    OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not yet :). (WINXP
    Pro SP2 on both machines).

    I will appreciate your advice.

    Edward W. Thompson, Apr 12, 2008

  2. 1. If your computer is currently connected to the Internet and the LAN
    without any connection problem, you may want to disable the message "Limited
    or No Connectivity". Or check this search result.

    Troubleshooting limited or no connectivity"This connection has limited or no
    connectivity. " "You might not be able to access the Internet or some
    network resources" ...
    www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/noconnectivity.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Apr 12, 2008

  3. Hi
    It is probably the Icon of the Wire LAN card that almost every laptop has
    too.
    Look at the device manager if you there a wire LAN entry and you do do use
    write click on it and disable it.
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/dm_ok.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 12, 2008
  4. Edward W. Thompson

    Pavel A. Guest

    > I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
    > (desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
    > ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
    > with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router
    > and to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen
    > with a yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited
    > or no connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I
    > have said, the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all
    > appears to be OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not
    > yet :). (WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).

    The 'limited or no connectivity' means usally that your adapter is set to
    use dhcp,
    but fails to obtain the IP address - though connection to the AP is
    successful.
    ( "Limited" here is because other non-IP protocols may still work over this
    connection )
    This can mean encryption problems, as dhcp messages are
    subject to the encryption.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 13, 2008
  5. "Pavel A." <> wrote in message

    > "Edward W. Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
    >> (desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
    >> ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to
    >> WPA with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the
    >> router and to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon
    >> (screen with a yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states
    >> 'limited or no connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what?
    >> As I have said, the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so
    >> all appears to be OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at
    >> least not yet :). (WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).
    >>

    > The 'limited or no connectivity' means usally that your adapter is set to
    > use dhcp,
    > but fails to obtain the IP address - though connection to the AP is
    > successful.
    > ( "Limited" here is because other non-IP protocols may still work over
    > this connection )
    > This can mean encryption problems, as dhcp messages are
    > subject to the encryption.
    >
    > --PA

    Thanks to all for your advice.

    Edward W. Thompson, Apr 13, 2008
  6. "Edward W. Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
    >(desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
    >ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
    >with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router and
    >to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen with a
    >yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited or no
    >connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I have said,
    >the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all appears to be
    >OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not yet :).
    >(WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).
    >
    > I will appreciate your advice.

    Thanks for the advice. As a follow up I have been reading (Google) of some
    having problems when changing from WEP to WPA when connecting to printers
    that are hard wired to their routers I thought the WEP and WPA encryption
    only applied to those devices that connect through a wireless link and not
    to those devices that are hard wired. Is my understanding correct?

    Edward W. Thompson, Apr 13, 2008
  7. Edward W. Thompson

    Pavel A. Guest

    > "Edward W. Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >>I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
    >>(desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
    >>ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
    >>with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router
    >>and to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen
    >>with a yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited
    >>or no connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I
    >>have said, the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all
    >>appears to be OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not
    >>yet :). (WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).
    >>
    >> I will appreciate your advice.

    > Thanks for the advice. As a follow up I have been reading (Google) of some
    > having problems when changing from WEP to WPA when connecting to printers
    > that are hard wired to their routers I thought the WEP and WPA
    > encryption only applied to those devices that connect through a wireless
    > link and not to those devices that are hard wired. Is my understanding
    > correct?

    Yes it is correct. However I don't know about that issue with printers.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 13, 2008