    Skype now, so I'm flogging the phone...

    --
    Abo

    Abo, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Abo

    Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:37:13 +0100, Abo <> wrote:

    >If I posted the eBay link to my DualPhone 3088 on here? I'm not using
    >Skype now, so I'm flogging the phone...

    Don't ask just do it there will only be Ivor who will object and he
    just does not matter .

    , Aug 9, 2007

  3. Abo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ivor Jones, Aug 9, 2007
  4. Abo

    Guest

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:59:14 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/usenet-policy.html
    >
    >and the group charter

    Like I have said many times Ivor STUFF YOUR CHARTER it means NOTHING
    anyone can totally ignore the rubbish it contains and you can do
    absolutely nothing about it and neither can anyone else for that
    matter.

    , Aug 9, 2007
  5. Abo

    Jono Guest

    Abo laid this down on his screen :
    > If I posted the eBay link to my DualPhone 3088 on here? I'm not using Skype
    > now, so I'm flogging the phone...

    AFAICT, it would not be acceptible to advertise a specific sale.

    On the other hand, Ivor tells me that you could link to your (ebay)
    shop by way of the url in your signature, presumably as long as you
    don't draw any attention to a specific item or product range in your
    post. (that's assuming it's not against Ebay's policy to do so)

    Also, if I understand correctly, someone who doesn't benefit from an
    advertisement could post details of a sale that they have happened
    across - in the same way that many regulars here point people to
    specific manufacturers, or suppliers.

    Jono, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Abo

    alexd Guest

    Abo wrote:

    > If I posted the eBay link to my DualPhone 3088 on here? I'm not using
    > Skype now, so I'm flogging the phone...

    You could ROT13 the URL, post it, then someone who isn't you could un-rot it
    and post it. However, I really don't think posting a link to it here is
    going to benefit you, as most people in this froup are knowledgeable enough
    to avoid Skype :)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:59:04 up 23 days, 43 min, 3 users, load average: 1.24, 0.72, 0.49

    alexd, Aug 9, 2007
  7. Abo

    Roger Mills Guest

    Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Abo" <> wrote in message
    >>> If I posted the eBay link to my DualPhone 3088 on here?
    >>> I'm not using Skype now, so I'm flogging the phone...

    > Suggest you read eBay's regulations:
    >
    > http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/usenet-policy.html
    >
    > and the group charter
    >
    > http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.telecom.voip.html#uk.telecom.voip
    >

    > Ivor

    What conclusion is he supposed to come to by so doing?

    The Ebay reference says, in effect, not to do anything which violates
    senet - Ebay itself doesn't *care*.

    The charter says that advertising is forbidden but that URLs for appropriate
    commercial sites etc. may appear in signatures. So all the OP needs to do to
    be squeaky clean is to stick the URL of his Ebay sale in his signature.

    Having said that, it is extremely moot whether embedding a URL of an Ebay
    item in the body of a message actually constitutes advertising. I personally
    don't think it does - and I would just do it.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Aug 9, 2007
  8. Abo

    Guest

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:14:14 +0100, "Roger Mills"
    <> wrote:

    >What conclusion is he supposed to come to by so doing?

    Ivor is a nosy busybody who thinks he owns this particular group
    and who just loves to preach on and on about group charters and
    spammers oh I forgot and Sipgate of course and God help anyone who
    disobeys his orders perhaps .

    , Aug 9, 2007
  9. Abo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    : : On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:14:14 +0100, "Roger Mills"
    : : <> wrote:
    : :
    : :
    : : : What conclusion is he supposed to come to by so doing?
    : : Ivor is a nosy busybody who thinks he owns this
    : : particular group and who just loves to preach on and on
    : : about group charters and spammers oh I forgot and
    : : Sipgate of course and God help anyone who disobeys his
    : : orders perhaps .

    Give it up Ron, nobody here takes any notice of you any more.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 10, 2007
  10. Abo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    : : On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:59:14 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    : : <> wrote:
    : :
    : :
    : : : http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/usenet-policy.html
    : : :
    : : : and the group charter
    : :
    : : Like I have said many times Ivor STUFF YOUR CHARTER it
    : : means NOTHING anyone can totally ignore the rubbish it
    : : contains and you can do absolutely nothing about it and
    : : neither can anyone else for that matter.

