Would you return this new camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by remove_@no.spam, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
    spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
    dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
    below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
    goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
    changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
    of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
    it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
    wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
    background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
    photos.

    I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
    possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
    Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.

    It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
    defect to you? Would you return the camera?

    I'm posting original pics below:

    Blank wall 1
    http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG

    Blank wall 2
    http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG

    Actual photo
    http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG

    Actual LCD display.
    http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG

    (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
    lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
    the lower lamp.)
    , Aug 9, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
    > spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
    > dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
    > below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
    > goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
    > changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
    > of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
    > it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
    > wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
    > background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
    > photos.
    >
    > I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
    > possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
    > Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
    >
    > It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
    > defect to you? Would you return the camera?
    >
    > I'm posting original pics below:
    >
    > Blank wall 1
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
    >
    > Blank wall 2
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
    >
    > Actual photo
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
    >
    > Actual LCD display.
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
    >
    > (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
    > lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
    > the lower lamp.)

    In word, yes. I might check to see if there is a visable spot of dust
    on the front or rear elements that you can safely clean off.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 9, 2007

  3. wrote:
    []
    > It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
    > defect to you? Would you return the camera?

    No. No. Yes.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 9, 2007
  4. > I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
    > possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
    > Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.

    Even if it was only $5 you should take it back as it is faulty.
    Steven Campbell, Aug 9, 2007
  5. Somebody Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
    > spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
    > dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
    > below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
    > goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
    > changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
    > of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
    > it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
    > wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
    > background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
    > photos.
    >
    > I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
    > possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
    > Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
    >
    > It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
    > defect to you? Would you return the camera?
    >
    > I'm posting original pics below:
    >
    > Blank wall 1
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
    >
    > Blank wall 2
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
    >
    > Actual photo
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
    >
    > Actual LCD display.
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
    >
    > (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
    > lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
    > the lower lamp.)

    Return it for a new one. Its a pain, but you paid for a new camera not a
    defective one.

    Somebody!
    Somebody, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Gino Guest

    Have you cleaned the front of the lens?

    Gino, Aug 9, 2007
  7. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
    > spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
    > dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
    > below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
    > goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
    > changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
    > of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
    > it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
    > wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
    > background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
    > photos.
    >
    > I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
    > possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
    > Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
    >
    > It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
    > defect to you? Would you return the camera?
    >
    > I'm posting original pics below:
    >
    > Blank wall 1
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
    >
    > Blank wall 2
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
    >
    > Actual photo
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
    >
    > Actual LCD display.
    > http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
    >
    > (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
    > lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
    > the lower lamp.)

    Yes, return it!
    Ron Hunter, Aug 10, 2007
  8. Guest

    Thanks for the replies.

    Yes, I thought there might be dust on the front of the lens and I
    cleaned it, but no change.

    It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
    wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
    manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
    for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.

    I'm going to return it.

    Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
    stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
    item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:26:36 +0100, "Gino" <> wrote:

    >Have you cleaned the front of the lens?
    >

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I just received my new camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 from Adorama. I
    >> spotted a very obvious artifact on the LCD right away. It's a large
    >> dark circle in the upper-right quadrant of the picture (see photos
    >> below). It moves towards the center of the picture as you zoom, and it
    >> goes more into focus when you press the shutter halfway down (aperture
    >> changes). It seems like some dirt inside the lens but NOT in the field
    >> of focus. It shows up as a dark round stain on every photo, although
    >> it's ONLY visible where there is an even background, such as a blank
    >> wall, an even medium-gray scene, or product photography with a flat
    >> background. Realistically, I'd say it's only noticeable in about 5% of
    >> photos.
    >>
    >> I know it's only a $250 point-and-shoot camera but WTF. Is it not
    >> possible to buy a quality product, free of manufacturing defects? My
    >> Sony went dead with a defective CCD, so I decided to switch brands.
    >>
    >> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
    >> defect to you? Would you return the camera?
    >>
    >> I'm posting original pics below:
    >>
    >> Blank wall 1
    >> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0020.JPG
    >>
    >> Blank wall 2
    >> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0021.JPG
    >>
    >> Actual photo
    >> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/IMG_0028.JPG
    >>
    >> Actual LCD display.
    >> http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGES/DSC02362.JPG
    >>
    >> (The two bright spots on the right edge of the LCD are the backlight
    >> lamps, my camcorder doesn't do that,, also a red-hot pixel just above
    >> the lower lamp.)

