Would You Consider--Canon EOS D30 or D60

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. I already have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and 5700. I haven't had both long enough
    to know which one I like better, though I'd probably go with the 5700 with
    its longish zoom, LCD panel, and EVF. I have to own 2 because my wife lately
    hogs the 5700 camera when I'm trying to use it, and a cheap P & S wouldn't
    work because she kept insisting "what if I want to blow it up?" (Hence the
    5400.) Like she's going to blow up an 8x10 of our cat with the
    grease-stained walls in the background and harsh lighting from the built-in
    or pop-up flash, but oh well.

    I do prefer Nikon models, I'm a "Nikonian" as it were and would get the D100
    if it were going this cheap, but it still continues to go for a
    grand--surprising, given the D70's excellence and low-price. That said, I
    recenly liquidated my entire 35mm stock (an N80, 2 lenses, a flash) so I'm
    starting "bare" regardless; the only "legacy" Nikon equipment I have is a
    Sunpak 433AF dedicated flash which works with the 5400/5700, and I paid all
    of 30 bucks for it in great condition.

    Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our local
    paper, $450 for the body. I seem to be finding them that cheap a lot of
    places, too. I realize they are a 3.3 megapixel model (if I recall) whereas
    even the Rebel and the D70 are 6 megapixels, but I hear different things
    about how actually the photos from even a D30 would look better than from a
    5400/5700 despite the 5400/5700 being a 5-megapixel. True? (One guy says he
    owns a Sony DSC-F717 and finds his D30--yes--D30--blows up better.)

    Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about $550
    or $600. Would you guys consider one at that price, given the $800 Digital
    Rebel and $900 D-70? I do realize the D30 or D60 wouldn't be as quickly
    reflexive as any new model, but I'd imagine they'd still blow away my 5400
    or 5700 in shot-to-shot speed. Would they?

    Also, how good would they do in low-light? I took this shot (link below)
    with my 5700, it's a 23-second exposure and nothing was done in terms of
    noise-reduction besides what the camera itself did. Would the D30 or D60 do
    that well in low-light? I remember Pop Photo (yeah, I know, not that
    creditable a source) saying the Nikon D100 did MUCH better than the D60 in
    low-light, and I seem to recall them not caring much for the D30's low-light
    capabilities either. On the other hand, Dpreview.com seemed to find them
    just fine. Your opinions.

    Your opinions? Tips?

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    GT40 Guest

    I would take a D60 over a digital rebel anytime. In fact I'd take a
    D30 over a digital rebel.

    GT40, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Why is that? Doesn't the D30 have 3.3 megapixels vs 6.2? (And that's not an
    apples/oranges comparision, they're both D-SLRs.) And wouldn't it have
    longer shot-to-shot or RAW-saving times?

    Just curious.

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 15, 2004
  4. Larry R Harrison Jr

    GT40 Guest

    MegaPixels aren't everything. The main reason is AI SERVO AF on the
    digital rebel is only avilable in the sports mode, and in no other
    (from reading this newsgroup). I bought a D2000, which is 2MP and
    have sold commecialy with it.

    GT40, Oct 15, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Skip M Guest

    Just the point that only certain metering modes are available in certain
    operating modes (?) like Av, Tv and M is the biggest reason I wouldn't
    consider the DRebel. My D30, while slower all around, and 1/2 the res, in
    my opinion, outperformed the DRebel in the other things that were important
    to me. I don't like conceding control to the camera, and, by extension, to
    the camera designer.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Oct 15, 2004
  6. Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our local
    > paper, $450 for the body..........
    >
    > Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about $550
    > or $600..........

    Buying a used body is an excellent way to break into the DSLR world.
    When (and if) you decide to upgrade, you'll recover a good portion of
    your initial investment.

    Between a D30 at $450 and a D60 at $550, go for the D60. However, you
    might find a deal like I did: D30+BGED3 for $450 (I then sold the BG-ED3
    for $160 on ebay 'cause I already had one for my 10D)

    -Dave
    Dave Herzstein, Oct 15, 2004
  7. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Robert Barr Guest

    Dave Herzstein wrote:

    > Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    >
    >>[snip]
    >>Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our local
    >>paper, $450 for the body..........
    >>
    >>Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about $550
    >>or $600..........

    > Buying a used body is an excellent way to break into the DSLR world.
    > When (and if) you decide to upgrade, you'll recover a good portion of
    > your initial investment.

    Damn. This'll be about the 9th time I've changed my mind on which DSLR
    to aim for, and it's all your fault.

