Would like some help with a practical joke

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill Haverberg, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
    friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
    his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying a
    new one sometime in November.

    Even though we're friends, we're totally opposite when it comes to
    politics, something that is quite evident in his daily blog updates
    (shotinthedark.info) and in my occasional rebuttal comments.

    So ... before I loan the laptop out, I want to rig it to play Green
    Day's "American Idiot" everytime he powers the thing up. I also want
    to make him work at trying to remove it, so if he finds one way to
    disable it, there should still be two or three other, redundant
    invocations that need to be disabled as well. He can take a joke,
    fortunately.

    And, um ... if you tell me how to do this, are you also telling me how
    to install viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware? You might want to
    think about how much you want to tell me before you tell me, since, of
    course, you don't know me from Adam and this isn't really a private
    forum.

    This time the duration is going to last longer than the war
    (Paul Goodman, "The Empire City")
    Bill Haverberg, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Bill Haverberg

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:23:43 -0600, Bill Haverberg <>
    wrote:

    >And, um ... if you tell me how to do this, are you also telling me how
    >to install viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware? You might want to
    >think about how much you want to tell me before you tell me, since, of
    >course, you don't know me from Adam and this isn't really a private
    >forum.

    What the heck's that supposed to mean?
    Evan Platt, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Bill Haverberg

    Vanguard Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:23:43 -0600, Bill Haverberg <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>And, um ... if you tell me how to do this, are you also telling me how
    >>to install viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware? You might want to
    >>think about how much you want to tell me before you tell me, since, of
    >>course, you don't know me from Adam and this isn't really a private
    >>forum.

    > What the heck's that supposed to mean?

    That the idiot is a script kiddie that can't figure out how to do anything
    and needs handholding as a wannabe malcontent.
    Vanguard, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Bill Haverberg

    philo Guest

    "Bill Haverberg" <> wrote in message
    >I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
    > friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
    > his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying a
    > new one sometime in November.
    >
    > Even though we're friends, we're totally opposite when it comes to
    > politics, something that is quite evident in his daily blog updates
    > (shotinthedark.info) and in my occasional rebuttal comments.

    control panel

    sounds

    you can customize to make any action play that music
    philo, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Bill Haverberg

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-18, Bill Haverberg <> wrote:
    > I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
    > friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
    > his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying a
    > new one sometime in November.

    snip

    Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 18, 2006
  6. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 02:18:47 -0600, "Vanguard"
    <> wrote:

    >"Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:23:43 -0600, Bill Haverberg <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>And, um ... if you tell me how to do this, are you also telling me how
    >>>to install viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware? You might want to
    >>>think about how much you want to tell me before you tell me, since, of
    >>>course, you don't know me from Adam and this isn't really a private
    >>>forum.

    >> What the heck's that supposed to mean?

    >That the idiot is a script kiddie that can't figure out how to do anything
    >and needs handholding as a wannabe malcontent.

    Um, no, not really. It's just that reality took hold while I was
    typing that, and I had a sudden dawning in that that kind of knowledge
    was of the very real "two-edged" variety sort of thing.

    I guess the way I expressed that wasn't very artful, however.
    Bill Haverberg, Feb 18, 2006
  7. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:12:15 +0000, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-02-18, Bill Haverberg <> wrote:
    >> I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
    >> friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
    >> his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying a
    >> new one sometime in November.

    >snip
    >
    >Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

    Good question, really, and worth a look.

    Hmm ... let's see, since there's no state requirement for title
    registration or anything like that, the only requirement governing the
    transfer would be the EULA agreement. I know you didn't ask about
    this, but it is always nice to isolate the issue as much as possible
    from externalities before proceeding.

    The languge in the EULA covers ONLY the operating system and any media
    it is on, including backup copies. Since the laptop would have the OS
    installed on it, this transfer would be covered under the EULA as:

    "You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only
    as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
    you retain no copies"

    I'm reading this as I would be required to hand over an install set of
    Windows XP Pro; since I have a spare copy (lost, repurchased, then
    found again) I'd be more than willing to do this to satisfy legal
    requirements. But then, he'd look at me funny and ask why I'm giving
    him the OS disks since he already has a copy...

    Bill Haverberg, Feb 18, 2006
  8. Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2006-02-18, Bill Haverberg <> wrote:
    >> I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
    >> friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
    >> his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying
    >> a new one sometime in November.

    > snip
    >
    > Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

    If he simply gives/lends the computer to the friend, there is no
    licensing issue. The one copy of XP is still just that one copy on the
    same computer.

    Microsoft has no say in who is actually sitting at the keyboard.

    If however, he takes his XP CD and installs it on a second computer - no
    matter where that computer is located - that is a violation of the
    license.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Bill Haverberg

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-18, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> On 2006-02-18, Bill Haverberg <> wrote:
    >>> I was going to offer up my Thinkpad T series (running XP Pro) to a
    >>> friend of mine - give him a chance to testdrive it temporarily since
    >>> his laptop has been in the shop 3 times already and he'll be buying
    >>> a new one sometime in November.

    >> snip
    >>
    >> Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

    > If he simply gives/lends the computer to the friend, there is no
    > licensing issue. The one copy of XP is still just that one copy on the
    > same computer.
    >
    > Microsoft has no say in who is actually sitting at the keyboard.

    Except that the license is issued to the user who clicks on 'I accept' to
    make the PC do anything the first time Windows is run; not to anyone else.
    A 'grey area'.

    In the UK, shops selling used computers either remove the system from the
    HD or include a disclaimer that 'any software found on this equipment is
    not part of the transaction, is not warrented, and no transfer of licence
    is implied', or something similar.

    > If however, he takes his XP CD and installs it on a second computer - no
    > matter where that computer is located - that is a violation of the
    > license.

    Definitely.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 19, 2006
  10. Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2006-02-18, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> snip
    >>>
    >>> Does the Windows EULA permit you to lend your system to a friend?

    >> If he simply gives/lends the computer to the friend, there is no
    >> licensing issue. The one copy of XP is still just that one copy on
    >> the same computer.
    >>
    >> Microsoft has no say in who is actually sitting at the keyboard.

    > Except that the license is issued to the user who clicks on 'I
    > accept' to make the PC do anything the first time Windows is run; not
    > to anyone else. A 'grey area'.

    Yes, you make it sound like one. <g> That would imply that I could not
    invite any other person to sit down in front of my computer [1] and use
    it. "Hey, go ahead and check your email." Doesn't sound like a rational
    point.

    [1 which is more or less what the OP suggested.]

    > In the UK, shops selling used computers either remove the system from
    > the HD or include a disclaimer that 'any software found on this
    > equipment is not part of the transaction, is not warrented, and no
    > transfer of licence is implied', or something similar.

    I'd agree with this. Someone else still has the original installation
    CD.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 19, 2006