WPS WiFi w. Vista on Intel 4965AGN

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by dbird, Oct 7, 2008.

  1. dbird

    dbird Guest

    I am trying to connect my Dell 1720 w. Vista Home to a Wireless-N router
    using WiFi Protected Setup aka WPS.

    The adapter is an Intel 4965AGN which, according to the Intel website is
    certified for WPS.

    I can connect to the router with no security using the 1720/4965AGN. I
    have already configured another computer to connect to the router
    successfully with WPS.

    Here's the problem:

    When I try to modify the Wireless Network properties of the 1720/4965AGN
    connection in the security tab from open to WPS, there are _no_ WPS
    options in the selection list. There are only the open, shared,
    WPA2-Personal/Enterprise, WPA-Personal/Enterprise, 802.1x, and Intel -
    Open w 802.1x/WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise.

    Yes, I know that I could do the workaround using WPA whatever, but being
    WPS certified, there should be no need for that. Dell tech support is
    useless even though I have the 24/7 support. They want me to pay $ for
    an "advanced software problem", which I will not do of course.

    Can anyone please shed some insight on this? Does the list of properties
    somehow come from the router making this a compatibility issue maybe of
    N versions?

    Thanks in advance,

    Dave
    dbird, Oct 7, 2008

  2. dbird

    Barb Bowman Guest

    WPS would not show up in the security tab. that is not how it works.
    what router are you using? are you using a push button
    implementation, WPS/WCN over a wired connection or wireless
    connection? Describe the steps you are taking.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Oct 7, 2008

  3. dbird

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 7, 3:09 am, dbird <> wrote:
    > I am trying to connect my Dell 1720 w. Vista Home to a Wireless-N router
    > using WiFi Protected Setup aka WPS.
    >
    > The adapter is an Intel 4965AGN which, according to the Intel website is
    > certified for WPS.
    >
    > I can connect to the router with no security using the 1720/4965AGN. I
    > have already configured another computer to connect to the router
    > successfully with WPS.
    >
    > Here's the problem:
    >
    > When I try to modify the Wireless Network properties of the 1720/4965AGN
    > connection in the security tab from open to WPS, there are _no_ WPS
    > options in the selection list. There are only the open, shared,
    > WPA2-Personal/Enterprise, WPA-Personal/Enterprise, 802.1x, and Intel -
    > Open w 802.1x/WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise.
    >
    > Yes, I know that I could do the workaround using WPA whatever, but being
    > WPS certified, there should be no need for that. Dell tech support is
    > useless even though I have the 24/7 support. They want me to pay $ for
    > an "advanced software problem", which I will not do of course.
    >
    > Can anyone please shed some insight on this? Does the list of properties
    > somehow come from the router making this a compatibility issue maybe of
    > N versions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dave

    WPS seesm to only really work if you are using the adapter's enhanced
    management system -- Intel PROset. I only seen WPS with this and it
    does not seem to be available with Wireless Zero Configuration.
    smlunatick, Oct 7, 2008
  4. dbird

    dbird Guest

    Thanks Barb for the reply.

    I'm using an Airlink model AR680W. I've set up the other laptop using
    both the button and the PIN method with WPS. Works on that one both
    ways, but of course both the adapter and the router in that case are
    Airlink. The connection is set up via wireless. I'm trying to set up the
    1720/4965AGN via wireless also.

    When attempting the setup with the 1720/4965AGN/wireless I have tried
    two methods. Modifying the properties of the connection in the security
    tab, and setting up a manual connection and selecting the type of
    connection there; amounts to the same thing in that the same menu of
    security types come up both ways.

    Incidentally, the router is already configured to enable WPS, and there
    is a button to add a wireless device. But the procedure always is
    supposed to begin with the adapter. At least according to everything I
    have always read. The router button to add is supposed to be pressed
    after initiating the request for a new connection type from the adapter,
    and you go from there. The whole procedure with Airlink on both ends
    runs like this:

    1. Adapter: press WPS connect.
    2. Adapter: Choose PIN or Push Button method. From here I describe PIN.
    3. Adapter: Copy down PIN issued by adapter.
    4. Router: Press Add Wireless Device button.
    5. Router: Enter PIN copied from adapter, press connect
    6. Router/Adapter: Acknowledgment of WPS connection on both adapter and
    router.

    Thanks again,

    Dave

    dbird, Oct 7, 2008
  5. dbird

    dbird Guest

    Where/how do I get into Intel PROset within Vista?

    Don't think I'm using WZO since I have suppressed broadcast of the SSID.
    I had/have to do the initial setup/connect manually.

