    USR is right.

    Is it a 'feature' of WPA that one must use a XP admin account? Is there any
    way around this? Does WPA2 'correct' this short coming?

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFA=?=, Dec 6, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFA=?=

    Ryan Younger Guest

    Have you tried logging on with a 'Power User' account? This account has
    same permissions as an Administrator, except that a Power User cannot do the
    following:

    - Access other users' data without permission
    - Delete or modify user accounts they did not create

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Dec 8, 2005

  3. I seem to have the exact same problem. Upon bootup, Wife's laptop
    automatically opens to her User Account. It was a limted account but I
    changed it to an Admin account hoping that wireless connectivity problem
    would be cured. It was not.

    The one way we can restore connectivity is to close her User Account, open
    my Admin Account, establish connectivity by repairing or waiting, close mine,
    open hers using the Repair command and then we are good to go...weird.

    Anyone have a suggestion?

    Regards,

    glr

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2xy?=, Jan 2, 2006
  4. All:

    In this particular case with USR and after many telephone conversations with
    them, they finally told me that, YES, I would have to be operating in an
    administrators account for theyir product set to work as advertised. Since
    that time I have removed their wireless utility from my notebook and use the
    standard Windows wireless utuility and WPA works fine. However, the high
    speed USR data transfer of 125 mbs does not work; but it does work at 54 mbs
    802(b) just fine.

    I had a similar problem with a client of mine trying to get some 'features'
    working with Quickbooks 2005 - after many hours of telephone time they also
    said administrative rights were required.

    Apparently there are at least a few companies out there that haven't a clue
    about basic security operations.

    Oh well...work with the more responsible companies and keep your eyes open.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFA=?=, Jan 2, 2006
  5. I am using Belkin and found their tech support to be infuriating. As an
    example, they always confirm the phone number they have with me. On the most
    recent attempt to resolve my connectivity issues we were disconnected...no
    pun intended. Do you think they bothered to call back?

    Tinkering with different options last night I seem to have resolved my
    problem. I toggled on "Allow other network users to connect through this
    computer's internet connection" within the Wireless Network Connection
    Properties for my wireless network card.

    While this change has resolved my problem as my wife's limited accounts now
    auto-connects, I am hopeful that I have not created a network security
    problem.

    Regards,

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2xy?=, Jan 2, 2006