    WPA (which works with these WLAN-cards when they are on a WLAN-router based
    network as clients) no connection is possible.

    Viktor
    viktor weisshaeupl, Apr 9, 2006

  2. "viktor weisshaeupl" <> wrote in message
    > Did I get it correctly that WPA-PSK TKIP encryption cannot be implemented
    > in an Ad-Hoc WLAN? Open network works, WEP-encryption works, as soon as I
    > try to use WPA (which works with these WLAN-cards when they are on a
    > WLAN-router based network as clients) no connection is possible.
    >
    > Viktor

    Yes, the WiFi Alliance in its WPA and WPA2 certifications only supports TKIP
    encryption on infrastructure networks and not Ad-Hoc networks. Better
    encryption is coming through the IEEE's work in 802.11 based mesh networking
    (.11 working group "S"). Ad-hoc is currently only supported in an
    interoperable way for 802.11b and the set of MAC features that were defined
    at the time of its definition.

    Phil
    Philip Doragh, Apr 9, 2006

  3. Neither WPA-PSK nor WPA2-PSK, regardless of the encryption algorithm being
    TKIP or AES, is supported in XP in ad hoc mode.

    In Vista, WPA2-PSK with AES is supported in ad hoc mode. WPA2-PSK with TKIP
    and WPA-PSK with either TKIP or AES are not supported.

    Zhong Deng \(MSFT\), Apr 13, 2006