WPA2 security ?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lorenzo Sandini, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I just changed my old trusty D-Link DGL-4300 router for a DIR-655, that
    uses the 802.11n draft technology. Almost all my computers are wired,
    but I need that wireless link for a couple of them. I fitted those
    machines with D-Link 802.11n NICS (one PCI and one Cardbus), so WPA2
    will be used.

    Unfortunately, I have to keep a DWL-650G (108Mbps) in one machine,
    forcing me to use WPA too. The router negotiates WPA2 with machines that
    can, and falls back to WPA for the machine that cannot do WPA2.

    MAC address filtering is enabled, SSID hidden and changed on an
    irregular basis. Call me paranoid, but what is the possibility that
    someone intercepts packets in the air and cracks my key ? Finds a MAC
    address for one connected machine and uses it on his laptop to associate
    with the router ?

    Not that I have something to hide, or that any of my computers contains
    anything precious, but I know too much about WLAN insecurity to feel safe.

    Thanks

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Apr 27, 2007

  2. Lorenzo Sandini

    Barb Bowman Guest

    a "dictionary" attack is the onlly real method for breaking WPA. Use
    an extremely long random key (you probably have support for Windows
    Connect Now so you can use the Network Wizard to generate one for
    you).

    I've got the same setup here with the same hardware (more or less).

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 27, 2007

  3. "Lorenzo Sandini" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just changed my old trusty D-Link DGL-4300 router for a DIR-655, that
    > uses the 802.11n draft technology. Almost all my computers are wired, but
    > I need that wireless link for a couple of them. I fitted those machines
    > with D-Link 802.11n NICS (one PCI and one Cardbus), so WPA2 will be used.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I have to keep a DWL-650G (108Mbps) in one machine, forcing
    > me to use WPA too. The router negotiates WPA2 with machines that can, and
    > falls back to WPA for the machine that cannot do WPA2.
    >
    > MAC address filtering is enabled, SSID hidden and changed on an irregular
    > basis. Call me paranoid, but what is the possibility that someone
    > intercepts packets in the air and cracks my key ? Finds a MAC address for
    > one connected machine and uses it on his laptop to associate with the
    > router ?
    >
    > Not that I have something to hide, or that any of my computers contains
    > anything precious, but I know too much about WLAN insecurity to feel safe.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lorenzo

    To add to Barb's comments both MAC Address authentication and cloaking your
    SSID broadcast are not considered viable security measures. Cloaking the
    SSID broadcast can also lead to connectivity issues for some clients. Both
    are easily discovered. You may be interested in this article...

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=454

    The key to real security is using strong encryption and a long random key.
    Personally I use a 63-character random ASCII key. Here are two key
    generators that you might be interested in.

    http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/
    https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

    My WiFi security recommendations...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html
    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 27, 2007
  4. Hi
    Whenever one uses his car no matter how carefull he is there is always the
    probability to be involved in a car accident, however, it is Not a reason to
    always stay home.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 27, 2007
  5. I noticed that WPA2 must be enabled in order to get the maximum
    throughput. When I chose WPA-TKIP, max speed is 54Mbps, while with
    WPA2-AES I get 300Mbps. Is it by design ?

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Apr 28, 2007
  6. Lorenzo Sandini

    Barb Bowman Guest

    must be something in the driver and/or router firmware. I don't
    think that the draft N spec mandates WPA2 to trigger anything. I've
    been running with WPA2 since I received the DIR655 so I haven't
    experienced this. What firmware is in the router?

    Barb Bowman, Apr 28, 2007
  7. 1.02, and connection "speed" is set to "Automatic best".

    Could you check with yours please, if it's not too much asking?

    Thanks

    Lorenzo

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Lorenzo Sandini, Apr 28, 2007
  8. Lorenzo Sandini

    Barb Bowman Guest

    which NIC do you see this on? I use only N clients on the 655 and
    have an AP for G only clients.

    Barb Bowman, Apr 29, 2007
  9. It's the DWA-645, http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=489. Nothing
    specific in the user's guide I am afraid.

    Apparently in Finland we don't have the DWA-652. I don't know exactly
    what is the difference though. A hint maybe ?

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Apr 29, 2007
  10. Lorenzo Sandini

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the 645 is older. could be a firmware thing. i have a 652 and the
    expresscard one. i don't know if the firmware for the router is
    different in Europe either.

    Barb Bowman, Apr 29, 2007
  11. I'll ask D-link Finland and report back, in case this would serve
    someone else too. I hope the DWA-652 will be available here too soon.

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Apr 29, 2007
  12. D-link's answer was useless I am afraid. It was in finnish, but in a
    nutshell, it was like this:

    "Your setup should work, load the latest firmware for the router and use
    the latest drivers for the NICs."

    Should work... what is that supposed to mean ?

    Oh well...

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, May 2, 2007
  13. Lorenzo Sandini

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I run WPA2 on everything here and have good speed and distance.
    Numbers aside, different operating systems can report "speed"
    differently. Depending on hardware/drivers etc.

    Barb Bowman, May 2, 2007
  14. I removed the latest driver for the DWA-645 card, and re-installed from
    the CD, along with the D-link wireless utility.

    I disabled the windows wireless zero configuration, and configured the
    encryption to WPA2-PSK (AES), with now a perfectly working setup and no
    more warning bubbles. And 300Mbps is availbale even with WPA-PSK (TKIP)
    now, while it sed to fall back to 54 Mbps with the "latest driver" from
    D-link Finland.

    Thanks to all for your input.

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, May 3, 2007