    Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
    encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.

    thanks
    max, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Hi
    From the weakest to the Strongest..
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    ----------------------------
    What is WEP WPA, and WPA2 - <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
    The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
    I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is
    only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 13, 2007

  3. > "max" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
    >> encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.
    >>
    >> thanks

    Though Jack gave you the array of choices, he did not describe the
    DIFFERENCE between WPA and WPA2 with AES encryption.

    First off, though some vendors provided the ability, AES was not a part of
    the WPA interoperable test specification from the WiFi Alliance. And that
    is basically what WPA and WPA2 are, they are test interoperability
    specifications. WPA was built of a draft release of 802.11i and supported a
    new key generation algorithm and encryption process called TKIP, while WPA2
    was built from the full "Real Secure Network" definition in the final
    802.11i specification and included new encryption process named AES.

    While all of that is a nice history lesson, the DIFFERENCE between the two
    deals with the manner and algorithms used to authenticate user/shared key
    and generation of the key sent to the MAC layer to actually encrypt the data
    packets going between the AP and client.

    Phil Doragh
    Philip Doragh, Feb 14, 2007
  4. Hi
    The paged linked in my post above describes the differences.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 14, 2007