Would you drive a Car with this in..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tony, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Tony

    Peter Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected by a
    > Virus..
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-12WinAuto5PR.mspx

    or, "sorry that version of software is no longer supported, you have to buy
    a new one".

    I would much prefer a system that, if the OEM stopped supporting it, I could
    pay someone else to do what I needed (or do it myself). (But I guess they
    won't extract as much $$ from me that way.)

    Peter

    Peter, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Tony

    Guest

    , Jul 12, 2005
  4. Tony

    thing2 Guest

    thing2, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2005
  6. Tony

    Nova Guest

    Nova, Jul 13, 2005
  7. Tony

    thing2 Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected
    >>> by a
    >>> Virus..

    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-12WinAuto5PR.mspx

    >> I havent read the whole thing, but as long as it is not touching the
    >> engine management, then sure.
    >>

    > or the brakes? :)

    lol.....especially the brakes, nor the door locks.....talk about vendor
    lockin!

    ;]

    regards

    thing

    thing2, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jul 13, 2005
  9. Tony

    ofn01 Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> I havent read the whole thing, but as long as it is not touching the
    >>> engine management, then sure.
    >>>

    >> or the brakes? :)

    > lol.....especially the brakes, nor the door locks.....talk about vendor
    > lockin!
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    You can imagine the Microsoft DRM on your car if it could control the
    locks "Sorry, please phone this number to get a license then we will
    transmit the unlock code to your car (disclaimer - may or may not work)"

    ofn01, Jul 13, 2005
  10. Tony

    Mercury Guest

    Well, I am looking at building an XP based system with wifi, lan (bulk load
    audio,video etc), video playback, mapping, audio of all flavours, cd / dvd
    ripping, remote admin, firewall, internet, email etc. using probably a 7"
    LCD screen in the dash with a low heat dissipation cpu (pentium M on an asus
    p4p800) raid 1 on 2 x 250 gb HDD's.

    If I had the time this could be up and running in a few days with the big
    hassle being routing the wiring, hooking in ignition kill, a UPS, and
    fitting the small video screen in where the satnav is supposed to be. The
    current sound system is supposed to be quite good & experience confirms
    that, but the people that spec'd it made *no* provision for any improvements
    so the head unit is likely to get biffed as it will be redundant.

    Now whats wrong with that? The MS solution supports all sorts of cost
    savings for integration and would work out a lot less expensive ...

    It would appear their is no actual competiton to the MS proposal, so how
    about coming up with some?

    BTW: does anyone know where to get good video screens around 7"? I have
    looked at a few and the quality is AWOL.

    Mercury, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:45:47 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >Well, I am looking at building an XP based system with wifi, lan (bulk load
    >audio,video etc), video playback, mapping, audio of all flavours, cd / dvd
    >ripping, remote admin, firewall, internet, email etc. using probably a 7"
    >LCD screen in the dash with a low heat dissipation cpu (pentium M on an asus
    >p4p800) raid 1 on 2 x 250 gb HDD's.
    >
    >If I had the time this could be up and running in a few days with the big
    >hassle being routing the wiring, hooking in ignition kill, a UPS, and
    >fitting the small video screen in where the satnav is supposed to be. The
    >current sound system is supposed to be quite good & experience confirms
    >that, but the people that spec'd it made *no* provision for any improvements
    >so the head unit is likely to get biffed as it will be redundant.
    >
    >Now whats wrong with that? The MS solution supports all sorts of cost
    >savings for integration and would work out a lot less expensive ...
    >
    >It would appear their is no actual competiton to the MS proposal, so how
    >about coming up with some?
    >
    >BTW: does anyone know where to get good video screens around 7"? I have
    >looked at a few and the quality is AWOL.

    Not alowed in the Front of a Car
    it will fail the WOF..

    Tony, Jul 13, 2005
  12. Mercury wrote:
    > Well, I am looking at building an XP based system with wifi, lan (bulk load
    > audio,video etc), video playback, mapping, audio of all flavours, cd / dvd
    > ripping, remote admin, firewall, internet, email etc. using probably a 7"
    > LCD screen in the dash with a low heat dissipation cpu (pentium M on an asus
    > p4p800) raid 1 on 2 x 250 gb HDD's.

    I'm doing the same with a via epia... however instead of the 7" LCD, I'm
    going for a 7" touch screen.

    > If I had the time this could be up and running in a few days with the big
    > hassle being routing the wiring, hooking in ignition kill, a UPS, and
    > fitting the small video screen in where the satnav is supposed to be.

    Getting it to turn off when I shut the car is my main problem... I'm
    thinking I need something so that it will see the alternator as a sort
    of UPS, and so when it shuts off, the PC says, hmmm, 2 mins to shut off,
    and just does it, but I really have no ideas.

