    sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?

    On your wrist or around your neck?

    Red
    Red Clay, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Red Clay

    Stewy Guest

    "Red Clay" <> wrote in message
    news:iOchb.7079$...
    > So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
    > sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
    >
    > On your wrist or around your neck?

    A waist pouch or directly on the belt. I'm too 'chunky' to have it sliding
    left or right over my stomach.
    Stewy, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Red Clay

    Guest Guest

    Whichever YOU find most comfortable.

    Guest, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Red Clay

    Browntimdc Guest

    "Red Clay" <> wrote in news:iOchb.7079$Eo2.1590
    @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and

    shoot
    > sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
    >
    > On your wrist or around your neck?
    >
    > Red

    Wrist strap for me. Just feels right.

    Tim
    Browntimdc, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Red Clay

    Roger Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:48:14 GMT, "Red Clay" <>
    wrote:

    >So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
    >sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
    >
    >On your wrist or around your neck?
    >
    >Red

    My film P&S (Contax T3 & Olympus Stylus Epic) are about the size you
    mention and both have wrist straps. I use the wrist strap in
    conjunction with the belt case on my right side. It's easy into the
    case when not needed and secure with the wrist strap otherwise. All my
    other cameras are large SLRs and I work those out of a bag or using a
    neck strap. I feel very comfortable with both, but I think for fast
    moving, a light weight P&S hanging from a long tether would be
    uncomfortable for me - OTOH a Nikon F5 w/ heavy zoom feels just about
    right.

    Regards,
    Roger
    Roger, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Red Clay

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Red Clay wrote:

    > So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
    > sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
    >
    > On your wrist or around your neck?
    >
    > Red

    I prefer a wrist strap for a camera that is under 400 grams. Anything
    heavier needs a neck strap for long-term carry.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Red Clay

    Eigenvector Guest

    "Red Clay" <> wrote in message
    > So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
    > sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
    >
    > On your wrist or around your neck?
    >
    > Red

    Personally I perfer the waist pouch to any of the straps. I just don't
    trust that strap to hold the camera steady and stable when walking about.
    Too many times I've banged my camera on trees, rocks, and such.
    Eigenvector, Oct 10, 2003
  8. I hate things around my neck... I always use a wrist strap.

    Greg

    DigitalCameraBasics, Oct 10, 2003
  9. "Red Clay" <> wrote in
    > So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
    > sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?

    A wrist strap is much more convenient, but a neck strap is much more
    secure. Last weekend, I walked across one side of a large bridge
    (Campostella Bridge in Norfolk, VA) and back across the other side, taking
    pictures with my Yashica TLR film camera - with neck strap of course. As I
    dangled it over the railing, about 100 feet above the river, I was
    imagining that I had my Nikon Coolpix 5000 instead, with its wrist strap,
    and I trembled at the thought of it slipping off my wrist and plummeting
    into the river. I plan on doing the bridge walk again, next time with the
    Coolpix, and I'll definitely be using a neck strap.

    --
    To email me, type my 1st name before my last.
    Tony Whitaker, Oct 11, 2003
  10. Red Clay

    Canopus Guest

    "Red Clay" <> wrote in message
    > So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
    > sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
    >
    > On your wrist or around your neck?
    >
    > Red

    A slender neck strap that you can also wrap around your wrist and also put
    the whole kaboozle into a waist pouch. Keep your options open.

    Rob
    Canopus, Oct 11, 2003
  11. I have seen people sometimes use the neck strap as a way to increase
    stability when taking pictures. What they do is raise the camera with one
    hand while draping there arm over the strap as the camera is held to the
    eye. They press down slightly as they hold the camera because they claim it
    gives you more control. I have never found this to be true but maybe it
    works for some people.

    The Old Timer, Oct 12, 2003
  12. Red Clay

    Eigenvector Guest

    "The Old Timer" <The Old > wrote in message
    > I have seen people sometimes use the neck strap as a way to increase
    > stability when taking pictures. What they do is raise the camera with one
    > hand while draping there arm over the strap as the camera is held to the
    > eye. They press down slightly as they hold the camera because they claim

    it
    > gives you more control. I have never found this to be true but maybe it
    > works for some people.

    Its the same principle used for combat slings on rifles. It does work well
    for rifles, not sure a camera strap has the tensile strength that a WWII era
    sling does, but the principle is the same anyway.

    The tension on the strap is for giving your muscles something to push and
    pull against, rather than having to balance themselves in air. The effect
    really stabilizes the arm.

    Eigenvector, Oct 12, 2003