    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    nick c Guest

    nick c, Jun 29, 2012

  3. RichA

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Jun 29, 2012
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Wow! I thought the Nikon was pricey (35mm f1.4)

    On Jun 28, 7:57 pm, nick c <> wrote:
    > On 6/28/2012 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-Leitz-Summilux-35mm-f-1-4-black-Pa...

    > Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version.  :))

    As the wealthy turn their backs on traditional investments like stocks
    and bonds, the world of art and tangible collectables continues to see
    records broken, despite the economy.

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012
  5. RichA

    otter Guest

    otter, Jun 29, 2012
  6. David J Taylor, Jun 29, 2012
  7. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jun 28, 7:57 pm, nick c <> wrote:
    >> On 6/28/2012 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-Leitz-Summilux-35mm-f-1-4-black-Pa...

    >> Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version.  :))

    >As the wealthy turn their backs on traditional investments like stocks
    >and bonds, the world of art and tangible collectables continues to see
    >records broken, despite the economy.

    I buy and sell quite a lot of collectable equipment, mainly Alpa
    cameras, Kern and Angenieux lenses. Despite the demise of film, the
    market for Alpa 35mm film bodies has held up surprisingly well.

    However, there has been a steady and significant change in the market.
    Five years ago, most of my buyers were in Western Europe with a few in
    North America and Japan. Now, the market has swung east and is
    dominated by buyers from Hong Kong with a few in mainland China and
    Japan.

    Bruce, Jun 29, 2012
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    nick c <> wrote:
    >On 6/28/2012 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-...06930100?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item41675b97b4
    >>

    >Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version. :))

    The sad thing about this $61,300 offering is that the lens isn't
    exactly optically excellent to start with. Leica's 35mm f/1.4
    Summilux was very soft wide open and didn't sharpen up across the
    frame until f/4-f/5.6. Its contemporary 35mm f/2 Summicron (a.k.a.
    the King of Bokeh) was a much better performer and was a lot sharper
    at f/2 than the Summilux.

    There have since been three successive versions of the Summilux, all
    with aspherical element(s) and they are optically far superior to the
    one advertised. The first of these was hand made as the design didn't
    suit series production.

    The second, which I use, is spectacularly sharp on film at all
    apertures including wide open but exhibits a slight focus shift when
    stopped down. In most cases this won't be noticed because the
    increased depth of field more than covers the focus shift, but Leica
    has renewed the design for digital and it has near-zero focus shift.
    That's the one that costs $6950.

    No doubt it is a superlative lens, but I find mine more than adequate.
    The used value of mine is about US $4000.

    Bruce, Jun 29, 2012
  9. RichA

    On Jun 29, 6:02 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version.  :))

    > >As the wealthy turn their backs on traditional investments like stocks
    > >and bonds, the world of art and tangible collectables continues to see
    > >records broken, despite the economy.

    > I buy and sell quite a lot of collectable equipment, mainly Alpa
    > cameras, Kern and Angenieux lenses.  Despite the demise of film, the
    > market for Alpa 35mm film bodies has held up surprisingly well.
    >
    > However, there has been a steady and significant change in the market.
    > Five years ago, most of my buyers were in Western Europe with a few in
    > North America and Japan.  Now, the market has swung east and is
    > dominated by buyers from Hong Kong with a few in mainland China and
    > Japan.

    At used camera auctions in Toronto, a lot of the buyers are purchasing
    to export to Mainland China.

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012
  10. RichA

    Rob Guest

    On 29/06/2012 10:50 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jun 29, 6:02 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:

    >>> As the wealthy turn their backs on traditional investments like stocks
    >>> and bonds, the world of art and tangible collectables continues to see
    >>> records broken, despite the economy.

    >> I buy and sell quite a lot of collectable equipment, mainly Alpa
    >> cameras, Kern and Angenieux lenses. Despite the demise of film, the
    >> market for Alpa 35mm film bodies has held up surprisingly well.
    >>
    >> However, there has been a steady and significant change in the market.
    >> Five years ago, most of my buyers were in Western Europe with a few in
    >> North America and Japan. Now, the market has swung east and is
    >> dominated by buyers from Hong Kong with a few in mainland China and
    >> Japan.

    > At used camera auctions in Toronto, a lot of the buyers are purchasing
    > to export to Mainland China.

    Was in Hong Kong couple of weeks ago and tried to buy some old Chinese
    made SLR and range finder cameras from a junk bin condition very poor. -
    they wanted something like $120 - $150 each ridiculous prices where you
    should be able to pick them up for $15-20 each

    Rob, Jun 29, 2012
  11. RichA

    DanP Guest

    On Friday, 29 June 2012 13:56:31 UTC+1, Rob wrote:
    > On 29/06/2012 10:50 PM, RichA wrote:

    > >> I buy and sell quite a lot of collectable equipment, mainly Alpa
    > >> cameras, Kern and Angenieux lenses. Despite the demise of film, the
    > >> market for Alpa 35mm film bodies has held up surprisingly well.
    > >>
    > >> However, there has been a steady and significant change in the market.
    > >> Five years ago, most of my buyers were in Western Europe with a few in
    > >> North America and Japan. Now, the market has swung east and is
    > >> dominated by buyers from Hong Kong with a few in mainland China and
    > >> Japan.

    > > At used camera auctions in Toronto, a lot of the buyers are purchasing
    > > to export to Mainland China.
    > >

    > Was in Hong Kong couple of weeks ago and tried to buy some old Chinese
    > made SLR and range finder cameras from a junk bin condition very poor. -
    > they wanted something like $120 - $150 each ridiculous prices where you
    > should be able to pick them up for $15-20 each

    If you wanted to buy that junk you start by offering a fiver.
    Otherwise there's ebay for decent old film cameras.

    DanP

    DanP, Jun 29, 2012