WPA problems with Windows XP - Unable to view wireless networks,but can connect! Any advice?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by rincage, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. rincage

    rincage Guest

    I have an AM1772 based wireless card. I'm using the latest drivers
    (2.2.0.0 with Windows networking in SP2 - no proprietry utilities). All
    works fine. When I first view the wireless network I can see the router,
    I can connect when I type the WPA pre-shared key in and I have no
    problems. If I lose the connection for whatever reason it reconnects as
    soon as it can.

    However, when I simply try and "View Available Wireless Networks" after
    I've connected it says no networks are found (regardless of Wireless
    Zero Config). Not even the one I'm connected to. Basically once I've
    connected with WPA I can't view any other networks. If I want to
    reconnect to anything else I have to remove all the settings for the
    connection with that SSID.

    If I load up NetStumbler it can see the router no problem and displays
    all the appropriate details.

    I also have none of these problems if I can connect with WEP or in the
    open - but I don't want to do that.

    Any advice?

    Bill of Materials is

    Windows XP Pro (SP2)
    Athlon
    No name AM1772 wireless card
    Belkin F5D7630uk4A wireless router and ADSL modem

    --

    Regards
    James

    Remove the obvious bit of the domain name to reply personally
    rincage, Jan 25, 2005

  2. RE: WPA problems with Windows XP - Unable to view wireless networks, b

    I have more or less the same issue. I first noticed no longer being able to
    view available networks around the time I installed XP SP2. I like to run
    very few services, so I surmise in my case SP2 has introduced some new
    interdependencies involving services I don't usually run. I can connect fine
    to, I guess, the strongest available network. But I cannot see a list of
    them, not even of the one I am connected to, and if I disable the wireless
    adapter I cannot re-enable and re-connect without re-booting the machine.
    "Refreshing" the networks list only tells me there are no available networks
    in range even when I am connected without other problems.

    The first thing I thought of doing to 'discover' the problem was to enable
    the new SP2 security stuff like the firewall and ICS or whatever. I get an
    error message that those things can't be started, and the "dependencies"
    field is blank, so I'm flying blind by trial and error when it comes to
    guessing which services need to be enabled.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2MxNzgx?=, Jan 25, 2005

  3. rincage

    Christian Guest

    Re: WPA problems with Windows XP - Unable to view wireless networks, but can connect! Any advice?

    Right click on the icon for the internet connection click repair and you
    should be able to see all wireless networks.

    Christian, Jan 26, 2005
  4. rincage

    rincage Guest

    Christian wrote:
    > Right click on the icon for the internet connection click repair and you
    > should be able to see all wireless networks.

    Tried that and no luck.

    Today I bought a new wireless card (Belkin) and all is working
    perfectly. So I put it down to the previous wireless card and drivers
    that were at fault (ie, poor WPA implementation)

    rincage, Jan 26, 2005