    BTW my older boombox(11 years old) has no problem playing any of these
    CDs I've burned. WEIRD.

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, Aug 5, 2008

  2. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 5, 6:55 pm, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    > In Windows Media version 11.0 under the Burn options, I can choose one
    > of the above options for a playlist(or TOC) to be applied to CDs I'm
    > burning mp3s to.
    >
    > Problem:  An older stereo(12 years old) of ours is having trouble
    > recognizing mp3 CDs I've burned at home on my Vista system with WMP
    > 11.0, and plays them only after 3 - 5 minutes.  On the other hand, it
    > has NO PROBLEM reading and playing mp3 CDs I burned at work on an XP
    > system with either WMP 9.0 or 10.0.
    >
    > Can you suggest what might be causing this trouble, and will selecting
    > one or the other form of playlist in my subject rectify this problem.
    > BTW my older boombox(11 years old) has no problem playing any of these
    > CDs I've burned.  WEIRD.
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    (EDIT BY CHRISCOASTER)
    I should have pointed this out - The older stereo system has the most
    trouble playing the first 4 - 6 tracks on the discs I burned at home
    on Vista.

    -CC
    ChrisCoaster, Aug 6, 2008

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 5, 7:28 pm, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 6:55 pm, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    >

    > > In Windows Media version 11.0 under the Burn options, I can choose one
    > > of the above options for a playlist(or TOC) to be applied to CDs I'm
    > > burning mp3s to.

    > > Problem:  An older stereo(12 years old) of ours is having trouble
    > > recognizing mp3 CDs I've burned at home on my Vista system with WMP
    > > 11.0, and plays them only after 3 - 5 minutes.  On the other hand, it
    > > has NO PROBLEM reading and playing mp3 CDs I burned at work on an XP
    > > system with either WMP 9.0 or 10.0.

    > > Can you suggest what might be causing this trouble, and will selecting
    > > one or the other form of playlist in my subject rectify this problem.
    > > BTW my older boombox(11 years old) has no problem playing any of these
    > > CDs I've burned.  WEIRD.

    > > -ChrisCoaster

    > (EDIT BY CHRISCOASTER)
    > I should have pointed this out - The older stereo system has the most
    > trouble playing the first 4 - 6 tracks on the discs I burned at home
    > on Vista.
    >
    > -CC- Hide quoted text -

    _______________________
    Nobody?

    I guess that proves it. ChrisCoaster asks the most esoteric, off-the-
    wall, WEIRDest questions on here!

    <sigh>
    ChrisCoaster, Aug 6, 2008
  4. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 7:28 pm, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    >> On Aug 5, 6:55 pm, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> In Windows Media version 11.0 under the Burn options, I can choose one
    >>> of the above options for a playlist(or TOC) to be applied to CDs I'm
    >>> burning mp3s to.
    >>> Problem: An older stereo(12 years old) of ours is having trouble
    >>> recognizing mp3 CDs I've burned at home on my Vista system with WMP
    >>> 11.0, and plays them only after 3 - 5 minutes. On the other hand, it
    >>> has NO PROBLEM reading and playing mp3 CDs I burned at work on an XP
    >>> system with either WMP 9.0 or 10.0.
    >>> Can you suggest what might be causing this trouble, and will selecting
    >>> one or the other form of playlist in my subject rectify this problem.
    >>> BTW my older boombox(11 years old) has no problem playing any of these
    >>> CDs I've burned. WEIRD.
    >>> -ChrisCoaster

    >> (EDIT BY CHRISCOASTER)
    >> I should have pointed this out - The older stereo system has the most
    >> trouble playing the first 4 - 6 tracks on the discs I burned at home
    >> on Vista.
    >>
    >> -CC- Hide quoted text -

    > _______________________
    > Nobody?
    >
    > I guess that proves it. ChrisCoaster asks the most esoteric, off-the-
    > wall, WEIRDest questions on here!
    >
    > <sigh>

    Have you considered the forums such as cdfreaks.com or cdrinfo ?

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/

    What you really need, is a utility that can tell you something
    about the format of the information that was burned. To see
    if there is a difference there, in what Vista is doing.

    Alternately, you could find a utility that can scan the burned
    CD, and see whether there are an excessive number of errors.
    There are "low level" error detection features (PI/PO?), and
    some utilities have the ability to scan the media and report
    the rate that those are in error. Since there is error
    correction also going on, not every error seen in the scan
    results in visible errors when the disc is read. But when you
    get to the "thousands" level, the drive starts to "lose it", and
    one of the burners I've had here, simply stops responding entirely,
    if the scanned results are that bad.

    http://www.k-probe.com/what-is-k-probe
    http://www.k-probe.com/kprobe-k-probe-alternatives.php

    It is even possible, that this is a "Vista specific" question,
    and needs to be asked in a Vista newsgroup.

    microsoft.public.windows.vista.*

    Vista may use a different version of UDF, according to this article.
    But whether that has anything to do with music CDs, I haven't a clue.
    That is why I'd want a utility that can dump format info about
    the discs you've burned, so you can compare "working" and
    "not working" discs.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Aug 7, 2008
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 6, 7:48 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster wrote:

    > >> (EDIT BY CHRISCOASTER)
    > >> I should have pointed this out - The older stereo system has the most
    > >> trouble playing the first 4 - 6 tracks on the discs I burned at home
    > >> on Vista.

