WPA Ambiguous labels !!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RJK, Sep 30, 2006.

  1. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Whoever writes all this stuff and creates different labels for THE SAME
    THING could do with a swift kick in backside !

    After doing some reading on the web, I thought I would tackle my Linksys
    WAG452 router and LinksysWMP54Gv4.0 pci card in Dads PC downstairs !
    ....and change them both from from WEP to WPA. After a glance in the Linksys
    firmware help screen (pasted in below), I see there's lots of mind boggling
    explanations:-
    ....there seems to be no way to choose TKIP or AES so it looked like I didn't
    have to fiddle with those - I selected WPA (in WAG354G upstairs) and typed
    in my new password. Then I trundled downstairs and dug my way into Dads'
    WMP54G software, and created a new profile - and noticed that there was no
    WPA label in the encryption options ! There were several labels that looked
    similar to the stuff in the Linksys help screen.
    Best gamble was TKIP but, (without running down there again), I don't think
    it was labelled such, I think it was TKSP, and just below that was
    TKSP+RADIOUS and several others. Anyway, I got it right first time but,
    WHAT A FARCE ! ...WHAT STUPID LABELS ...that don't match up ! Why are
    there so many labels for the same thing ?

    regards, Richard

    The Gateway supports four different types of security settings for your
    network. Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) Pre-Shared key, WPA Remote Access Dial
    In User Service (RADIUS), RADIUS, and Wire Equivalence Protection (WEP).

    To enable Security Settings, click the Enable radio button. Then click the
    Edit Security Settings button to configure the security settings. To disable
    security settings, keep the default setting, Disable.

    WPA Pre-Shared Key: There are two encryption options for WPA Pre-Shared Key,
    TKIP and AES. TKIP stands for Temporal Key Integrity Protocol. TKIP utilizes
    a stronger encrytption method and incorporates Message Integrity Code (MIC)
    to provide protection against hackers. AES stands for Advanced Encryption
    System, which utilizes a symmetric 128-Bit block data encryption.

    To use WPA Pre-Shared Key, enter a password in the WPA Shared Key field
    between 8 and 63 characters long. You may also enter a Group Key Renewal
    Interval time between 0 and 99,999 seconds.

    WPA RADIUS: WPA RADIUS uses an external RADIUS server to perform user
    authentication. To use WPA RADIUS, enter the IP address of the RADIUS
    server, the RADIUS Port (default is 1812) and the shared secret from the
    RADIUS server.

    RADIUS: RADIUS utilizes either a RADIUS server for authentication or WEP for
    data encryption. To utilize RADIUS, enter the IP address of the RADIUS
    server and its shared secret. Select the desired encryption bit (64 or 128)
    for WEP and enter either a passphrase or a manual WEP key.

    WEP: There are two levels of WEP encryption, 64-bit and 128-bit. The higher
    the encryption bit, the more secure your network, however, speed is
    sacrificed at higher bit levels. To utilize WEP, select the desired
    encryption bit, and enter a passphrase or a WEP key in hexadecimal format.
    RJK, Sep 30, 2006