    Thanks for the reply,

    Dave

    dbird, Oct 7, 2008
  6. dbird

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 7, 3:05 pm, dbird <> wrote:
    > Where/how do I get into Intel PROset within Vista?
    >
    > Don't think I'm using WZO since I have suppressed broadcast of the SSID.
    > I had/have to do the initial setup/connect manually.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply,
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > smlunatick wrote:
    > > On Oct 7, 3:09 am, dbird <> wrote:
    > >> I am trying to connect my Dell 1720 w. Vista Home to a Wireless-N router
    > >> using WiFi Protected Setup aka WPS.

    > >> The adapter is an Intel 4965AGN which, according to the Intel website is
    > >> certified for WPS.
    > >> snip

    > > WPS seesm to only really work if you are using the adapter's enhanced
    > > management system -- Intel PROset.  I only seen WPS with this and it
    > > does not seem to be available with Wireless Zero Configuration.- Hide quoted text -

    From Intel or your laptop's manufacturer's web site. I just set up 2
    laptops with the 4965AGN onto two routers with WPS system. These are
    using the WZC and does not have WPS settings inside the Windows.
    Then, a third laptop came to the office and it was using the Intel
    PROset management software. In trying to test this laptop, on one of
    the WPS enabled routers, the Intel PROset was requesting the WPS
    code. As soon as the code was entered, the complete Wireless WPA2 key
    was copied directly into the settings.
    smlunatick, Oct 8, 2008
  7. dbird

    Barb Bowman Guest

    so, WCN over wireless (part of WPS) requires Vista SP1 and a hotfix
    which vendors are distributing and AFAIK, not MS. QFE942567

    HP has it posted for some of their systems. Here is one (64 bit)
    that HP has up:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2100&product=3752245

    Barb Bowman, Oct 8, 2008
  8. dbird

    dbird Guest

    Thanks for the digging. I followed this into MS. Looks like it's
    official that it's available _only_ through the system vendors.
    Evidently there are 32 as well as 64 bit versions from MS.

    Dave

    dbird, Oct 9, 2008
  9. dbird

    dbird Guest

    Below:

    smlunatick wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 3:05 pm, dbird <> wrote:
    >> Where/how do I get into Intel PROset within Vista?
    >>
    >> Don't think I'm using WZO since I have suppressed broadcast of the SSID.
    >> I had/have to do the initial setup/connect manually.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the reply,
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    >> smlunatick wrote:
    >>> snip

    > From Intel or your laptop's manufacturer's web site. I just set up 2
    > laptops with the 4965AGN onto two routers with WPS system. These are
    > using the WZC and does not have WPS settings inside the Windows.
    > Then, a third laptop came to the office and it was using the Intel
    > PROset management software. In trying to test this laptop, on one of
    > the WPS enabled routers, the Intel PROset was requesting the WPS
    > code. As soon as the code was entered, the complete Wireless WPA2 key
    > was copied directly into the settings.

    Found it on the Dell site finally. It's an "optional" download. I
    installed it, but there doesn't seem to be any difference in response
    that I can tell. (version 11.something)

    Re your experience with the WPS enabled router/Proset s/w. Did you
    enter the PIN code from the router into the system with the adapter?
    (Router PIN code usually found on the back of the router or in the
    router management s/w.) I don't think my Airlink router has any way to
    do that. It's always looking for a PIN/code from the adapter. I tried
    the router PIN in the third field in the security properties, didn't
    make any difference, still no connection.

    I looked for a PIN code in the properties of my adapter. Nothing obvious
    there either by name or by bit count. Haven't looked on the adapter card
    yet.

    Thanks,

    Dave
    dbird, Oct 9, 2008
  10. dbird

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the bits inside the 942567 hotfix should not be vendor specific,
    although a wrapper around them may be. HP has the 32 bit version
    posted as well.

    Barb Bowman, Oct 9, 2008
  11. dbird

    Barb Bowman Guest

    so, the PIN code can be an 8 (or sometimes 4) digit code on a label
    on the router itself (look for it on a label). some vendors have the
    PIN code only inside their GUI and you have to log in from a wired
    machine to the admin page to find it and sometimes even enable the
    WPS registrar. If you have the QFE installed and the router supports
    the PIN #, you may be able to use WCN over the wireless interface.

    I don't have any Intel a/b/g/n NICs in any of my equipment here so I
    can't tell you that I've tried this with Intel NICs.

    Barb Bowman, Oct 9, 2008
  12. dbird

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 9, 2:38 am, dbird <> wrote:
    > Below:
    >

    > smlunatick wrote:
    > > On Oct 7, 3:05 pm, dbird <> wrote:
    > >> Where/how do I get into Intel PROset within Vista?

