremely limited, will simply not work properly with lots of
    sites, not only because of being old but because of bugs as well.

    Using IE3 brings its own risks because patches are not available for
    either IE or Windows 95.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Suddenly, *is n sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > That's why I want to keep using IE3 when visiting websites that I
    > don't know if I can trust.

    Isn't it easier just to turn off all the ActiveX and script support in
    the latest IE?

    Admittedly you will also likely avoid IE5-6 targeted security
    breaches...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and