    malcolm Guest

    Is there any free software to allow win 98 to use WPA
    encryption?

    malcolm, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Microsoft does not offer native WPA support for Windows 98 or Windows 2000.
    Installing Windows XP SP2 will provide native WPA support.

    I understand that an operating system upgrade may be prohibitive. The
    majority of wireless adapters on the market are bundled with wireless
    supplicants. A wireless supplicant is a software program that manages the
    wireless connections on your system. If you are researching the purchase of
    a wireless adapter, verify that the supplicant provided with it includes
    support for Windows 98 and offers WPA support. If you already own a
    wireless adapter, check the manufacturers website to see if they have
    released a new version with support, or if they have plans to release one.

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Nov 3, 2004

  3. On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:21:29 -0500, "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Unless you are in a very unsafe envioroment use WEP with conjunction of
    >other security measures.
    >
    >If you are really worried change the WEP key every few days.
    >
    >Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).

    I have a Netgear WG311v2 PCI card in a Win98 PC. Although the
    firmware includes drivers for WPA the native GUI does not offer its
    usage, requiring a third part supplicant (like WZC). However the beta
    firmware for this card DOES include WPA-PSK in the native GUI and
    will, presumably, feature it in the final release.

    The WG311v1 and WG311T cards already have this facility, as do the
    equivalent PCMCIA cards.

    I am unable to offer any information on other manufacturers but if you
    have yet to buy (or already have one of these cards) then hopefully
    the above information would be useful.

    Simon Pleasants, Nov 4, 2004
  4. malcolm

    Jack Guest

    "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Microsoft does not offer native WPA support for Windows 98 or Windows

    2000.
    > Installing Windows XP SP2 will provide native WPA support.
    >
    > I understand that an operating system upgrade may be prohibitive. The
    > majority of wireless adapters on the market are bundled with wireless
    > supplicants. A wireless supplicant is a software program that manages the
    > wireless connections on your system. If you are researching the purchase

    of
    > a wireless adapter, verify that the supplicant provided with it includes
    > support for Windows 98 and offers WPA support. If you already own a
    > wireless adapter, check the manufacturers website to see if they have
    > released a new version with support, or if they have plans to release one.
    >
    > --
    > Jerry Peterson
    > Windows Network Services - Wireless

    rights.

    Jack, Nov 4, 2004
  5. malcolm

    TW Guest

    D-Link DWL-G520 PCI adapter does support WPA-PSK on a W98SE machine.

    TW, Nov 7, 2004