Would you buy a P&S because Ashton Kutcher says you should?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, May 24, 2010.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich, May 24, 2010

  2. Rich

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Re: Would you buy a SLR because Rich says you should?

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Then you are an idiot.

    Just so.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, May 24, 2010

  3. Rich

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > Then you are an idiot.

    I am not sure I would buy anything just because a celebrity says I
    should. maybe if they personally owned one and just happened to be
    passing and under questioning say "Its' the best blah blah, have a
    try." otherwise it's an advert and I don't believe most adverts.

    --
    Paul (we break easy)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, May 24, 2010
  4. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:08:00 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    wrote:

    >Would you buy a P&S because Ashton Kutcher says you should?
    >
    >Then you are an idiot.
    >
    >http://www.nikoncircular.com/

    Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
    Kutcher to get involved?

    http://www.ashtonscoolpix.com/

    Hopefully, most people here will see past the hype. But the hype
    doesn't mean he is advertising bad cameras. It's just marketing.

    Bruce, May 24, 2010
  5. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, May 24, 2010
  6. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:41:36 +0200, Mxsmanic <>
    wrote:
    >Bruce writes:
    >> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
    >> Kutcher to get involved?

    >Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help sell
    >cameras?

    You seem to be stating the obvious.

    >Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?

    Not knowingly. But I might have.

    Bruce, May 24, 2010
  7. Rich

    Pete Guest

    On 2010-05-24 11:19:44 +0100, Bruce said:

    > On Mon, 24 May 2010 08:11:32 +0200, Mxsmanic <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Who is Ashton Kutcher?

    > Actor and husband of actress Demi Moore.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Kutcher

    I haven't met Demi Moore, she seems quite photogenic ;-)

    --
    Pete

    Pete, May 24, 2010
  8. Bruce wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:41:36 +0200, Mxsmanic <>
    > wrote:
    >> Bruce writes:
    >>> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
    >>> Kutcher to get involved?

    >> Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help sell
    >> cameras?

    > You seem to be stating the obvious.

    Except it is correct to believe that celebrity involvement in ads sells
    cameras, cars, expensive wines as well as booze, scents, computers,
    whatever.

    >> Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?

    > Not knowingly. But I might have.

    We all may have. But few because of it- that is, few if any in this NG.
    A few in spite of 'endorsement'.

    Finally, the one ad I've seen just shows Kutcher using one- an implied
    endorsement? - but most see ads for what they are- attention catching,
    re-embedding the logo, and sometimes providing useful info.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, May 24, 2010
  9. Rich

    Bowser Guest

    "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message
    > Bruce writes:
    >
    >> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
    >> Kutcher to get involved?

    > Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help
    > sell
    > cameras?
    >
    > Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?

    Not since my utter disappointment in the John C Holmes signature series
    condoms.

    Bowser, May 24, 2010
  10. Rich

    Bowser Guest

    "Kyle Abhams" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:08:00 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Then you are an idiot.
    >>

    > 27. Even the latest DSLR from Canon, the D7, can't beat the image quality
    > from their earlier G9 and G11 P&S cameras.

    I'm surprised to see you're still polluting the NGs with your drivel. Now
    where's the Canon D7? Must be around here somewhere...

    Seriously, this is some funny, funny shit. Emphasis on the word "shit."

    Bowser, May 24, 2010
  11. Rich

    whisky-dave Guest

    "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message
    > Bruce writes:
    >
    >> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
    >> Kutcher to get involved?

    > Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help
    > sell
    > cameras?

    They help sell most products, why not cameras ?

    > Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?

    I probably have, but not purely because of a celebrity endorsement.

    the only Photographer I remember endorsing cameras was
    David Bailey and I think the block from minder plugging
    the Olympus Trip, never brought one myself but they seemed quite successful.
    I wonder what camera reviews of the time though about this endorsement.

    whisky-dave, May 24, 2010
  12. whisky-dave wrote:
    > "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message
    >> Bruce writes:
    >>
    >>> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
    >>> Kutcher to get involved?

    >> Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help
    >> sell
    >> cameras?

    > They help sell most products, why not cameras ?
    >

    >> Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?

    > I probably have, but not purely because of a celebrity endorsement.
    >
    > the only Photographer I remember endorsing cameras was
    > David Bailey and I think the block from minder plugging
    > the Olympus Trip, never brought one myself but they seemed quite successful.
    > I wonder what camera reviews of the time though about this endorsement.

    Just to be clear, a top photographer is only infrequently a "celebrity",
    and then only in recherché circles.

