    roommates has a vista laptop and she can't connect either.

    Does anyone have any ideas about this?

    Thanks.
    kramer31, Jul 28, 2008

  2. Hi
    There is No either, if it is WPA2, and the laptop can not do WPA2 it would
    not work.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 28, 2008

  3. kramer31

    John Guest

    "kramer31" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I have run WPA for a while now and usually don't have two many
    > problems.

    Are you sure? I doubt it is WPA. My wild guess is it's WPA2. Check it again.
    What's your router brand and model? How is it configured?

    > I have a Windows XP SP2 Laptop and a Macbook (OS X 10.5).

    WinXP with SP2 isn't WPA2 ready. It needs KB893357 update. You can download
    it from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4D-E7C1-48D6-95EE-1459234F4483&displaylang=en

    > The Mac connects just fine, but the Windows machine doesn't even
    > though I have configured each to use the same WPA key (pre shared
    > key).

    Be sure upper/lower case is correct too. Preshared key may be case
    sensitive.

    > The router is configured to use WPA/WPA2 (i.e. either), but my

    Did you mean you've tried both WPA, then WPA2? And both config failed?

    > windows laptop will not connect regardless. Incidentally, one of my
    > roommates has a vista laptop and she can't connect either.

    Vista is WPA2 ready (without an add-on patch). I'm not sure why she can't
    connect. Does she have the latest wifi driver on her Vista laptop? Does the
    wifi adapter support WPA2?
    John, Jul 28, 2008