    Tor

    http://www.torstudios.com
    , Jun 29, 2006

  2. Dr_danger Guest

    wrote:
    > bummer.
    >
    > I am moving from an Olympus 5050 to a canon 30d.
    >
    > While I do not have the entire manual memorized, I believe these
    > bummers are true.
    >
    > 1) no manual control of internal flash, only exposure comp.
    >
    > 2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
    > white balance)
    >
    > I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
    > spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
    > camera.
    >
    > Tor
    >
    > http://www.torstudios.com

    Let me get this right.
    You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
    business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
    Canon??? Get some help mate.

    --
    From Douglas...
    My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au
    Dr_danger, Jun 30, 2006

  3. BD Guest

    > Let me get this right.
    > You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
    > business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
    > Canon??? Get some help mate.

    Nice, unbiased, sweeping statement. ;-)
    BD, Jun 30, 2006
  4. Guest

    mmmm, I love my new canon.

    And the last I checked, Olympus did not make a camera that shoots
    usable 3200 iso and makes a lens that is 2.8 throughout its zoom, with
    stabilized optics.

    But that aside, I have made way more usable photos from that 5050 than
    I every should have.

    I guess I'll just have to embrace this e-ttl business whole heartily.
    The 420EX is only $150 used, so I could pick up a few of those.

    But in regards to custom settings.... I do a few things, over and over.
    Do I really need to make a check list.... that seems lame.

    tor

    BD wrote:
    > > Let me get this right.
    > > You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
    > > business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
    > > Canon??? Get some help mate.

    > Nice, unbiased, sweeping statement. ;-)
    , Jun 30, 2006
  5. Annika1980 Guest

    Dr_danger wrote:
    > Let me get this right.
    > You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
    > business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
    > Canon??? Get some help mate.

    Is that why you own a 1DsMKII and all those 5Ds?
    Oh that's right, Dmac, you don't!
    Dr. Danger = D-Faker
    Annika1980, Jun 30, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > bummer.
    >
    > I am moving from an Olympus 5050 to a canon 30d.
    >
    > While I do not have the entire manual memorized, I believe these
    > bummers are true.
    >
    > 1) no manual control of internal flash, only exposure comp.

    The internal flash is always partially automatic. You can adjust the
    relative power and you can have it fill for a manual exposure. Those
    two settings have always worked well for me on my 350D. I manually set
    the exposure for the background then adjust the flash power for the
    foreground. Once that's done it's good for many photos.

    I don't expect miracles from an internal flash. A point source of light
    doesn't look good so it's best kept to a minimum.

    > 2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
    > white balance)

    Not sure about this one but it should be much faster to adjust than the
    Oly C series.

    > I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
    > spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
    > camera.

    Should still work fine. Turn down the flash power so it's just enough
    to trigger the slaves reliably. You may want to put a little remote
    control on the flash mount so you can completely eliminate the internal
    flash.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 30, 2006
  7. Pete D Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message

    > Dr_danger wrote:
    >> Let me get this right.
    >> You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
    >> business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
    >> Canon??? Get some help mate.
    >>

    > Is that why you own a 1DsMKII and all those 5Ds?
    > Oh that's right, Dmac, you don't!
    > Dr. Danger = D-Faker

    So that would now be 41 sock puppets/Sig changes for Doug?
    Pete D, Jun 30, 2006
  8. Pete D Guest

    "Dr_danger" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> bummer.
    >>
    >> I am moving from an Olympus 5050 to a canon 30d.
    >>
    >> While I do not have the entire manual memorized, I believe these
    >> bummers are true.
    >>
    >> 1) no manual control of internal flash, only exposure comp.
    >>
    >> 2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
    >> white balance)
    >>
    >> I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
    >> spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
    >> camera.
    >>
    >> Tor
    >>
    >> http://www.torstudios.com
    >>

    > Let me get this right.
    > You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
    > business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
    > Canon??? Get some help mate.
    >
    > --
    > From Douglas...
    > My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au
    > Canvas Archival and Metallic Prints: http://www.canvasphotos.com.au

    Douglas you bloody germ, how the hell am I supposed to keep you killfiled?
    Pete D, Jun 30, 2006
  9. Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

    > The internal flash is always partially automatic. You can adjust the
    > relative power and you can have it fill for a manual exposure. Those
    > two settings have always worked well for me on my 350D. I manually set
    > the exposure for the background then adjust the flash power for the
    > foreground. Once that's done it's good for many photos.

    Its a bit of a sensitive thing, as you know. That sucker can leave a
    shadow. And it can vary from frame to frame, because its being metered.
    I think I have resolved to get a third 420ex or something like that.

    > I don't expect miracles from an internal flash. A point source of light
    > doesn't look good so it's best kept to a minimum.

    It is being used in addition to a large fore-light.

    > > 2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
    > > white balance)

    > Not sure about this one but it should be much faster to adjust than the
    > Oly C series.

    yes, I will just have to be careful on this one, as I am a bit
    forgetful. The Oly was great. I had it set for things like "k-1000 iso
    100" or "a priority, 400 iso, no flash, 2800 kelvin"

    I could walk into a theater shoot and press one button and take great
    shots and not blast the first frame with the flash, as I always did in
    the past.

    > > I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
    > > spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
    > > camera.

    > Should still work fine. Turn down the flash power so it's just enough
    > to trigger the slaves reliably. You may want to put a little remote
    > control on the flash mount so you can completely eliminate the internal
    > flash.

    Its the little eye spark that I am most interested in. Just seems a
    shame that I need an expensive external flash when there is one just
    perfect right there... but it only runs with a meter reading, and that
    blasted preflash.

    Oh well, I was dreaming that I misunderstood the camera's capabilities,
    but, I think I haven't.

    Thanks for the comments,

    Tor

    > > Tor
    > >
    > > http://www.torstudios.com
    , Jun 30, 2006
  10. J. Clarke Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > "Dr_danger" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>> bummer.
    >>>
    >>> I am moving from an Olympus 5050 to a canon 30d.
    >>>
    >>> While I do not have the entire manual memorized, I believe these
    >>> bummers are true.
    >>>
    >>> 1) no manual control of internal flash, only exposure comp.
    >>>
    >>> 2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
    >>> white balance)
    >>>
    >>> I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
    >>> spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
    >>> camera.
    >>>
    >>> Tor
    >>>
    >>> http://www.torstudios.com
    >>>

    >> Let me get this right.
    >> You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
    >> business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
    >> Canon??? Get some help mate.
    >>
    >> --
    >> From Douglas...
    >> My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au
    >> Canvas Archival and Metallic Prints: http://www.canvasphotos.com.au

    > Douglas you bloody germ, how the hell am I supposed to keep you killfiled?

    Filter on his sig? If your reader won't do that consider setting up a
    hamster <http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/flavours.htm>.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate