    else had this problem or know how to fix it?

    Thanks....
    --

    =?Utf-8?B?c2VhIGZldmVy?=, Jan 3, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c2VhIGZldmVy?=

    Tony Guest

    "sea fever" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I continually get an error message: External Exception E06D7363, Linksys
    >says
    > that it is caused be a Word dot.file. Word is never opened when this error
    > occurs, which is constantly, and state it is a MIcrosoft problem. Has
    > anyone
    > else had this problem or know how to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks....
    > --

    Have you tried either deleting the driver and reinstalling it or check the
    Linksys website for an updated driver? I had this error on an IBM Thinkpad
    and just deleting and reinstalling the adapter cured it.

    Tony, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Let me explain.

    External Exceptions occur when something catastrophically bad has happened.
    We
    don't ever want to see them. The External Exception 'E06D7363' occurs when
    something is wrong with Word. Typically, it is due to corruption of the
    'normal.dot' file. This file is used to store certain Word settings, such as
    toolbar, macros, and autotext entries. But for reasons unknown to me, it can
    become easily corrupted, especially when Word and Word documents are closed
    incorrectly. The solution to this problem, and the solution to this External
    Exception, is to simply delete the 'normal.dot' file. But you can see where
    this
    is leading. If you do so, you will lose everything that you have saved in
    your
    'normal.dot' file.

    So what's a person to do?

    Equally simple: Just periodically back up your 'normal.dot' file. The good
    news
    is that the Word add-in version of Abacus (version 3.0) creates backup
    copies of
    'normal.dot' automatically. (Please see the Abacus 'Readme' file for more
    details about this.) But with Abacus SE, you must back up this file
    yourself.
    Here are the steps to do so:

    1. Start Word and on the menu, click on "Tools->Options->File Locations".
    2. On the "File Locations" page, examine the entry "User Templates". To the
    right of it you will see a directory path. This path tells you where the
    'normal.dot' file is stored. A typical path may look something like this:
    c:\program files\microsoft office\office\templates
    Write down the path that you see for your version of Word.
    3. Close Word and start either My Computer or Windows Explorer.
    4. Click your way to the directory that you wrote down. Ultimately, this
    will
    get you to the directory (folder) where 'normal.dot' is located.
    5. When you get to 'normal.dot', copy it. You can do so by clicking on it
    and
    pressing "Ctrl-C" or by clicking on "Edit->Copy" from the menu.
    6. Now create or navigate to the directory where you want to keep this
    backup
    copy. You could save it, for example, in a directory named something like
    this:
    c:\program files\microsoft office\backup
    If such a folder doesn't exist, just create it.
    7. Once you have navigated to your backup directory, press the keys "Ctrl-V"
    or
    on the menu click on "Edit->Paste" to paste the 'normal.dot' file into this
    directory.

    Now if you ever need to use this backup copy of 'normal.dot', just follow
    the
    above steps in reverse. Copy your backup 'normal.dot' to the directory that
    Word
    uses to store the current 'normal.dot' file, overwriting it in the process.
    (Alternatively, you could just delete or rename the current version of
    'normal.dot'. I usually recommend renaming it to 'normal.001' -- just in
    case.)
    Your backup copy of 'normal.dot' should have your Word settings, such as
    macros,
    autotext entries, etc.

    You can save yourself a lot of future headaches by spending 5 minutes once a
    month making a backup copy of your 'normal.dot' file!

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 13, 2005