    > >> -CC- Hide quoted text -

    > > _______________________
    > > Nobody?

    > > I guess that proves it.  ChrisCoaster asks the most esoteric, off-the-
    > > wall, WEIRDest questions on here!

    > > <sigh>

    > Have you considered the forums such as cdfreaks.com or cdrinfo ?
    >
    > http://club.cdfreaks.com/http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/
    >
    > What you really need, is a utility that can tell you something
    > about the format of the information that was burned. To see
    > if there is a difference there, in what Vista is doing.
    >
    > Alternately, you could find a utility that can scan the burned
    > CD, and see whether there are an excessive number of errors.
    > There are "low level" error detection features (PI/PO?), and
    > some utilities have the ability to scan the media and report
    > the rate that those are in error. Since there is error
    > correction also going on, not every error seen in the scan
    > results in visible errors when the disc is read. But when you
    > get to the "thousands" level, the drive starts to "lose it", and
    > one of the burners I've had here, simply stops responding entirely,
    > if the scanned results are that bad.
    >
    > http://www.k-probe.com/what-is-k-probehttp://www.k-probe.com/kprobe-k-probe-alternatives.php
    >
    > It is even possible, that this is a "Vista specific" question,
    > and needs to be asked in a Vista newsgroup.
    >
    >     microsoft.public.windows.vista.*
    >
    > Vista may use a different version of UDF, according to this article.
    > But whether that has anything to do with music CDs, I haven't a clue.
    > That is why I'd want a utility that can dump format info about
    > the discs you've burned, so you can compare "working" and
    > "not working" discs.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format
    >
    > HTH,
    >       Paul- Hide quoted text -

    _______________________
    Paul:

    I apologize for not clarifying exactly what I'm trying to play on the
    older stereo: these are CD-RWs containing songs in MP3 format.

    -My 2007 Sony "X-Plod" boombox plays them fine, since it IS an mp3
    playing rig. The CD stereo in my 2005 Chevy - not a skip - music
    nirvana!

    -My wife's 1996 Kenwood bookshelf stereo: Initially has trouble
    playing the first 3 - 6 tracks: It will just hang there for about a
    minute before looking for another disc in the next slot in the
    magazine. Has no problem playing 7 & up. In fact, once I get it to
    play track #7, or 10, or whatever, it plays track 1, 2, 3, so on,
    fine. It's like I have to train it, Paul! :)

    My theory: Since I'm putting 20-25 songs on the discs(over 70min of
    material), the read-arm of the stereo is not able to "reach" the first
    few tracks for some reason.

    -My 1997 JVC dual-cassette/CD boombox has no problem playing the CD-
    RWs I burned at my old job last year(brand=Imation) and the CD-RWs
    I've more recently burned at home(Memorex).

    BUT - the JVC boombox is *starting* to have trouble reading some of
    the Imations I recorded last year at work(read, 1 year old). The CD-
    RWs are probably deteriorating and someone on another N.G. recommended
    switching to CD-Rs in the future(something about better pit contrast).

    That is my situation, any further suggestions - minus running a CD/DVD
    lens cleaner, BTDT, - are appreciated.

    -CC
    ChrisCoaster, Aug 7, 2008
  6. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 6, 7:48 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster wrote:

    > >> (EDIT BY CHRISCOASTER)
    > >> I should have pointed this out - The older stereo system has the most
    > >> trouble playing the first 4 - 6 tracks on the discs I burned at home
    > >> on Vista.

    > >> -CC- Hide quoted text -

    > > _______________________
    > > Nobody?

    > > I guess that proves it.  ChrisCoaster asks the most esoteric, off-the-
    > > wall, WEIRDest questions on here!

    > > <sigh>

    > Have you considered the forums such as cdfreaks.com or cdrinfo ?
    >
    > http://club.cdfreaks.com/http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/
    >
    > What you really need, is a utility that can tell you something
    > about the format of the information that was burned. To see
    > if there is a difference there, in what Vista is doing.
    >
    > Alternately, you could find a utility that can scan the burned
    > CD, and see whether there are an excessive number of errors.
    > There are "low level" error detection features (PI/PO?), and
    > some utilities have the ability to scan the media and report
    > the rate that those are in error. Since there is error
    > correction also going on, not every error seen in the scan
    > results in visible errors when the disc is read. But when you
    > get to the "thousands" level, the drive starts to "lose it", and
    > one of the burners I've had here, simply stops responding entirely,
    > if the scanned results are that bad.
    >
    > http://www.k-probe.com/what-is-k-probehttp://www.k-probe.com/kprobe-k-probe-alternatives.php
    >
    > It is even possible, that this is a "Vista specific" question,
    > and needs to be asked in a Vista newsgroup.
    >
    >     microsoft.public.windows.vista.*
    >
    > Vista may use a different version of UDF, according to this article.
    > But whether that has anything to do with music CDs, I haven't a clue.
    > That is why I'd want a utility that can dump format info about
    > the discs you've burned, so you can compare "working" and
    > "not working" discs.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format
    >
    > HTH,
    >       Paul- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________________
    ___________________________
    UPDATE:

    Bought some Memorex CD-Rs and the situation is WORSE!! The 12year
    old
    Kenwood bookshelf and the 11year old boombox will not play them at
    ALL!
    The Kenwood still plays the CD-RWs I made over a year ago at my old
    job and the boombox is starting to have issues with some of
    those(deterioration). But this new CD-R thing is a DISASTER.

