    have tried everything, but it just won't keep the correct key so therefore,
    it will not connect.
    PS....it connected fine before I put the WPA security on.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFubmFmaXNo?=, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Wanted to add that the computer is a HP Pavilion zv6203cl. It has Service
    Pack 2 and according to HP it supports WPA-PSK (AES). I think it must be a
    Windows issue.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFubmFmaXNo?=, Feb 13, 2006

  3. Have you asked HP ?? They were very prompt in replying to questions about my
    HP laptop.

    MD

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=, Feb 13, 2006
  4. Yes, I did twice and do you know what the techie asked? If I had tried using
    the Wireless Assistant! Can you believe that? The Wireless Assistant is
    only for turning on and off the wireless and deactivating the notice bubbles
    and whether or not you wanted the Assistant in the tray. It has NOTHING to
    do with configuration. I couldn't believe it!

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFubmFmaXNo?=, Feb 13, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SGFubmFmaXNo?=

    Lem Guest

    Hannafish wrote:

    > Yes, I did twice and do you know what the techie asked? If I had tried using
    > the Wireless Assistant! Can you believe that? The Wireless Assistant is
    > only for turning on and off the wireless and deactivating the notice bubbles
    > and whether or not you wanted the Assistant in the tray. It has NOTHING to
    > do with configuration. I couldn't believe it!
    >
    > "Hannafish" wrote:
    >
    > > Wanted to add that the computer is a HP Pavilion zv6203cl. It has Service
    > > Pack 2 and according to HP it supports WPA-PSK (AES). I think it must be a
    > > Windows issue.
    > >
    > > "Hannafish" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone know how I can set my network key so that it does not revert back
    > > > to what MS has preset? I have configured my 2 Toshiba laptops with their
    > > > ConfigFree program. At first I had the same problem with them when I tried
    > > > to use MS Wireless Network Connection "Wireless Networks" tab. But it
    > > > doesn't appear like the HP laptop has a similiar program llike ConfigFree so
    > > > I am trying to do it with MS, but everytime I insert the correct Network key
    > > > for my SSID, it reverts back to some preset key that was there before. I
    > > > have tried everything, but it just won't keep the correct key so therefore,
    > > > it will not connect.
    > > > PS....it connected fine before I put the WPA security on.

    From what I can understand from the hp website, hp has 2 "assistants." The Wireless
    Assistant is, as you describe, apparently only useful for turning the wireless radio
    on and off and a few other mostly cosmetic things. There is, however, apparently a
    second application, which hp calls the "Network Assistant." See
    http://tinyurl.com/7hp42 The hp Network Assistant apparently includes a mechanism
    for configuring the security parameters of your wireless network, so that's probably
    what the hp tech support person was referring to.

    As far as I know, there is no such thing as a Microsoft preset value for any wireless
    encryption key. Thus, the situtation you describe almost certainly is the result of
    a conflict between XP's built-in wireless configuration utility and an hp wireless
    will find an entry that begins with "bcm".

    According to hp, home and small office, although home office (SOHO) users typically
    only need the driver for the wireless adapter, there a more advanced "Broadcom
    Wireless Utility " http://tinyurl.com/8845u Perhaps you -- or the vendor from whom
    you purchased your laptop -- installed this utility.

    The notes for that utility say that it takes over wireless management:

    "Once installed, the Broadcom Wireless Utility takes control of Broadcom
    wireless devices and the user must use the Broadcom Wireless Utility to
    configure and manage Broadcom wireless devices. If the Microsoft Windows XP
    Windows Zero Configuration service is required to configure and control Broadcom
    wireless devices (which is the default), do not install this software. If the
    Microsoft Windows XP Windows Zero Configuration service is required to control
    Broadcom wireless devices after the Broadcom Wireless Utility has been
    installed, uninstall the Broadcom Wireless Utility software and restart the
    notebook."

    Lem, Feb 13, 2006
  6. The info you gave me was very helpful!!!!...BUT wouldn't you know. The HP
    Network Assistant doesn't support my router. It supports NETGEAR WGT624 and
    WGT624 - version 2....I have WGT624 - version 3.

