    question!! I wanted to know how the authentication takes
    place in WPA-PSK, I know it goes through 4 way handshake
    but i dont know the exact steps , can some one help me?

    neelaka, Jan 23, 2005

  2. neelaka

    Niklas Guest

    This is described in the 802.11i Spec.

    In the first message you will get a random value from the AP
    In the second you send a random value to the AP
    The whole packet is hashed with the pre shared key and the two random
    values(part of it)
    If the AP can create the same hash it will send you message three
    If you can create the same hash you will know that the AP knows the password
    too.
    You will know set a temporal network key on the adapter
    and send message four telling the AP that everything is ok.
    you receive first group message that has the key material encrypted, you
    decrypt it and set it on the network adapter and send group message two
    saying that everyhing is ok.
    Now the authentication is done.

    When using a radius server, the client will create a new password for each
    session that is send to the client encrypted with public/private key.
    thst key is then used the same way as the pre shared key (simplified)

    regards
    Niklas

    Niklas, Jan 27, 2005