    I've researched this printer, but I am very interested in any and all
    comments from those in the knowledge.

    Thanks....Chuck.
    Faz, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Faz

    Tim S. Guest

    Faz wrote:
    > I've researched this printer, but I am very interested in any and all
    > comments from those in the knowledge.
    >
    > Thanks....Chuck.

    I have the R1800 and like it very much. You might have better luck
    asking in > comp.periphs.printers

    Tim
    Tim S., Dec 19, 2006

  3. Faz

    bmoag Guest

    The Epson 800/1800 are excellent, very accurate color photoprinters if used
    properly with color management. The pigment based colors are brighter/more
    vibrant compared to a high quality dye based printer like the 1280. Epsons
    are prone to clogging but this is easy to minimize/avoid. I personally
    prefer Epson printers because Epson manufactures a wide variety of paper
    surfaces and has good canned profiles for their papers.
    bmoag, Dec 19, 2006
  4. "bmoag" <> wrote:
    > The Epson 800/1800 are excellent, very accurate color photoprinters if
    > used properly with color management. The pigment based colors are
    > brighter/more vibrant compared to a high quality dye based printer like
    > the 1280. Epsons are prone to clogging but this is easy to minimize/avoid.
    > I personally prefer Epson printers because Epson manufactures a wide
    > variety of paper surfaces and has good canned profiles for their papers.

    Exactly. In addition, these printers can put a _lot_ of detail on the paper
    if you use glossy paper. And they do amazingly well with B&W, despite not
    having gray ink(s).

    FWIW, the paper Epson calls "Crispia" in Japan is really really nice with
    the R800.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Dec 19, 2006
  5. On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:42:07 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Faz"
    <> wrote:

    >I've researched this printer, but I am very interested in any and all
    >comments from those in the knowledge.
    >
    >Thanks....Chuck.

    Then why did you post the exact same message in comp.periphs.printers,
    substituting 1280 for R800?
    ++++++++++++++++++
    I've researched this printer, but I am very interested in any and all
    comments from those in the knowledge.

    Thanks....Chuck.

    +++++++++++++++++++++
    Smells like a troll to me.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 19, 2006
  6. Faz

    Roy G Guest

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:42:07 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Faz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've researched this printer, but I am very interested in any and all
    >>comments from those in the knowledge.
    >>
    >>Thanks....Chuck.
    >>

    > Then why did you post the exact same message in comp.periphs.printers,
    > substituting 1280 for R800?
    > ++++++++++++++++++
    > I've researched this printer, but I am very interested in any and all
    > comments from those in the knowledge.
    >
    > Thanks....Chuck.
    >
    > +++++++++++++++++++++
    > Smells like a troll to me.
    > --
    > Ed Ruf ()
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    OR,

    He could just be very thick.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Dec 19, 2006
  7. Faz

    Faz Guest

    To Ed Ruf.....Now I have been told countless of times not to reply to people
    who enjoy putting you down, but I will. I like to find out any and all
    information about a product before I buy. The fact that I sent posts both to
    comp.periphs.printers as well as the digital camera post makes me want to
    gather as much info as possible. I presumed that people who use cameras
    would have some intelligent and helpful answers. So Ed, if you get off by
    putting people down because they want to learn, then good for you. Hope you
    and your family have a great Holiday Season. I did get some great answers
    from those who care.

    Chuck.

    Faz, Dec 19, 2006
  8. Faz wrote:
    > To Ed Ruf.....Now I have been told countless of times not to reply to people
    > who enjoy putting you down, but I will. I like to find out any and all
    > information about a product before I buy. The fact that I sent posts both to
    > comp.periphs.printers as well as the digital camera post makes me want to
    > gather as much info as possible. I presumed that people who use cameras
    > would have some intelligent and helpful answers. So Ed, if you get off by
    > putting people down because they want to learn, then good for you. Hope you
    > and your family have a great Holiday Season. I did get some great answers
    > from those who care.