    , Aug 10, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:29:59 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >[]
    >> It this common for digital cameras these days? Is this an acceptable
    >> defect to you? Would you return the camera?

    >No. No. Yes.
    >
    >David

    Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

    Craig

    "Nothing matters but the weekend, from a Tuesday point of view."
    , Aug 10, 2007
  10. Mark Sieving Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:26:19 GMT, wrote:

    >It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
    >wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
    >manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
    >for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.

    I don't know anything about Canon's quality control procedures in
    particular, but in general very few manufacturers test every product
    coming off the line. They test a statistically significant sample of
    products, with the realization that some defective items will get by.
    That's what warranties are for.

    Mark Sieving
    Mark Sieving, Aug 10, 2007
  11. <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the replies.
    >
    > Yes, I thought there might be dust on the front of the lens and I
    > cleaned it, but no change.

    I doubt that anything on the front of the lens would show up on the image
    like that anyway.

    > It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
    > wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
    > manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
    > for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.

    I agree, that fault is inexcusable.

    > I'm going to return it.
    >
    > Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
    > stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
    > item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.

    If it was shipped from Adorama, no doubt that's who you'll have to return it
    to. I'd contact Adorama about it right away. You'll probably have to ship it
    back at your own expense, but I should think Adorama would pay for shipping
    a replacement -- if you decide you want the same model rather than a refund.

    Adorama is good to deal with directly, and they'll probably be just as good
    on orders placed through Amazon. In the unlikely event they give you any
    problem about it, Amazon ought to straighten it out to your satisfaction.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Aug 10, 2007
  12. ray Guest

    Yes, I would.
    ray, Aug 10, 2007
  13. irwell Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:26:19 GMT, wrote:

    >Thanks for the replies.
    >
    >Yes, I thought there might be dust on the front of the lens and I
    >cleaned it, but no change.
    >
    >It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
    >wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
    >manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
    >for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.
    >
    >I'm going to return it.
    >
    >Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
    >stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
    >item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.

    Your first step is to get in touch with Amazon, they have a page on
    how to return products, including a prepaid shipping label.
    irwell, Aug 10, 2007
  14. irwell Guest

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:16:58 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the replies.
    >>
    >> Yes, I thought there might be dust on the front of the lens and I
    >> cleaned it, but no change.

    >I doubt that anything on the front of the lens would show up on the image
    >like that anyway.
    >

    >> It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
    >> wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
    >> manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
    >> for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.

    >I agree, that fault is inexcusable.
    >

    >> I'm going to return it.
    >>
    >> Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
    >> stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
    >> item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.

    >If it was shipped from Adorama, no doubt that's who you'll have to return it
    >to. I'd contact Adorama about it right away. You'll probably have to ship it
    >back at your own expense, but I should think Adorama would pay for shipping
    >a replacement -- if you decide you want the same model rather than a refund.
    >
    >Adorama is good to deal with directly, and they'll probably be just as good
    >on orders placed through Amazon. In the unlikely event they give you any
    >problem about it, Amazon ought to straighten it out to your satisfaction.
    >
    >Neil

    Not good advice, he should contact Amazon FIRST, they will instruct on
    how o return the product.
    irwell, Aug 10, 2007
  15. Guest

    I called Adorama, they sent me a UPS return label immediately, and
    will credit my Visa. Good service, very polite, but it's still
    annoying & inconvenient when you receive defective equipment. They
    were out of stock on this item, but I will buy stuff from Adorama
    again. I didn't call Amazon.com, since the order came from Adorama.

    Thanks all :)

    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the replies.
    >>
    >> Yes, I thought there might be dust on the front of the lens and I
    >> cleaned it, but no change.

    >I doubt that anything on the front of the lens would show up on the image
    >like that anyway.
    >

    >> It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
    >> wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
    >> manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
    >> for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.

    >I agree, that fault is inexcusable.
    >

    >> I'm going to return it.
    >>
    >> Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
    >> stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
    >> item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.