    > Between a D30 at $450 and a D60 at $550, go for the D60. However, you
    > might find a deal like I did: D30+BGED3 for $450 (I then sold the BG-ED3
    > for $160 on ebay 'cause I already had one for my 10D)

    I've read up on all of them. What difference in autofocus performance
    can I expect between a D60 and a (film, of course) Elan 7? What I'd
    like to have is a digital Elan 7. That's simple enough. 2,354 feature
    charts later, I'm still not sure what I want to do.

    I love the Elan's viewfinder and the illuminating focus spot(s), as well
    as its focus speed relative to my old film Rebel. Plus its quietness.
    Not that it's the ultimate film body, but I'm definitely spoiled now.

    What would you say are the primary advantages of a D60 -- nice used --
    over a new Digital Rebel kit? (Already have a basic set of lenses).
    Top 3 features that would affect YOUR decision? The Rebel now has a
    $100 rebate out there, which helps level the field.

    Robert Barr, Oct 15, 2004
  8. Larry R Harrison Jr

    GT40 Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:17:55 GMT, Robert Barr
    <> wrote:

    >I've read up on all of them. What difference in autofocus performance
    >can I expect between a D60 and a (film, of course) Elan 7? What I'd
    >like to have is a digital Elan 7. That's simple enough. 2,354 feature
    >charts later, I'm still not sure what I want to do.

    Then you need the 20D :)

    >I love the Elan's viewfinder and the illuminating focus spot(s), as well
    >as its focus speed relative to my old film Rebel. Plus its quietness.
    >Not that it's the ultimate film body, but I'm definitely spoiled now.
    >
    >What would you say are the primary advantages of a D60 -- nice used --
    >over a new Digital Rebel kit? (Already have a basic set of lenses).
    >Top 3 features that would affect YOUR decision? The Rebel now has a
    >$100 rebate out there, which helps level the field.

    The D60 can use predictive focus in all modes, the digital rebel only
    in sports mode.
    GT40, Oct 15, 2004
  9. Robert Barr wrote:
    > What would you say are the primary advantages of a D60 -- nice used --
    > over a new Digital Rebel kit? (Already have a basic set of lenses).
    > Top 3 features that would affect YOUR decision? The Rebel now has a
    > $100 rebate out there, which helps level the field.

    AF mode (AI Servo/One-shot) control:
    DR: depends on mode dial
    D60: can be set independently from mode dial

    AF control:
    DR: shutter button pressed half-way
    D60: can be programmed to the "*" button (very important to me)

    External flash connection:
    DR: hot shoe only
    D60: hot shoe and PC-cord connection

    Custom functions:
    DR: none
    D60: plenty

    Remote control:
    DR: RS60-E3 (wired), RC-1 and RC-5 (wireless), USB/software
    D60: RS80-N3 and TC80-N3 (wired), USB/software
    * the TC80-N3 can do intervals, timer and delay (1 sec - 99 hrs)

    Autofocus performance:
    DR: as good as the 10D
    D60: worse than the 10D

    -Dave
    Dave Herzstein, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Robert Barr Guest

    Dave Herzstein wrote:

    > AF mode (AI Servo/One-shot) control:
    > DR: depends on mode dial
    > D60: can be set independently from mode dial
    >
    > AF control:
    > DR: shutter button pressed half-way
    > D60: can be programmed to the "*" button (very important to me)
    >
    > External flash connection:
    > DR: hot shoe only
    > D60: hot shoe and PC-cord connection
    >
    > Custom functions:
    > DR: none
    > D60: plenty
    >
    > Remote control:
    > DR: RS60-E3 (wired), RC-1 and RC-5 (wireless), USB/software
    > D60: RS80-N3 and TC80-N3 (wired), USB/software
    > * the TC80-N3 can do intervals, timer and delay (1 sec - 99 hrs)
    >
    > Autofocus performance:
    > DR: as good as the 10D
    > D60: worse than the 10D
    >
    > -Dave

    Well, I guess I'll find out firsthand now. Bought a D60 the other day...
    Robert Barr, Oct 18, 2004
  11. Robert Barr wrote:
    > Well, I guess I'll find out firsthand now. Bought a D60 the other day...

    How much did you pay for it?
    -
    Dave
    Dave Herzstein, Oct 22, 2004
  12. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Robert Barr Guest

    $612 + shipping ($10). Nice shape -- with the usual. Box, CF card, etc.

    Robert Barr, Oct 22, 2004