WOW ... An impresive effect ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Giorgis, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. Giorgis

    Giorgis Guest

    I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but I was
    having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.

    While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a better way
    than grad filters.

    In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
    across this site:

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

    I followed it's advice, but I added to the procedure a couple of notches.

    First this tutorial requires you use a tripod. You can use hand held.
    You take a bracketed shot so you over and under expose the image.

    The problem is that you might shake a little. When importing into
    Photoshop, make one mask 30% opaque and then shift it until they match
    then back to 100%.

    I did exactly that with an image of my back yard, a large tree. I used
    the magic wand to ensure I dont walk into the dark tree area too much.

    After a short while I came up with an image were the shadows are
    perfectly exposed and the highlights are also perfectly exposed. Being a
    leafy tree with twigs means that I needed alot more work. But for
    five-ten minutes I created an image with fantastic dynamic range and
    realistic (although a film photographer might think it looks artificial :).

    Back to the Grad filters ... Their disadvantage is that you have to add
    filters and in my case a step up ring adding to the expense and the
    bulk. They also only would work with landscapes were there is a clear
    line like a lake or a horizon. They would be useless in the case of a tree.

    The only advantage I can think of in a grad filter is that you take a
    single shot and your done. No problem with leaves moving between
    bracketing and so on.

    Giorgis

    PS: Don't shoot me, as I am an amature so this technique came as a
    surprise to me. I love this camera even more ... amm I know it's an
    inanimate object ... :) If only I knew this touring Europe.

    Giorgis, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Giorgis

    jjs Guest

    In article <3facc408$0$9225$>, Giorgis
    <> wrote:

    > I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but

    I was
    > having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.
    >
    > While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a

    better way
    > than grad filters.
    >
    > In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
    > across this site:
    >
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

    For more of such approaches, see:
    http://WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU/~stafford/br/

    jjs, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Giorgis

    Grandpad Guest

    Thanks guys, really interesting stuff.

    Grandpad, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Giorgis

    Giorgis Guest

    Grandpad wrote:
    > Thanks guys, really interesting stuff.
    >
    > jjs wrote:
    >

    >>In article <3facc408$0$9225$>, Giorgis
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but

    >>I was
    >>
    >>>having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.
    >>>
    >>> While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a

    >>better way
    >>
    >>>than grad filters.
    >>>
    >>> In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
    >>>across this site:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

    >>For more of such approaches, see:
    >>http://WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU/~stafford/br/

    ?! Great stuff ...

    Giorgis

    Giorgis, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Giorgis

    Mark Grady Guest

    Thanks for the post. I read the tutorial, it sounds good. I'm going to try
    it.

    "Giorgis" <> wrote in message
    > I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but I was
    > having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.
    >
    > While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a better way
    > than grad filters.
    >
    > In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
    > across this site:
    >
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml
    >
    > I followed it's advice, but I added to the procedure a couple of notches.
    >

    > First this tutorial requires you use a tripod. You can use hand held.
    > You take a bracketed shot so you over and under expose the image.
    >
    > The problem is that you might shake a little. When importing into
    > Photoshop, make one mask 30% opaque and then shift it until they match
    > then back to 100%.
    >
    > I did exactly that with an image of my back yard, a large tree. I used
    > the magic wand to ensure I dont walk into the dark tree area too much.
    >
    > After a short while I came up with an image were the shadows are
    > perfectly exposed and the highlights are also perfectly exposed. Being a
    > leafy tree with twigs means that I needed alot more work. But for
    > five-ten minutes I created an image with fantastic dynamic range and
    > realistic (although a film photographer might think it looks artificial

    :).

    Mark Grady, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Giorgis

    MikeWhy Guest

    "jjs" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

    > For more of such approaches, see:
    > http://WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU/~stafford/br/

    Apply image with multiply or a burn mode also works; I just wish I'd thought
    to charge money for mentioning it. For that matter, a curve adjustment layer
    with one of the darken modes works to bring back detail -- it would have to
    be there in the same image -- that washed out from other curve moves. When
    it's all said and done, that level of manipulation is tedious. It would have
    to be an exceptional photo to warrant that amount of labor. Maybe I'm just
    sore that I haven't shot anything really spectacular lately. OTOH, I might
    just be thinking that compositing is compositing. Why limit yourself to the
    sky in *that* particular picture? Why not the sunset you shot in Acapulco
    last spring?

    MikeWhy, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Giorgis

    JIM Guest

    "MikeWhy" <> wrote in message news:_lkrb.17860
    .....<cut>....
    > OTOH, I might just be thinking that compositing is compositing. Why limit

    yourself to the
    > sky in *that* particular picture? Why not the sunset you shot in Acapulco
    > last spring?

    Perzacktly! As someone noted, film shooters might object;); however, even
    film shooters can manipulate images - remember scanners.........I made a
    file for my son to sell his car on the internet - made the pic of the car in
    his yard and eliminated or changed the background by putting one of my more
    interesting Wyoming/Colorado skys in there. 'Course, anyone looking at this
    photo might come to understand that there is no place in all of Georgia you
    could get a picture like that;)

    Shoot'em up, real, unreal, surrealistic, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest
    will love you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM, Nov 10, 2003