    Am I receiving WPA2 security on my laptop and, if so, why doesn't it register
    instead of WEP? I'm running XP Professional with SP2. Thanks for your
    help.
    =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZG1lcnR6?=, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Hi
    WPA AES is WPA2.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "fredmertz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a Linksys router with desktop that show WPA2-PSK configuration and

    > have everything checked for that mode. My laptop shows TKIP, WEP, AES
    > under data security and the connection is authenticated. I've downloaded

    what

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 15, 2005

  3. the type of AES that WPA2 requires must use Counter-Mode/CBC-Mac
    Protocol (CCMP)

    just because your gear is AES capable does not mean it is WPA2. see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecurity.mspx

    if your hardware is WPA2 compliant, you will see this info displayed.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Nov 15, 2005
  4. the type of AES that WPA2 requires must use Counter-Mode/CBC-Mac
    Protocol (CCMP)

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Nov 15, 2005
  5. Hi
    On a Linksys Router WPA AES is WPA2.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 15, 2005
  6. Can you point me to something on the Linksys site that documents this?
    They've had routers out that supported AES from before WPA2 was
    officially blessed. Looking for a doc that details the CCMP
    qualification for all of their AES capable routers. AES was optional
    for the original WPA while TKIP was required. I've seen Linksys
    routers that support AES but they were not WPA2. Some of the Linksys
    routers explicitly have choices for WPA vs WPA2

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:00:37 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >On a Linksys Router WPA AES is WPA2.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    >"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <> wrote in message
    >> the type of AES that WPA2 requires must use Counter-Mode/CBC-Mac
    >> Protocol (CCMP)
    >>
    >> just because your gear is AES capable does not mean it is WPA2. see
    >>

    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecu
    >rity.mspx
    >>
    >> if your hardware is WPA2 compliant, you will see this info displayed.
    >>
    >> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:54:01 -0800, fredmertz
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a Linksys router with desktop that show WPA2-PSK configuration and

    >> >have everything checked for that mode. My laptop shows TKIP, WEP, AES
    >> >under data security and the connection is authenticated. I've downloaded

    >what
    >> >I think are the latest drivers and firmware for both computers.

    >Questions:
    >> >Am I receiving WPA2 security on my laptop and, if so, why doesn't it

    >register
    >> >instead of WEP? I'm running XP Professional with SP2. Thanks for your
    >> >help.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Nov 16, 2005
  7. "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <> wrote in message
    > Can you point me to something on the Linksys site that documents this?
    > They've had routers out that supported AES from before WPA2 was
    > officially blessed. Looking for a doc that details the CCMP
    > qualification for all of their AES capable routers. AES was optional
    > for the original WPA while TKIP was required. I've seen Linksys
    > routers that support AES but they were not WPA2. Some of the Linksys
    > routers explicitly have choices for WPA vs WPA2
    >
    > On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:00:37 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>On a Linksys Router WPA AES is WPA2.
    >>Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack,

    You are technically wrong... WPA plus AES does not equal WPA2, it is just
    WPA with AES encryption instead of TKIP encryption.... which as Barb
    mentioned is not part of the WPA interop testing.

    There are changes in the messaging between the AP and the station between
    WPA and WPA2.... thus you need client software, client firmware and AP
    firmware all changed to support the new message formats in WPA2.

    Phil Doragh
    Philip Doragh, Nov 16, 2005
  8. Jack,
    On a WRT54G fresh off the shelf from a local Best Buy store, there are
    most definitely separate settings in the security drop down for WPA
    and WPA2.

    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >On a Linksys Router WPA AES is WPA2.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    >"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <> wrote in message
    >> the type of AES that WPA2 requires must use Counter-Mode/CBC-Mac
    >> Protocol (CCMP)
    >>
    >> just because your gear is AES capable does not mean it is WPA2. see
    >>

    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecu
    >rity.mspx
    >>
    >> if your hardware is WPA2 compliant, you will see this info displayed.
    >>
    >> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:54:01 -0800, fredmertz
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a Linksys router with desktop that show WPA2-PSK configuration and

    >> >have everything checked for that mode. My laptop shows TKIP, WEP, AES
    >> >under data security and the connection is authenticated. I've downloaded

    >what
    >> >I think are the latest drivers and firmware for both computers.

    >Questions:
    >> >Am I receiving WPA2 security on my laptop and, if so, why doesn't it

    >register
    >> >instead of WEP? I'm running XP Professional with SP2. Thanks for your
    >> >help.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Nov 16, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZG1lcnR6?=

    johnny Guest

    My Linksys router has options for WPA/AES & WPA2/AES. I'm not sure if they
    are suppose to be equivalant but I can't connect with WPA2/AES but I can
    connect with WPA/AES.

    johnny, Nov 20, 2005