    >If it was shipped from Adorama, no doubt that's who you'll have to return it
    >to. I'd contact Adorama about it right away. You'll probably have to ship it
    >back at your own expense, but I should think Adorama would pay for shipping
    >a replacement -- if you decide you want the same model rather than a refund.
    >
    >Adorama is good to deal with directly, and they'll probably be just as good
    >on orders placed through Amazon. In the unlikely event they give you any
    >problem about it, Amazon ought to straighten it out to your satisfaction.
    >
    >Neil

    , Aug 10, 2007
  16. Guest

    BTW, Amazon seems like a middleman, they promote a lot of stuff and
    they have good prices, discounts, free shipping on many items, etc,
    but they are SLOW to ship. They also arbitrarily break up your order
    and make part shipments, and you don't know when the rest of your
    stuff will ship. I will buy from Amazon again.

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:46:44 GMT, wrote:

    >I called Adorama, they sent me a UPS return label immediately, and
    >will credit my Visa. Good service, very polite, but it's still
    >annoying & inconvenient when you receive defective equipment. They
    >were out of stock on this item, but I will buy stuff from Adorama
    >again. I didn't call Amazon.com, since the order came from Adorama.
    >
    >Thanks all :)
    >

    >On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:16:58 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for the replies.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I thought there might be dust on the front of the lens and I
    >>> cleaned it, but no change.

    >>I doubt that anything on the front of the lens would show up on the image
    >>like that anyway.
    >>

    >>> It took me less than 1 minute to spot the problem, so it makes me
    >>> wonder if Canon has any kind of quality control in their
    >>> manufacturing. The way I see it, I got to do Canon's quality control
    >>> for them and I have the privilege of paying for it too.

    >>I agree, that fault is inexcusable.
    >>

    >>> I'm going to return it.
    >>>
    >>> Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
    >>> stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
    >>> item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.

    >>If it was shipped from Adorama, no doubt that's who you'll have to return it
    >>to. I'd contact Adorama about it right away. You'll probably have to ship it
    >>back at your own expense, but I should think Adorama would pay for shipping
    >>a replacement -- if you decide you want the same model rather than a refund.
    >>
    >>Adorama is good to deal with directly, and they'll probably be just as good
    >>on orders placed through Amazon. In the unlikely event they give you any
    >>problem about it, Amazon ought to straighten it out to your satisfaction.
    >>
    >>Neil

    , Aug 10, 2007
  17. <> wrote in message
    >I called Adorama, they sent me a UPS return label immediately, [ . . . ]

    That's good. If it's a prepaid UPS label (which seems likely since it's
    specifically UPS) that's better than most sellers will do for you.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Aug 10, 2007
  18. "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:16:58 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
    >>> stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
    >>> item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.

    >>If it was shipped from Adorama, no doubt that's who you'll have to return
    >>it
    >>to. I'd contact Adorama about it right away. You'll probably have to ship
    >>it
    >>back at your own expense, but I should think Adorama would pay for
    >>shipping
    >>a replacement -- if you decide you want the same model rather than a
    >>refund.
    >>
    >>Adorama is good to deal with directly, and they'll probably be just as
    >>good
    >>on orders placed through Amazon. In the unlikely event they give you any
    >>problem about it, Amazon ought to straighten it out to your satisfaction.
    >>
    >>Neil
    >>

    > Not good advice, he should contact Amazon FIRST, they will instruct on
    > how o return the product.

    He saved time and bother by contacting Adorama directly.
    Neil Harrington, Aug 10, 2007
  19. Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:48:40 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    :
    : "irwell" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:16:58 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <>
    : > wrote:
    :
    : >>>
    : >>> Actually I didn't order anything from Adorama, I ordered a bunch of
    : >>> stuff from Amazon.com and Adorama happened to be the vendor for this
    : >>> item. So I wonder who's responsible for this mess.
    : >>
[...]

    I think the message from this incident is that Adorama is a highly reputable
    vendor (which I guess we already knew). I suspect that in general it's best to
    contact the vendor that sold it to you before contacting their subcontractor.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 11, 2007
  20. NSN Guest

    I have been ordering from Amazon as often as possible during the past
    year. If Amazon stocks the item, it usually ships within 24 hours. If
    it is through one of their suppliers, such as this case, it usually
    ships within 48 hours. I have been very impressed with Amazon
    shipping AND their A-Z guarantee program.

    In the beginning they were not very reliable and I had to cancel quite
    a few orders because of non-shipment. However, they are now one of the
    most reliable on-line vendors. They are my first choice if they have
    the product in stock.

    In regards to this case, contacting Adorama first was the correct
    choice in resolving the situation.

    Norm

    NSN, Aug 11, 2007