    productivity/surfing in a home office environment? Are Word, WordPerfect,
    Firefox, Outlook Express HT enabled?

    Cleburne

    Patrick Cleburne, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Patrick Cleburne

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote:

    >My understanding of hyperthreading technology is that HT processors increase
    >speed by allowing hyperthreading-enabled software to run stuff in parallel.
    >
    >So it is worth the extra $100-$200 for an HT computer for general office
    >productivity/surfing in a home office environment? Are Word, WordPerfect,
    >Firefox, Outlook Express HT enabled?
    >
    >Cleburne

    First requirement would be a Hyperthreading aware operating system,
    which means Windows XP or Windows 2000 or (possibly) some flavors of
    Linux.

    Second requirement would be to be having multiple tasks actually
    running at the same time, not just open applications but actually
    processing something. So if you play music CDs on your PC while you
    are doing word processing; or something other combination of
    activities then you should notice a benefit.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Patrick Cleburne

    hummingbird Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:48:44 GMT, "Patrick Cleburne"
    <reb@_rebyell.xcom>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >My understanding of hyperthreading technology is that HT processors increase
    >speed by allowing hyperthreading-enabled software to run stuff in parallel.
    >
    >So it is worth the extra $100-$200 for an HT computer for general office
    >productivity/surfing in a home office environment? Are Word, WordPerfect,
    >Firefox, Outlook Express HT enabled?

    My 2 cents worth...
    I have a P4 HT Prescott and in all honesty it only ever goes above
    5% usage when I do offline intensive processing - eg film/audio
    editing and some other work, like running spyware checking etc.
    Surfing the net doesn't use much CPU power afaics nor does word
    processing or e-mailing. IE runs as slow with/without HT.

    --
    "Instead of wasting hundreds of millions of pounds on compulsory
    ID cards as the Tory Right demand, let that money provide thousands

    hummingbird, Apr 6, 2005
  4. "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
    > My understanding of hyperthreading technology is that HT processors
    > increase speed by allowing hyperthreading-enabled software to run stuff in
    > parallel.
    >
    > So it is worth the extra $100-$200 for an HT computer for general office
    > productivity/surfing in a home office environment? Are Word, WordPerfect,
    > Firefox, Outlook Express HT enabled?
    >
    > Cleburne

    Thanks...

    Cleburne