    > >> Don't think I'm using WZO since I have suppressed broadcast of the SSID.
    > >> I had/have to do the initial setup/connect manually.

    > >> Thanks for the reply,

    > >> Dave

    > > From Intel or your laptop's manufacturer's web site.  I just set up 2
    > > laptops with the 4965AGN onto two routers with WPS system.  These are
    > > using the WZC and does not have WPS settings inside the Windows.
    > > Then, a third laptop came to the office and it was using the Intel
    > > PROset management software.  In trying to test this laptop, on one of
    > > the WPS enabled routers, the Intel PROset was requesting the WPS
    > > code.  As soon as the code was entered, the complete Wireless WPA2 key
    > > was copied directly into the settings.

    > Found it on the Dell site finally. It's an "optional" download. I
    > installed it, but there doesn't seem to be any difference in response
    > that I can tell. (version 11.something)
    >
    > Re your experience with the WPS enabled router/Proset s/w.  Did you
    > enter the PIN code from the router into the system with the adapter?
    > (Router PIN code usually found on the back of the router or in the
    > router management s/w.) I don't think my Airlink router has any way to
    > do that. It's always looking for a PIN/code from the adapter. I tried
    > the router PIN in the third field in the security properties, didn't
    > make any difference, still no connection.
    >
    > I looked for a PIN code in the properties of my adapter. Nothing obvious
    > there either by name or by bit count. Haven't looked on the adapter card
    > yet.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    I accessed the GUI web pages and got the WPS PIN directly from there.
    I am not sure that the WPS PIN number inside the web web configuration
    "matches" the outside label.
    smlunatick, Oct 9, 2008
  13. dbird

    dbird Guest

    smlunatick wrote:
    > I accessed the GUI web pages and got the WPS PIN directly from there.
    > I am not sure that the WPS PIN number inside the web web configuration
    > "matches" the outside label.

    On my Airlink router it was the same, but the GUI has a button to change
    it.

    I've never tried to set up a straight WPA connection. I'm going to try
    that out today. Maybe I'll learn something ;-) I put in a query to the
    vendor to ask if that's supposed to be functional at the same time as
    WPS. The manual says no, but that's been wrong before, so we'll see.
    dbird, Oct 9, 2008
  14. dbird

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Oct 9, 2008
  15. dbird

    dbird Guest

    Hi Guys:

    Well, I have been in correspondence with Airlink's cust service. I have
    been running some experiments which indicate that something is very
    peculiar.

    The router manual says once a WPS connection is made, all additional
    connections must be WPS also. CS verified that this is true. But, I made
    an experiment where I established a WPS connection with pc1 which has an
    Airlink adapter, then made an open connection with pc2 which has the
    Intel adapter. There is no way for sure to tell if the first connection
    drops it's security because the Airlink s/w does not show security
    status for a non-broadcasted SSID connected with WPS, but it's for sure
    that the second connection is completely open. Now, I've communicated
    the details of all this to Airlink CS. They won't get back to me 'till
    next week, so we'll see what they say.

    In the meantime, I will explore straight forward connections using WPA
    and a security word to see if the same thing happens. Fun, fun, fun. :-(

    Thanks for the help. I'll post the results so the world will know just
    in case anyone's interested.

    Dave
    dbird, Oct 11, 2008
  16. dbird

    Barb Bowman Guest

    first, NOT broadcasting the SSID is really not a good security
    measure.

    second, sounds like Airlink has some bugs in their implementation.

    Barb Bowman, Oct 11, 2008
  17. dbird

    dbird Guest

    Why NOT? This is contrary to everything that everyone else has told me.
    First thing to do is turn off SSID broadcast....

    Please explain.

    Thanks,

    Dave

    dbird, Oct 12, 2008
  18. Turning off SSID mostly discourages the casual browsers and it can cause
    some performance/stability issues with your own connections sometimes.

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote), Oct 12, 2008
  19. dbird

    dbird Guest

    Performance/stability issues? Well, I am certainly seeing that, but only
    with my non-Airlink adapter. The Airlink adapter seems solid, as far as
    it goes. Care to give some examples?

    It would be interesting if anyone has started a list of known
    (in)compatibility issues between different implementations of the
    wireless-N.

    dbird, Oct 12, 2008
  20. dbird

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you are probably talking with the wrong "everyone". back in the
    802.11b days, this was something alot of people did. but now it is
    not considered a good deterrent. anyone that really wants to find
    your SSID WILL find it. and it makes it tougher for some wireless
    clients to find and hold a connection.

    security should be configured with WPA2 with a strong passphrase.

    Barb Bowman, Oct 12, 2008