WPA2 and DHCP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Danyz82, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. Danyz82

    Danyz82 Guest

    Hi all,

    I`m experiencing a strange issue: I`m using a Linksys WAP4400N access
    running the last firmware released, WPA2-enterprie through RADIUS
    authentication, AES encryption. All the clients are Windows XP SP3, all
    microsoft updates installed, the main server (the same for Active Directory,
    RADIUS and DHCP) is running Windows 2003 SP2.

    I`m working in a MPLS environment, the main server lies in the
    headquartiers, only the DHCP server is local for every office.

    The issue is that the wireless clients are authenticated properly all the
    time but they are not able to get any IP address by the DHCP server, unless ,
    this sounds weird, they are connected to the network through a cable as well.

    Using wireshark I see that:

    - the RADIUS authentication is done properly (usually thru CA certificates
    but even without)
    - the DHCP server works properly it release a DHCP offer packet as a DHCP
    discovery packet is received
    - the DCHP keeps sending DHCP discovery packets, it`s like the DHCP offers
    are ignored or not received.

    My laptop works fine in the headquartier, it got connected 7 times on 10 in
    an another office (50 km from the headquartiers) and it got connetcted all
    the time using Ubuntu. In another office, 230 km far from the headquartiers,
    I was not able to get connected at all (I didn`t try ubuntu actually, I` ll
    try tomorrow) unless using the ethernet cable as well. It sounds like a
    time-out issue or so in between the RADIUS authentication and the DHCP
    process, but I don`t think so, the DHCP servers work fine all the time.

    Thank you in advance,

    Best regards,

    Daniele

    --