    > BTW: does anyone know where to get good video screens around 7"? I have
    > looked at a few and the quality is AWOL.

    Trademe have some at 800x600 last time I looked.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2005
  13. Tony

    Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > thing2 wrote:
    >
    >> Nova wrote:

    >>> or the brakes? :)

    >> lol.....especially the brakes, nor the door locks.....talk about
    >> vendor lockin!
    >>
    >> ;]
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> thing
    >>

    > You can imagine the Microsoft DRM on your car if it could control the
    > locks "Sorry, please phone this number to get a license then we will
    > transmit the unlock code to your car (disclaimer - may or may not work)"

    Or, terribly sorry your yearly subscription has expired, the car will
    only do 50kmh until such time as you renew.....

    The stop lightbulb you have installed is not a genuine part, we will now
    disable its functionality until such time as it is replaced.....

    The pak'n'save petrol you have just filled up with is not on the
    certified to run on windows approved list, performances will be limited
    to 60% for your own protection....

    I guess it is only natural that any vendor seeks a lockin, but now it is
    coming to the stage that items are so sophisticated that without
    legislation to protect the consumer this could/can be seriously abused
    (and I am not aiming this at MS, lots of companies are like this, MS has
    just been the most visably successful).

    Thanks heaven for OSS, at least there is now aviable choice, companies
    and users can make. The open source freeway or the closed source tollway.

    ;]

    ....trouble is, once on one I suspect it may come done to being in one
    camp or other, black or white, no choice. This is because the owners of
    the tollway will make it as impossible as they can to; not do, buy, use
    or rent anything not in their vertical stack....

    Such business partnerships are happening now, eg EDS with its agility
    offering, so you get a Dell box, Sun box, MS operating system, EMC?,
    Cisco? stack.....anything else is not as "cheap" for the client.......

    So the question is will the client buy from EDS or not? Here is our
    stack buy it is all we offer....I can see EDS happily fitting itself
    into a straight jacket of its own making....

    If you went into say DSE, would you accept that? Here is a Acer laptop,
    it comes with a HP printer, microtec scanner, Windows Longhorn
    lite......it comes with all these no choice and even if you dont want
    them you pay for them and get them......

    Talking to a DSE salesman a while back about dvd players, when I asked
    about regional locking he said they dont sell a locked unit because no
    one would buy one....so consumers are not that silly.....why do
    companies assume they are?

    ie if you have choice, what gets sold is what you want and not what is
    on offer......

    regards

    Thing

    , Jul 13, 2005
  14. Tony

    Mutlley Guest

    Nova <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected
    >>> by a
    >>> Virus..

    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-12WinAuto5PR.mspx

    >> I havent read the whole thing, but as long as it is not touching the
    >> engine management, then sure.
    >>

    >or the brakes? :)

    Or the airbag system..

    Mutlley, Jul 13, 2005
  15. Tony

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:45:47 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >Well, I am looking at building an XP based system with wifi, lan (bulk load
    >audio,video etc), video playback, mapping, audio of all flavours, cd / dvd
    >ripping, remote admin, firewall, internet, email etc. using probably a 7"
    >LCD screen in the dash with a low heat dissipation cpu (pentium M on an asus
    >p4p800) raid 1 on 2 x 250 gb HDD's.
    >
    >If I had the time this could be up and running in a few days with the big
    >hassle being routing the wiring, hooking in ignition kill, a UPS, and
    >fitting the small video screen in where the satnav is supposed to be. The
    >current sound system is supposed to be quite good & experience confirms
    >that, but the people that spec'd it made *no* provision for any improvements
    >so the head unit is likely to get biffed as it will be redundant.
    >
    >Now whats wrong with that? The MS solution supports all sorts of cost
    >savings for integration and would work out a lot less expensive ...
    >
    >It would appear their is no actual competiton to the MS proposal, so how
    >about coming up with some?
    >
    >BTW: does anyone know where to get good video screens around 7"? I have
    >looked at a few and the quality is AWOL.
    >

    >"Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected by a
    >> Virus..
    >>

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-12WinAuto5PR.mspx

    Is there a site on the web to build one of these systems?

    Bob, Jul 13, 2005
  16. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Getting it to turn off when I shut the car is my main problem... I'm
    > thinking I need something so that it will see the alternator as a sort
    > of UPS, and so when it shuts off, the PC says, hmmm, 2 mins to shut off,
    > and just does it, but I really have no ideas.

