    My wife saw this item in the Washington Post on Sunday, December 11th 2005. I found it at www.thinkgeek.com, and thought you guys might be interested in adding a cassette deck to your PC. I have lots of old cassette tapes, but they are mostly ones I recoreded from LPs that I had from the 1970's and 1980's before switching over to CDs. I'm not sure it's worth trying to play them on my computer, with all the recorded pops and clicks that you used to get from LPs.

    :horse:

    [​IMG]

    bigal, Jan 2, 2006

  2. bigal

    Technoholic

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    185
    It could be worth it. I've been looking for one like that to record some of my favorites from the The Sound of 80s, Greatest Hits of 80's, and those kind of tapes, that I couldn't find anywhere..

    Technoholic, Jan 2, 2006

  3. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    As I posted before but it didn't work for some reason, Cool Edit Pro will get rid of most of the pops and clicks, I think it's been bought out and renamed though. Adobe Audition is the new name for it.

    XhArD, Jan 2, 2006
  4. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I remember reading...

    ...where someone suggested they might come out with a reel-to-reel player for our computers. That's like going full circle back in time. My dad used to have a reel-to-reel tape player in a high-fi cabinet he built himself in the early 1960's. :joyman:

    bigal, Jan 2, 2006
  5. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    I think www.amdboard.com did a review on the plus deck! :)

    good idea though not that i have tapes to move over. :p

    unholy, Jan 2, 2006
  6. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Al, I thought you were older than that. *I* Have a r2r for heaven's sake. And they have a lot over casettes for quality. But this isn't a bad idea. Think about how easy this would make it to convert your old tapes to CD's? I never liked casettes though, I liked vinyl, when will they put out a turntable for the PC?

    The Modfather, Jan 2, 2006
  7. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Location:
    Wisconsin

    Didn't i talk to you about this same deck a few months back?

    Silverstrand, Jan 2, 2006
  8. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    pass the tape please..

    Did you? I don't remember seeing it before.

    Modfather - I'm in my mid-forties. I didn't own a reel-to-reel. That was on it's way out when I was growing up in the 1960's. I remember the first 8-track tape decks though. My dad got an 8-track player in his1970 Cougar XR7.

    bigal, Jan 2, 2006
  9. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Al, sorry to confuse you, but I was talking to Nathan about it over msn one night. I didn't mean talking to you about it.

    Silverstrand, Jan 3, 2006
  10. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No problem...

    ...I thought you meant talking in the forums. I don't run the messenger stuff, as I don't have time for that kind of thing.:heeeelll:

    bigal, Jan 3, 2006
  11. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    dont ask me to recall, memories.
    i cant even remember what movie i was watching 1 hour ago....
    i think it was something like high on fibre or sumthing.

    I do recall something about the deck, i think u might have told me something but i dont remember :|

    unholy, Jan 3, 2006
  12. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    High on Fibre? Don't you mean High Octane: Overboost?

    XhArD, Jan 3, 2006
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    thats the one, i told u i cant remember a thing :p

    unholy, Jan 3, 2006
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Al,

    You're a little older than I am (I'll be 41 next Monday) and I have a R2R now and have had one since I can remember. Though I haven't used it in ages. My friend's father had one in his stereo system and we'd use that from time to time and my pop was in the audio business, he had 'em all over the place. I'm surprised you never messed with one, they're a bit better than cassettes of course. :) But not as convenient and certanily not portible. :)

    As for the ol' 8-tracks, ugh! Man those were a pain. I still expect to hear a pause and a click in the middle of certain songs from back when I used to have them on 8-track and they'd just switch tracks in the middle of a song. Espescially Queen's Live Killers. :) Or a few Aerosmith albums... I still stop air guitaring because I expect that pause.

    The Modfather, Jan 3, 2006
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh oh....

    ....what are we going to do about the birthday boy? Wait a minute. My birthday comes up on the 27th this month. That's interesting. It proves my theory that great minds were made in January.:2in1:

    bigal, Jan 3, 2006
  16. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Hmm, I've always taken that as a given of course. :)

    I'm hopin' for a PS2 and a G7 mouse, but I'll be happy with, er, socks or something. :)

    The Modfather, Jan 3, 2006
  17. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    hmmm, i will see what i can do :) (might be able to get ya 50 or sumthing through paypal :) )

    hehe ps i am born on the 27th of june does that count :)

    unholy, Jan 3, 2006
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Count as what? :) You being a genius? We're not sure yet, you're still in development, we've got to keep feeding you and watering you daily to make sure you grow up just right. :)

    Al, did you check his Ph levels today? He's been making a lot of spelling errors.

    The Modfather, Jan 4, 2006
  19. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I know...

    ...that latest review is full of them. But he tries hard. However, perhaps it's time to...:security:

    bigal, Jan 4, 2006
  20. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Hmmmm... You have a very good point...

    Unholy, bend over so Al can do that to you. :)

    The Modfather, Jan 4, 2006