Wow64 error on Server 2003 x64 when attempting to install Exchange

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by attosecond, Dec 31, 2007.

  1. attosecond

    attosecond Guest

    Something's seriously fishy with the Wow64 emulation on my machine. It's a
    fresh install of Server 2003 Enterprise x64 with SP2 and all current
    Microsoft Update critical updates. I have no problems installing small
    utility programs (WinRAR, etc) that are native 32-bit apps. However, when I
    attempt to install Exchange Server 2007 or Office 2007 Enterprise, nothing
    happens. The event log shows event ID 1109 logged by the Wow64 emulation
    layer; the error text reads (for Office Ent 2K7, as the example):

    "The program or feature "D:\setup.exe" cannot start or run due to
    incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software
    vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available"

    Very odd, since this Office 2k7 image was successfully used to install
    Office on another machine running Vista Business 64-bit. Also, that Vista
    Business 64-bit machine can successfully start the splash info/install screen
    for the Exchange Server 2k7 image, while my new Server 2k3 installation gives
    me script errors when mousing over any of the hyperlinks, and attempting to
    start D:\Setup\ServerRoles\Common\ExSetupUI.exe again results in the 1109
    error logged by Wow64.

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Erik

    attosecond, Dec 31, 2007

  2. Exchange 2k7 is 64-bit only, or should be. If you want to install the 32-bit
    test version, it should be installed in a VM.

    Office has no business being installed on a Server, except as a Terminal
    Server application.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 31, 2007

  3. Don't try to force which Program Files folder is used when installing. The
    OS will install into the correct folder for the program.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 31, 2007
  4. attosecond

    attosecond Guest

    Re: Wow64 error on Server 2003 x64 when attempting to install Exch

    Hi Charlie,

    This is a fact I am certainly aware of. I am attempting to install Exchange
    2k7 on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64. It doesn't work. I get 1109 errors
    from the Wow64 emulation layer.

    attosecond, Jan 1, 2008
  5. attosecond

    attosecond Guest

    Re: Wow64 error on Server 2003 x64 when attempting to install Exch

    The setup executables don't run at all. There's no forcing of anything.
    Double-click setup.exe and watch absolutely nothing happen.

    attosecond, Jan 1, 2008
  6. Re: Wow64 error on Server 2003 x64 when attempting to install Exch

    WOW64 shouldn't have anything to do with Exchange 2k7. Something is
    seriously wrong here, and I'd be inclined to start over completely.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 1, 2008
  7. attosecond

    attosecond Guest

    Re: Wow64 error on Server 2003 x64 when attempting to install Exch

    My thoughts are these: some of the installer executables were compiled
    32-bit, even though the apps they install are 64-bit. I had the same
    inclination as you, and did start over completely (twice) with no luck. I'm
    not doing anything outrageous: put the Server 2k3 x64 CD in the drive, boot
    from it, install it, run Microsoft Update. Attempt to install Exchange 2k7.
    Error 1109. The fact that I get the same error when attempting to install
    from a known good media (Office Ent 2k7) tells me that it's probably not my
    Exchange media. KB911021 seems to describe my symptoms, but it was also
    apparently included in Windows Server 2k3 SP2.

    attosecond, Jan 1, 2008