    There are many sites with 12v atx power supplies. The good ones will keep the PC
    up down to 7v or so input so the PC wont reboot when you start the motor, and
    will press the ATX power button after you turn the car off to force the PC to
    shut down, and power it off anyway a few mins later if it hasnt.

    http://digitalww.com/ seems to get praise in all the places I have being looking
    for information

    Richard, Jul 13, 2005
  17. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Not alowed in the Front of a Car
    > it will fail the WOF..

    It only has to not operate when the car is moving if its a non-essential display
    for operating the car.

    So the easy solution is to power the touchscreen from the handbrake

    Otherwise just put an ECU monitoring program on it with a few gauges for warrent
    time.

    Richard, Jul 13, 2005
  18. taken from nz.comp Re: Would you drive a Car with this in..?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Well, I am looking at building an XP based system with wifi, lan (bulk
    >> load audio,video etc), video playback, mapping, audio of all flavours,
    >> cd / dvd ripping, remote admin, firewall, internet, email etc. using
    >> probably a 7" LCD screen in the dash with a low heat dissipation cpu
    >> (pentium M on an asus p4p800) raid 1 on 2 x 250 gb HDD's.

    > I'm doing the same with a via epia... however instead of the 7" LCD, I'm
    > going for a 7" touch screen.

    >> If I had the time this could be up and running in a few days with the
    >> big hassle being routing the wiring, hooking in ignition kill, a UPS,
    >> and fitting the small video screen in where the satnav is supposed to be.

    > Getting it to turn off when I shut the car is my main problem... I'm
    > thinking I need something so that it will see the alternator as a sort
    > of UPS, and so when it shuts off, the PC says, "hmmm, 2 mins to shut off",
    > and just does it, but I really have no ideas.

    I just thought that you guys may have some idea on the turn on and off
    thing, basically I want it to turn off or go into standby when the
    ignition gets cut... and back on when the ignition goes on.

    I mean I can do it manually atleast as it is windows, so
    start/shutdown/standby isn't so hard, and mounting a power button on the
    dash for "power on" is easy too.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2005
  19. Tony

    shannon Guest

    Re: taken from nz.comp Re: Would you drive a Car with this in..?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >>> Well, I am looking at building an XP based system with wifi, lan
    >>> (bulk load audio,video etc), video playback, mapping, audio of all
    >>> flavours, cd / dvd ripping, remote admin, firewall, internet, email
    >>> etc. using probably a 7" LCD screen in the dash with a low heat
    >>> dissipation cpu (pentium M on an asus p4p800) raid 1 on 2 x 250 gb
    >>> HDD's.

    >> I'm doing the same with a via epia... however instead of the 7" LCD,
    >> I'm going for a 7" touch screen.

    >>> If I had the time this could be up and running in a few days with the
    >>> big hassle being routing the wiring, hooking in ignition kill, a UPS,
    >>> and fitting the small video screen in where the satnav is supposed to
    >>> be.

    >> Getting it to turn off when I shut the car is my main problem... I'm
    >> thinking I need something so that it will see the alternator as a sort
    >> of UPS, and so when it shuts off, the PC says, "hmmm, 2 mins to shut
    >> off", and just does it, but I really have no ideas.

    > I just thought that you guys may have some idea on the turn on and off
    > thing, basically I want it to turn off or go into standby when the
    > ignition gets cut... and back on when the ignition goes on.
    >
    > I mean I can do it manually atleast as it is windows, so
    > start/shutdown/standby isn't so hard, and mounting a power button on the
    > dash for "power on" is easy too.

    Perhaps you could run the PC off the unswitched battery supply and use a
    relay off the ignition switch to switch the PC to standby, then set the
    PC power management to power down after x seconds on standby. Use the
    car like a UPS.

    shannon, Jul 13, 2005
  20. Re: taken from nz.comp Re: Would you drive a Car with this in..?

    shannon wrote:

    >>> Getting it to turn off when I shut the car is my main problem... I'm
    >>> thinking I need something so that it will see the alternator as a
    >>> sort of UPS, and so when it shuts off, the PC says, "hmmm, 2 mins to
    >>> shut off", and just does it, but I really have no ideas.

    >> I just thought that you guys may have some idea on the turn on and off
    >> thing, basically I want it to turn off or go into standby when the
    >> ignition gets cut... and back on when the ignition goes on.
    >> I mean I can do it manually atleast as it is windows, so
    >> start/shutdown/standby isn't so hard, and mounting a power button on
    >> the dash for "power on" is easy too.

    > Perhaps you could run the PC off the unswitched battery supply and use a
    > relay off the ignition switch to switch the PC to standby, then set the
    > PC power management to power down after x seconds on standby. Use the
    > car like a UPS.

    thats the idea, but no idea on where to start on that.
    I have a few friends in the auto-electrician type business, so might ask
    them for some input too.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2005