    Probably you could have cross posted to both groups questions about both
    printers.

    In any event, no harm no foul, by you or Ed. I'd mention the joys of
    posts following the flow of normal NG's by asking you trim and put your
    reply following the text of the post you're replying to, but please
    don't take offense at this suggestion.
    --
    john mcwilliams

    Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
    Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."
    John McWilliams, Dec 19, 2006
  9. Faz

    Zoidberg Guest

    Faz wrote:
    > I've researched this printer, but I am very interested in any and all
    > comments from those in the knowledge.
    >
    > Thanks....Chuck.

    Hi Chuck,

    I own the R800 and I bought it right after it came out. I have printed
    over 500 8.5 x11's and over 1,000 other size photos and I love it. I
    have never had any problems with it, no clogging, nothing but I always
    use Epson paper and ink cartridges. I buy my cartidges from atlex.com
    and they are a little less then any local stores.

    If you buy it you'll love it especially if you do glossy prints but I
    also use matte and satin finish papers. I do mostly use Epson paper but
    I recently bought Ilford and it also did good.

    Nobby
    Zoidberg, Dec 19, 2006
  10. Faz

    Zoidberg Guest

    Zoidberg, Dec 19, 2006
  11. On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:42:07 -0800, Faz wrote
    (in article <jcJhh.505696$R63.29457@pd7urf1no>):

    > I've researched this printer, but I am very interested in any and all
    > comments from those in the knowledge.
    >
    > Thanks....Chuck.

    I like mine a lot. Ink is expensive.
    Christopher Campbell, Dec 19, 2006
  12. On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:25:21 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Faz"
    <> wrote:

    >To Ed Ruf.....Now I have been told countless of times not to reply to people
    >who enjoy putting you down, but I will.

    You would have been better holding your tongue and here's why. First, I did
    not specifically put you down, as you just did. I merely stated given what
    and how you had posted in c.p.p and r.p.d. that you appeared to be a troll
    to me.

    >I like to find out any and all
    >information about a product before I buy. The fact that I sent posts both to
    >comp.periphs.printers as well as the digital camera post makes me want to
    >gather as much info as possible. I presumed that people who use cameras
    >would have some intelligent and helpful answers. So Ed, if you get off by
    >putting people down because they want to learn, then good for you. Hope you
    >and your family have a great Holiday Season. I did get some great answers
    >from those who care.

    Well, if you really want pertinent info in folks replies you would do a lot
    better to formulate your queries in a way which actually allows those in
    the groups to assess your questions in direct relation to your needs and
    wants, framed by how you intend to use the printer. Meaning it would have
    been helpful to provide, in no particular order of importance, such info
    as:

    What camera/scanner is the source material coming from?
    What OS you are using?
    What types of prints are you interested in?
    size?
    media?
    volume?
    What application do you use to edit your photos and print from?
    Does it incorporate color management and is this important to you?
    Are you aware of the basic principles of PPI for the final
    printed image and image resizing/resampling to achieve
    the desired output?
    Do you have a calibrated monitor?
    Do intend to use 3rd party ink/paper?
    Do you intend to frame all your photos behind glass? or
    do you care little about print longevity in any
    environment?

    Or even, what did you learn in your "extensive research" on each of these
    printers? Let alone stating in a single post I'm looking at either of these
    two printers.....

    All you posted was a "gimme" question, with none of the above info, not
    much better than the standard "which camera is best?" question we get in
    r.p.d. all the time. So what other conclusion could I logically reach?

    So you got good info from others on your original query. I can assure you
    then you would get fantastic, to the point replies, had you cared to share
    any/all of the above cited info about your needs/wants with us.

    A case in point. I haven't seen anyone reply so far you most likely will be
    able to print at less than the max resolution with the R800 on most media
    types for most uses and save both ink and printing time while doing so.

    Yes, I have owned a 1270 and now use an R800.

    Happy Holidays, in earnest!
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 19, 2006