    to that folder but it does not want to know. I have downloaded a specific
    from Norton, but to no avail. AdAware will not move it.
    Short of the big hammer remedy, can anyone advise me, please
    gruffydd, Jan 21, 2004

  2. gruffydd

    Bay0Wulf Guest

    <SNIP>
    > > I have a worm ''ginst_001_1234_4201.exe''
    > > I have found and know where it is on the machine, and have sicced
    > > Norton on to that folder but it does not want to know.

    > Go here: http://tinyurl.com/eanz

    KM you are seriously a total dickhead with nothing of value to offer. Why
    don't you try to get a life?
    Bay0Wulf, Jan 21, 2004

  3. gruffydd

    Bay0Wulf Guest

    <SNIP>
    > I have a worm ''ginst_001_1234_4201.exe''
    > I have found and know where it is on the machine, and have sicced Norton

    on
    > to that folder but it does not want to know. I have downloaded a specific
    > from Norton, but to no avail. AdAware will not move it.

    I can't really tell you if this will work. I haven't found a definition of
    the worm you show here but I checked around a bit and I suggest that perhaps
    you could try this. This is a free download for 30 days so it would cost you
    nothing to try it and see if it can do what Norton can't.
    http://www.firetrust.com/products/benign/

    - Bay0Wulf
    Bay0Wulf, Jan 21, 2004
  4. gruffydd

    trout Guest

    gruffydd wrote:

    > This question may well have cropped up before, but please humour me
    > as an old bloke with very limited computer gumption.
    > I have a worm ''ginst_001_1234_4201.exe''
    > I have found and know where it is on the machine, and have sicced
    > Norton on to that folder but it does not want to know. I have
    > downloaded a specific from Norton, but to no avail. AdAware will not
    > move it.
    > Short of the big hammer remedy, can anyone advise me, please

    That would appear to be the Trickler worm; part of the Gator
    foistware. First, check your add/remove programs, and uninstall anything
    you find that came from Gator/Gain.
    Run Task Manager (Ctrl - Alt -Del), and halt any running process of
    'trickler', or 'ginst', or anything that looks at you funny.
    Run AdAware again; or try Spybot S&D:
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    <http://security.kolla.de/>
    Either *should* remove this worm.
    --
    "I'd use both. Regularly."
    trout, Jan 21, 2004
  5. gruffydd

    Wal Guest

    ==========================

    The reason that it cannot be deleted is

    probably because it is running.

    You do not say what Operating System

    you are using on your computer.

    If you are running Windows 98 you can

    Reboot to Dos. This will mean that

    the file will not be running and you will be able

    to delete it using Dos commands.

    If your Operating System does not allow

    you to Boot to Dos, maybe you can reboot

    to Safe Mode and try deleting from there.

    It might not be running in Safe Mode but

    it is possible that it will be.

    Install RegEdit, it is free and available on the

    net, and check that the worm is not

    in the start-up list of programs. If it is

    then use RegEdit to disable it. This should

    stop it starting at bootup so you can delete it.

    Good luck
    Wal

    ========================

    Wal, Jan 21, 2004
  6. gruffydd

    Wal Guest

    ==========================

    Sorry that should read Reg Cleaner Not

    RegEdit.

    Regards,
    Wal

    ========================

    Wal, Jan 21, 2004
  7. gruffydd

    °Mike° Guest

    1. How do you know it's a worm?
    2. What is the *exact* name of the worm?
    3. Does Norton detect it?
    4. What does Norton say on the matter?
    5. What (exactly) happens when you try to delete it?
    6. What is your operating system?

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:02:30 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bulpol$qvg$>
    gruffydd scrawled:

    >This question may well have cropped up before, but please humour me as an
    >old bloke with very limited computer gumption.
    >I have a worm ''ginst_001_1234_4201.exe''
    >I have found and know where it is on the machine, and have sicced Norton on
    >to that folder but it does not want to know. I have downloaded a specific
    >from Norton, but to no avail. AdAware will not move it.
    >Short of the big hammer remedy, can anyone advise me, please

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 21, 2004
  8. gruffydd

    Patrick Guest

    gruffydd wrote:
    > This question may well have cropped up before, but please humour me
    > as an old bloke with very limited computer gumption.
    > I have a worm ''ginst_001_1234_4201.exe''
    > I have found and know where it is on the machine,

    Are you useing WinME or WinXP ?
    If so then does the path to the location of the 'worm' (where it is on the
    machine) happen to have 'System Volume Information' in it's path-name.

    If so, then the problem is in your 'System Restore' file which AV programs
    do not have access to.

    If above is the case, then problem can be solved by temporaraly turning of
    'System Restore'

    Patrick, Jan 21, 2004
  9. gruffydd

    gruffydd Guest

    thanks for your offers but I shall need more assist.
    I am on win2k Pro. Oe6
    How do I reboot to 'safe' or to Dos, please?
    gruffydd, Jan 21, 2004
  10. > This question may well have cropped up before, but please humour me as an
    > old bloke with very limited computer gumption.
    > I have a worm ''ginst_001_1234_4201.exe''
    > I have found and know where it is on the machine, and have sicced Norton on
    > to that folder but it does not want to know. I have downloaded a specific
    > from Norton, but to no avail. AdAware will not move it.

    I bought a "rescue" disc for Microsoft problems like this:

    http://www.knoppix.com/

    Does your version of Microsoft Windows support real DOS? If you reboot
    and don't load Windows, you should be able to delete the file from the
    command line. The problem is that this Microsoft worm may have
    installed other stuff on your system, and deleting that file won't
    remove the worm. Have you tried Spybot? It can be downloaded through:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

    You should also consider using Linux, a real operating system that is
    not affected by Microsoft worms:

    http://www.knoppix.com/
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/
    Alexander Rogge, Jan 21, 2004
  11. gruffydd

    Wal Guest

    "gruffydd" <> wrote in message
    > thanks for your offers but I shall need more assist.
    > I am on win2k Pro. Oe6
    > How do I reboot to 'safe' or to Dos, please?

    Hi Gruffydd, Win2K Pro is not a system I am very familiar with.
    I think that to be able to boot to Dos ended with Win 98SE.
    To find out how to boot up in Safe Mode, and to find out the options you
    will get, open help in windows and do a search for Safe Mode. It should give
    you exact instructions.

    Good Luck
    Wal

    Wal, Jan 21, 2004