wps54g linksys print server

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by djc, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. djc

    djc Guest

    I have this unit with the latest firmware. Once powered on it works, for
    while. It always stops working and nothing but a power off / power on gets
    it working again. I don't know exactly how long it works before stoping but
    it consistently works after a power cycle and then just stops working. All
    LEDs are good.

    I have tried different channels on my AP (router) with no luck. I'm using
    WPA Personal with tkip and MAC filtering. I have 2 other wireless computers
    on the same network that never have any problems.

    basically, every time I need to print something I have to first power cycle
    the wps54g. Major pain. Linksys support is hilarious. Complete idiots. I
    actually only tried them for a laugh.

    I think this thing just sucks and there is no fix. But I figured I would see
    if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution? (other than buying
    something new of course)

    I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
    working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
    devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
    interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and work
    for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA, mac
    filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
    linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
    key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
    not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
    while.. that should rule out that basic crap.
    djc, Sep 15, 2006

  2. On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:24:17 -0400, "djc" <> wrote:

    >I have this unit with the latest firmware. Once powered on it works, for
    >while. It always stops working and nothing but a power off / power on gets
    >it working again. I don't know exactly how long it works before stoping but
    >it consistently works after a power cycle and then just stops working. All
    >LEDs are good.
    >
    >I have tried different channels on my AP (router) with no luck. I'm using
    >WPA Personal with tkip and MAC filtering. I have 2 other wireless computers
    >on the same network that never have any problems.
    >
    >basically, every time I need to print something I have to first power cycle
    >the wps54g. Major pain. Linksys support is hilarious. Complete idiots. I
    >actually only tried them for a laugh.
    >
    >I think this thing just sucks and there is no fix. But I figured I would see
    >if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution? (other than buying
    >something new of course)
    >
    >I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
    >working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
    >devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
    >interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and work
    >for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA, mac
    >filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
    >linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
    >key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
    >not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
    >while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

    I'm really glad you posted your problem... I almost bought that unit,
    (because I have a Linksys WRT54G that works fine), but found a
    reconditioned Netgear WGPS606 for $50 at Fry's (vs $100 new), so I
    bought that instead. I was almost wishing I had got the Linksys while
    trying to set up the Netgear, but once I got it installed, it's been
    great. It supports two USB printers, as well as up to 4 computers
    connected by ethernet cables. I tested it and found that it will also
    support my hacked Tivo, so it's been a real winner for me. I got it
    about a week ago, so if you're near a Fry's, you might give it a try.

    Charlie Hoffpauir
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Sep 15, 2006

  3. If your other two computers have no problems using the print server, then the
    one computer is probably disconnecting to save power. Right-click on the
    connection and check the power settings.

    BTW, tech support personnel follow a scripted set of questions to ask. This
    will fix 90% of the the problems presented. However, thinking "outside the
    box" is not in their realm.

    MD

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=, Sep 15, 2006
  4. djc

    DavidT Guest

    i had a simular problem with my D-Link PS would only last a day....switched
    back to my Netgear WGPS606 qand the thing is rock solid...only had to power
    cycle once in the last 30+ days...agree a bit of a pain to set the netgear
    up but it is a good PS

    DavidT, Sep 15, 2006
  5. djc

    djc Guest

    thanks for the reply. To clarify, when I say the other computers don't have
    any problems I mean they don't have any problems staying connected to the
    network (the AP). When the print server stops working it really stops
    working. No computers can connect to it. Pings just time out.

    ya, I know what you mean about the tech following a script. Its extremely
    frustrating for someone that is moderately knowledgable to have to talk to
    them since its likely the knowledgable person has already done those things.

    thanks again.

    djc, Sep 18, 2006
  6. djc

    Guest

    I have exactly the same problem with two of these boxes... No solution
    so far. Have you founf anything already?

    TAX

    djc wrote:

> [...]
    > >> buying
    > >> something new of course)
    > >>
    > >> I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
    > >> working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
    > >> devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
    > >> interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and
    > >> work
    > >> for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA,
    > >> mac
    > >> filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
    > >> linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
    > >> key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
    > >> not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
    > >> while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

    , Nov 17, 2006
  7. djc

    Lem Guest

    djc wrote:
> [...]
    >>> buying
    >>> something new of course)
    >>>
    >>> I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
    >>> working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
    >>> devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
    >>> interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and
    >>> work
    >>> for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA,
    >>> mac
    >>> filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
    >>> linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
    >>> key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
    >>> not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
    >>> while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

    There's a forum especially for Linksys print servers:
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Nov 17, 2006