    Any ideas as to how I can get connected? The notebook connected fine with
    the router before I put security on. Please don't suggest I use it without
    security. ;-)

    I will welcome any suggestions you maybe have.
    Thanks,
    Hannafish....Peacock Bass

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFubmFmaXNo?=, Feb 16, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SGFubmFmaXNo?=

    Lem Guest

    Go to the bottom

    Hannafish wrote:

    > The info you gave me was very helpful!!!!...BUT wouldn't you know. The HP
    > Network Assistant doesn't support my router. It supports NETGEAR WGT624 and
    > WGT624 - version 2....I have WGT624 - version 3.
    >
    > Any ideas as to how I can get connected? The notebook connected fine with
    > the router before I put security on. Please don't suggest I use it without
    > security. ;-)
    >
    > I will welcome any suggestions you maybe have.
    > Thanks,
    > Hannafish....Peacock Bass
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    > > Hannafish wrote:
    > >
    > > > Yes, I did twice and do you know what the techie asked? If I had tried using
    > > > the Wireless Assistant! Can you believe that? The Wireless Assistant is
    > > > only for turning on and off the wireless and deactivating the notice bubbles
    > > > and whether or not you wanted the Assistant in the tray. It has NOTHING to
    > > > do with configuration. I couldn't believe it!

    > > From what I can understand from the hp website, hp has 2 "assistants." The Wireless
    > > Assistant is, as you describe, apparently only useful for turning the wireless radio
    > > on and off and a few other mostly cosmetic things. There is, however, apparently a
    > > second application, which hp calls the "Network Assistant." See
    > > http://tinyurl.com/7hp42 The hp Network Assistant apparently includes a mechanism
    > > for configuring the security parameters of your wireless network, so that's probably
    > > what the hp tech support person was referring to.
    > >
    > > As far as I know, there is no such thing as a Microsoft preset value for any wireless
    > > encryption key. Thus, the situtation you describe almost certainly is the result of
    > > a conflict between XP's built-in wireless configuration utility and an hp wireless
    > > will find an entry that begins with "bcm".
    > >
    > > According to hp, home and small office, although home office (SOHO) users typically
    > > only need the driver for the wireless adapter, there a more advanced "Broadcom
    > > Wireless Utility " http://tinyurl.com/8845u Perhaps you -- or the vendor from whom
    > > you purchased your laptop -- installed this utility.
    > >
    > > The notes for that utility say that it takes over wireless management:
    > >
    > > "Once installed, the Broadcom Wireless Utility takes control of Broadcom
    > > wireless devices and the user must use the Broadcom Wireless Utility to
    > > configure and manage Broadcom wireless devices. If the Microsoft Windows XP
    > > Windows Zero Configuration service is required to configure and control Broadcom
    > > wireless devices (which is the default), do not install this software. If the
    > > Microsoft Windows XP Windows Zero Configuration service is required to control
    > > Broadcom wireless devices after the Broadcom Wireless Utility has been
    > > installed, uninstall the Broadcom Wireless Utility software and restart the
    > > notebook."

    From what I understand of your original posts, you are able to set WPA correctly but it
    doesn't stick.

    Forget about the HP Network Assistant. Re-read the last part of my previous post, and
    uninstall the Broadcom Wireless Utility from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and then
    re-boot. Then set WPA using the Windows XP wireless configuration tool and it should stay.

    If there is no entry in Add/Remove Programs for "Broadcom Wireless Utility" start Task
    Manager by pressing <CTRL><ALT><DEL> and see if there is anything running with a name that
    includes Broadcom or begins with the letters bcm. Look in both "applications" and
    "processes." Post back with any information you discover. Similarly, run msconfig (Start
    > Run > type msconfig and press enter). Check the entries on the "Startup" tab for any

    items that begin with the letters bcm. If you find any, make a note of the location as
    well as the name of the item. Post back any info.

    If there is no Broadcom entry in Add/Remove Programs, no broadcom application or process
    running in Task Manager, and no broadcom startup item shown in msconfig, then I'm afraid
    I've run out of ideas. Try hp tech support again. This time you can tell them that you
    did try Network Assistant, but that it doesn't support your router.

    Lem, Feb 16, 2006