    Yes Ron. Anything you say Ron. Go away Ron.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 10, 2007
  11. Abo

    sean Guest

    >>What conclusion is he supposed to come to by so doing?
    > Ivor is a nosy busybody who thinks he owns this particular group
    > and who just loves to preach on and on about group charters and
    > spammers oh I forgot and Sipgate of course and God help anyone who
    > disobeys his orders perhaps .

    Here here. If you hang around here long enough (an hour should do it) you
    will come to know that Ivor is just an annoying busybody who constantly
    sticks his oar in where it isn't welcome. Just ignore him.

    sean, Aug 10, 2007
  12. Abo

    Abo Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Abo" <> wrote in message
    > news:f9f8qc$d6q$ : : If I posted the eBay link to my
    > DualPhone 3088 on here?
    > : : I'm not using Skype now, so I'm flogging the phone...
    >
    > Suggest you read eBay's regulations:
    >
    > http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/usenet-policy.html
    >
    > and the group charter
    >
    > http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.telecom.voip.html#uk.telecom.voip
    >

    > Ivor

    Ok, but I guess there'd be nothing against me saying 'my Dualphone 3088
    is currently up on eBay' without posing a link, as interested parties
    could search for 'Dualphone' on eBay and find the only second hand one.

    --
    Abo

    Abo, Aug 11, 2007
  13. Abo

    Abo Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > Abo wrote:
    >
    >> If I posted the eBay link to my DualPhone 3088 on here? I'm not using
    >> Skype now, so I'm flogging the phone...

    > You could ROT13 the URL, post it, then someone who isn't you could un-rot it
    > and post it. However, I really don't think posting a link to it here is
    > going to benefit you, as most people in this froup are knowledgeable enough
    > to avoid Skype :)

    Lol there is that

    --
    Abo

    Abo, Aug 11, 2007
  14. Abo

    Henry Hooray Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:59:14 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/usenet-policy.html
    >>
    >>and the group charter

    > Like I have said many times Ivor STUFF YOUR CHARTER it means NOTHING
    > anyone can totally ignore the rubbish it contains and you can do
    > absolutely nothing about it and neither can anyone else for that
    > matter.

    Ron, are you in favour of total freedom without any responsibility? Just
    thought I'd ask.

    Henry.

    Henry Hooray, Aug 11, 2007
  15. "Abo" <> wrote in message

    > Ok, but I guess there'd be nothing against me saying 'my ********* is
    > currently up on eBay' without posing a link, as interested parties
    > could search for ******* on eBay and find the only second hand one.

    It has now become an advert, which is against the charter of this group,
    and in contravention of eBays t&c's. If reported to eBay, this could
    result in the auction being withdrawn by eBay, along with a loss of fees
    paid, and possible suspension of your eBay account.

    Ebay UseNet Policy
    eBay members may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups)
    to advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates
    the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported to eBay, we may
    among other remedies) remove the listing, issue a warning, temporarily
    suspend or indefinitely suspend the offender's eBay account.

    We have no tolerance for UseNet abuse and will take action as
    appropriate. Please note that we can only take action in cases where it
    is clear that an eBay member has posted to the Usenet inappropriately.

    Usenet abuse should also be reported to your ISP (Internet Service
    Provider) and the email provider of the person posting on the Usenet.
    Both of these organizations are in a much better position to prevent
    future Usenet abuse.

    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/usenet_policy.html

    Harry Stottle, Aug 11, 2007
  16. Abo

    Abo Guest

    Harry Stottle wrote:
    > "Abo" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, but I guess there'd be nothing against me saying 'my ********* is
    >> currently up on eBay' without posing a link, as interested parties
    >> could search for ******* on eBay and find the only second hand one.
    >>

    > It has now become an advert

    Sorry but the statement is merely adding to the discussion. It is not an
    advert. I guess an appropriate resonse from you would be 'no, it is not
    acceptable for you to suggest people do a search on eBay for your
    phone'. The phone might not even be up on ebay yet.

