    shows wpanone is removed,
    Can i remove wpanone authentication with xp sp2 if my adatpter don't support
    it, What should i do?

    Jonny, Dec 15, 2008

  2. Jonny

    Lem Guest

    Jonny wrote:
    > hi, i 'm using wireless network adapters with xp sp2, and recentely
    > encountering little problem, sp2 supports wpanone authentication and tkip/aes
    > encryptions in ad-hoc, but when i update sp3 or install wpa2 support kb, wzc
    > shows wpanone is removed,
    > Can i remove wpanone authentication with xp sp2 if my adatpter don't support
    > it, What should i do?

    Unless you're using Vista, which enables WPA2 even for ad hoc wireless
    networks, what you *should* do is get a router and implement WPA2-PSK
    (if your adapter supports it) or at least WPA-PSK (AES). (Actually, I
    don't know how Vista implements WPA2 for ad hoc networks, and I don't
    know how secure such networks really are.)

    For a more detailed discussion, see this archived thread from
    (pre-Vista) 2006:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...n insubject:ad insubject:hoc#7f8209f1075f5709

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Hi
    For End-Users Ad-HOC id kind of a "Lame Mode" from the times that Wireless
    Router were expensive.
    You can get an Inexpensive Wireless Router and use regular infrastructure
    mode (any Router would do better than Ad-Hoc).
    In any case if WPA2 (WPA-AES) is Not supported use regular WPA it should be
    supported with most Wireless card working with Win XP, and Vista.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 15, 2008
  4. Jonny

    Jonny Guest

    Thanks for your reply!
    i'm a driver developer,now i wonder if i can remove wpanone authentication
    from wzc property settings wiht sp2, i have done with sp3 through
    OID_802_11_CAPABILITY, but sp2 don't support this OID.

    Jonny, Dec 16, 2008