    OMG, I mean, Britney S, was, maybe still is, a celebrity. Kids who win
    at talent shows instantly become celebrities as it's used these days.
    Being one means diddly-squat.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, May 24, 2010
  13. Rich

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:08:00 -0700, Rich wrote:

    > Then you are an idiot.
    >
    > http://www.nikoncircular.com/

    Not familiar with the gentleman - is he a camera expert?

    ray, May 24, 2010
  14. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:59:37 +0100, Pete
    <> wrote:
    >On 2010-05-24 11:19:44 +0100, Bruce said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 24 May 2010 08:11:32 +0200, Mxsmanic <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Who is Ashton Kutcher?

    >> Actor and husband of actress Demi Moore.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Kutcher

    >I haven't met Demi Moore, she seems quite photogenic ;-)

    I think you will find that she has been heavily "Photoshopped" ...

    .... with the aid of a surgeon's knife.

    Bruce, May 24, 2010
  15. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:32:30 +0100, "whisky-dave"
    <> wrote:

    >the only Photographer I remember endorsing cameras was
    >David Bailey and I think the block from minder plugging
    >the Olympus Trip, never brought one myself but they seemed quite successful.
    >I wonder what camera reviews of the time though about this endorsement.

    Ironically, while David Bailey endorsed the Olympus Trip, the Olympus
    OM Series, The Olympus E-10 and E-20 and eventually the E-System DSLRs
    over a period of 35 years, he has never, I repeat *never* used Olympus
    cameras in his work.

    Bailey has always used medium format film SLRs and I believe that he
    still does.

    Bruce, May 24, 2010
  16. Rich

    Pete Guest

    On 2010-05-24 18:22:42 +0100, Bruce said:

    > On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:59:37 +0100, Pete
    > <> wrote:
    >> On 2010-05-24 11:19:44 +0100, Bruce said:

    >>> Actor and husband of actress Demi Moore.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Kutcher

    >> I haven't met Demi Moore, she seems quite photogenic ;-)

    > I think you will find that she has been heavily "Photoshopped" ...
    >
    > ... with the aid of a surgeon's knife.

    The last time I'd saved up enough to take her out for dinner I bought a
    new lens. So far, I'm streets ahead of Ashton in terms of "Bang for the
    Buck".

    --
    Pete

    Pete, May 24, 2010
  17. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:04:44 +0100, Pete
    <> wrote:
    >On 2010-05-24 18:22:42 +0100, Bruce said:
    >>
    >> I think you will find that she has been heavily "Photoshopped" ...
    >>
    >> ... with the aid of a surgeon's knife.

    >The last time I'd saved up enough to take her out for dinner I bought a
    >new lens. So far, I'm streets ahead of Ashton in terms of "Bang for the
    >Buck".

    I feel sure she costs Aston nothing. After all, he is surely the
    young eye candy for the fading star. ;-)

    Bruce, May 24, 2010
  18. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:39:40 +0200, Mxsmanic <>
    wrote:

    >whisky-dave writes:
    >
    >> They help sell most products, why not cameras ?

    >But do they? It's extremely hard to measure the effect of advertising, and
    >while companies and advertisers often take for granted that celebrity
    >endorsements work, I'm not at all convinced that they actually do.

    Who cares whether you are convinced or not? It's a numbers game.

    Some people will be convinced, others won't. The whole point is to
    increase sales that generate more in profit than the cost of employing
    the celebrity. Whether one individual is convinced, or not, doesn't
    matter a jot.

    Especially when that individual is known to be an anti-social recluse.

    Bruce, May 24, 2010
  19. "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Can you remember the last Web page you looked at? Can you remember any
    > of the
    > _advertising_ on the last Web page you looked at?

    "Image blocked by Ad Block Plus" - or words to that effect....

    David

    David J Taylor, May 25, 2010
  20. Rich

    whisky-dave Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    whisky-dave wrote:
    > "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message
    >> Bruce writes:
    >>
    >>> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
    >>> Kutcher to get involved?

    >> Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help
    >> sell
    >> cameras?

    > They help sell most products, why not cameras ?
    >

    >> Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?

    > I probably have, but not purely because of a celebrity endorsement.
    >
    > the only Photographer I remember endorsing cameras was
    > David Bailey and I think the block from minder plugging
    > the Olympus Trip, never brought one myself but they seemed quite
    > successful.
    > I wonder what camera reviews of the time though about this endorsement.

    }Just to be clear, a top photographer is only infrequently a "celebrity",
    }and then only in recherché circles.

    That's why celebs are chosen over top photographers when selling[1] to the
    public.

    }OMG, I mean, Britney S, was, maybe still is, a celebrity. Kids who win
    }at talent shows instantly become celebrities as it's used these days.
    }Being one means diddly-squat.

    It means evrything to them and those that watch/follow and aspire to be like
    them.
    if you want to sell a product advertising can be one of the most important
    things in a mass market consumer economy.

    [1] usually includes conning them out of their cash

    whisky-dave, May 25, 2010