    I appreciate all the help I've received here, but I'm
    THROUGH with burning the CDs and will use an MP3 player wherever I
    need music. Nothing can touch a CD bought in a STORE, and that's it.

    Y'know Paul, it's so funny: Here I was last year, recording music to
    Cassette when burning to CD had been the fashion since 2000. Now I'm
    burning CDs when simply loading all your stuff on a MP3 player has
    been the vogue since 2005! Am I the most backward, behind-the-tech-
    times cat on here? And I'll probably be buying my first HDTV when HD
    is no longer hi-def!!!

    :D

    -CC
    ChrisCoaster, Aug 18, 2008
  7. ChrisCoaster

    Guest

    On 18 Aug, 22:49, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
> [...]

    > old
    > Kenwood bookshelf and the 11year old boombox will not play them at
    > ALL!
    > The Kenwood still plays the CD-RWs I made over a year ago at my old
    > job and the boombox is starting to have issues with some of
    > those(deterioration).  But this new CD-R thing is a DISASTER.
    >
    > I appreciate all the help I've received here, but I'm
    > THROUGH with burning the CDs and will use an MP3 player wherever I
    > need music.  Nothing can touch a CD bought in a STORE, and that's it.
    >
    > Y'know Paul, it's so funny:  Here I was last year, recording music to
    > Cassette when burning to CD had been the fashion since 2000.  Now I'm
    > burning CDs when simply loading all your stuff on a MP3 player has
    > been the vogue since 2005!  Am I the most backward, behind-the-tech-
    > times cat on here?  And I'll probably be buying my first HDTV when HD

    Try burning them with programs that everybody else uses, like Nero, or
    a free alternative like CD Burner XP.

    You aren't burning them as mp3 surely, you are talking about old
    players, and burning them as an Audio CD. You mention about getting
    an mp3 player in the future but you don't seem to have one yet..

    All these storage things since floppies, you had the IOMEGA "ZIP"
    drives , and LS120 superdisk. Nice and easy to write to, but they
    didn't seem to take off. At that time USB keys were small or not
    invented yet, not used anyway. And CDs were what people were switching
    to. .
    CDs have issues. My CD player only accepts CD-R, not CD-RW, a friend
    had the same experience there. I have one CD drive that doesn' t
    accept 800MB CDs(took a while to diagnose that one). Then you have
    burning software that needs to be updated to recognise the drive.
    Firmware to look for to install for the drive to deal with some
    problems .

    Apparently there's the issue of CDs that deteriorate quickly because
    they are made by a bad -factory- and name brands can use bad factories
    (and there's a piece of software that tells you what factory a CD was
    made in - but you find out after you brought the CDs! You need a name
    brand that "currently" doesn't use a bad factory)..

    Making them bootable, writing to them , is not as straight-forward as
    a floppy disk drive. Infact the nice thing about floppy drives was
    even in DOS they were just recognised, no driver needed.

    You don't want to "write to"(I mean, record onto) tapes frequently
    though! Tapes take forever to record on.

    I think your issue is a bit like an issue I once had with a disgusting
    computer that would hardly accept any monitors. The video card must
    have been very "strict". But there was one it accepted, I noticed
    that my other monitors, though they worked in other machines, had many
    pins missing from their VGA connector.

    A similar situation was 2 bunches of Ps2-USB adaptors(originally 1
    bunch but I bought another. I bought bunches incase one didn't work!).
    one manufacturer for one bunch, a different one for the other.
    And 2 computers.
    Both bunches of them worked in one computer But one of the bunches
    only worked in one computer.
    I theorized that one computer (USB ports) was "strict" and one bunch
    of ps2-usb adaptors was "lenient". Or, one computer was strict and
    the other lenient. Lenient is better. Assuming it was ps2-usb
    adaptors, the "lenient" ps2-usb adaptors were better. I don't know
    what was going on electronically.. but as a techie you'll find some
    devices don't give you any trouble, and it's sometimes worth having a
    few of them!

    So here's what I suggest you do..

    Keep your CDs, funny ones in particular. They make great tests for CD
    players.

    Go to a store with your CDs and see how they do in playing them.
    Find a CD player that plays them, and get that one. If it's very
    rare, and might break or get lost, then maybe buy a few of them!
    Effectively a CD player that is "lenient". Note the model, and make a
    post/review of it so people know! It may be worth mentioning ones
    that don't play it too.
    , Aug 19, 2008