    --
    Abo

    Abo, Aug 12, 2007
  17. "Abo" <> wrote in message
    > Harry Stottle wrote:
    >> "Abo" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ok, but I guess there'd be nothing against me saying 'my *********
    >>> is currently up on eBay' without posing a link, as interested
    >>> parties could search for ******* on eBay and find the only second
    >>> hand one.
    >>>

    >> It has now become an advert

    > Sorry but the statement is merely adding to the discussion. It is not
    > an advert. I guess an appropriate resonse from you would be 'no, it is
    > not acceptable for you to suggest people do a search on eBay for your
    > phone'. The phone might not even be up on ebay yet.

    Typical spammer, prepared to argue that black is white, but not prepared
    to accept any advice, or criticism of their inappropriate behaviour. It
    was an advert for an eBay item, and as you clearly stated that it was
    "currently up on eBay", and if someone searched for it on eBay, it was
    "the only second hand one", so obviously, the phone would have been on
    eBay when you made that statement.

    Harry Stottle, Aug 13, 2007
  18. sean wrote:
    >>> What conclusion is he supposed to come to by so doing?

    >> Ivor is a nosy busybody who thinks he owns this particular group
    >> and who just loves to preach on and on about group charters and
    >> spammers oh I forgot and Sipgate of course and God help anyone who
    >> disobeys his orders perhaps .

    > Here here. If you hang around here long enough (an hour should do
    > it) you will come to know that Ivor is just an annoying busybody who
    > constantly sticks his oar in where it isn't welcome. Just ignore him.

    Come on, you know that isn't true.

    --
    Items for sale: http://www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MetricNow

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 13, 2007
  19. Abo

    Roger Mills Guest

    Harry Stottle <> wrote:

    >> Sorry but the statement is merely adding to the discussion. It is not
    >> an advert. I guess an appropriate resonse from you would be 'no, it
    >> is not acceptable for you to suggest people do a search on eBay for
    >> your phone'. The phone might not even be up on ebay yet.
    >>

    > Typical spammer, prepared to argue that black is white, but not
    > prepared to accept any advice, or criticism of their inappropriate
    > behaviour. It was an advert for an eBay item, and as you clearly
    > stated that it was "currently up on eBay", and if someone searched
    > for it on eBay, it was "the only second hand one", so obviously, the
    > phone would have been on eBay when you made that statement.

    So how do you define 'advert'? I would expect an advert to include a
    description of the product, a price, and contact details of the seller.

    In that case, posting an indication here that such an advert exists on
    Ebay - even including the Ebay URL - doesn't in my view constitute an advert
    per se - since you have to follow the link to get to the *actual* advert. In
    what way is it any different from putting commercial URLs in your
    signature - which people are free to follow if they wish, but can equally
    choose not to?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Aug 13, 2007
  20. "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Harry Stottle <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Sorry but the statement is merely adding to the discussion. It is
    >>> not
    >>> an advert. I guess an appropriate resonse from you would be 'no, it
    >>> is not acceptable for you to suggest people do a search on eBay for
    >>> your phone'. The phone might not even be up on ebay yet.
    >>>

    >> Typical spammer, prepared to argue that black is white, but not
    >> prepared to accept any advice, or criticism of their inappropriate
    >> behaviour. It was an advert for an eBay item, and as you clearly
    >> stated that it was "currently up on eBay", and if someone searched
    >> for it on eBay, it was "the only second hand one", so obviously, the
    >> phone would have been on eBay when you made that statement.

    > So how do you define 'advert'? I would expect an advert to include a
    > description of the product, a price, and contact details of the
    > seller.

    As Roger Mills and Abo appear to be the same person, I refer you to the
    paragraph above your latest comment, I am certainly not going to argue
    with the same person using different identities.

    You have previously asked for, and received, some very detailed advice
    from members of this group when you have posted under the name of Roger
    Mills, but now you want to treat those same members with contempt by not
    accepting the group's charter, and also try and deceive them by
    pretending to be someone else whilst advertising in the group.

    Harry Stottle, Aug 13, 2007