    1. Advertising

  1. Robert Mathews

    T-Boy Guest

    T-Boy, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Robert Mathews

    karl Guest

    Its freeky that ASB Bank was infected with this..

    karl, Aug 14, 2003
  3. Robert Mathews

    Howard Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > "karl" <> wrote in message
    >> Its freeky that ASB Bank was infected with this..

    > It's appalling. A (properly configured) firewall takes care of it and
    > the operating systems SHOULD be patched regulary.

    Firewalls yes. MS Patches less so.

    As several wise fellows have already said in this ng, too many of them have
    broken an otherwise working system and they also have an amended and less
    favourable EULA.

    Virus checkers also should be added to the list, albeit it would not have
    saved the day against blaster. Firewalls alone are insufficient. While IT
    depts might like to prevent sharing of files between organisations &/or from
    home, it's still the way most work gets done.

    Howard, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Robert Mathews

    lily Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    >>"karl" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Its freeky that ASB Bank was infected with this..

    >>It's appalling. A (properly configured) firewall takes care of it and
    >>the operating systems SHOULD be patched regulary.

    > Firewalls yes. MS Patches less so.
    >
    > As several wise fellows have already said in this ng, too many of them have
    > broken an otherwise working system and they also have an amended and less
    > favourable EULA.
    >
    > Virus checkers also should be added to the list, albeit it would not have
    > saved the day against blaster. Firewalls alone are insufficient. While IT
    > depts might like to prevent sharing of files between organisations &/or from
    > home, it's still the way most work gets done.

    The tools are still there in XP, a firewall, a VPN client and server.
    Perhaps microsoft should have released a "UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM NOW !!!" worm.
    I'm an XP user, I connect through an inexpensive firewall and keep my
    stuff backed up to an inexpensive Debian samba server.
    Its a must have Windows accessory.
    ;-)
    I have no trouble clicking through the Microsoft EULA, and accepting all
    their updates.
    But I feel very sad for those that depend on Microsofts assurances, and
    have lost their homework, uni work, family photo album, music
    collection, home finance budget etc, their small business tax and gst
    records and have to go through the technofear trauma and hours of
    inconvenience of rebuilding their systems.
    They deserve a heartfelt apology from Microsoft and a promise to
    implement better systems in future.
    Critical Update notification should be installed by default.

    lily, Aug 14, 2003
  5. "lily" <> wrote in message
    > But I feel very sad for those that depend on Microsofts assurances, and
    > have lost their homework, uni work, family photo album, music
    > collection, home finance budget etc, their small business tax and gst
    > records and have to go through the technofear trauma and hours of
    > inconvenience of rebuilding their systems.

    Er.. what? This worm doesn't do *any* permanent damage.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 14, 2003
  6. Robert Mathews

    M Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > "lily" <> wrote in message
    > > But I feel very sad for those that depend on Microsofts assurances, and
    > > have lost their homework, uni work, family photo album, music
    > > collection, home finance budget etc, their small business tax and gst
    > > records and have to go through the technofear trauma and hours of
    > > inconvenience of rebuilding their systems.

    > Er.. what? This worm doesn't do *any* permanent damage.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Except that it opens up a backdoor on port 4444 that ANYONE can do anything
    they like through.

    It is extremely dangerous.

    M, Aug 14, 2003
  7. "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > > But I feel very sad for those that depend on Microsofts assurances, and
    > > have lost their homework, uni work, family photo album, music
    > > collection, home finance budget etc, their small business tax and gst
    > > records and have to go through the technofear trauma and hours of
    > > inconvenience of rebuilding their systems.

    > Er.. what? This worm doesn't do *any* permanent damage.

    This one apparently. Patch before the next one that does.

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Robert Mathews

    lily Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > "lily" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>But I feel very sad for those that depend on Microsofts assurances, and
    >>have lost their homework, uni work, family photo album, music
    >>collection, home finance budget etc, their small business tax and gst
    >>records and have to go through the technofear trauma and hours of
    >>inconvenience of rebuilding their systems.

    > Er.. what? This worm doesn't do *any* permanent damage.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    So easily dismissed when its someone elses problem.
    This is what I mean.

    How do you know which version of whatever worm has exploited this
    particular vulnerability ?
    There are a whole bunch of variants on their way.
    The security advisories suggest that you should clean rebuild and patch.
    Many home users don't have access to another box to even investigate a fix
    It might mean nothing to a young know it all geek like you, but its a
    major pain in the arse to Joe Average User.

    lily, Aug 14, 2003
  9. "lily" <> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    > > "lily" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>But I feel very sad for those that depend on Microsofts assurances, and
    > >>have lost their homework, uni work, family photo album, music
    > >>collection, home finance budget etc, their small business tax and gst
    > >>records and have to go through the technofear trauma and hours of
    > >>inconvenience of rebuilding their systems.

    > > Er.. what? This worm doesn't do *any* permanent damage.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Nicholas Sherlock
    > >

    > So easily dismissed when its someone elses problem.
    > This is what I mean.
    >
    > How do you know which version of whatever worm has exploited this
    > particular vulnerability ?
    > There are a whole bunch of variants on their way.
    > The security advisories suggest that you should clean rebuild and patch.
    > Many home users don't have access to another box to even investigate a fix
    > It might mean nothing to a young know it all geek like you, but its a
    > major pain in the arse to Joe Average User.

    That's why everyone reccomends that you
    A. Have antivirus installed.
    B. Have a firewall installed
    C. GO TO WINDOWSUPDATE! :)

    Having any *one* of these would stop the problem.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 14, 2003
  10. Robert Mathews

    RecylerMan Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    >>"karl" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Its freeky that ASB Bank was infected with this..

    >>It's appalling. A (properly configured) firewall takes care of it and
    >>the operating systems SHOULD be patched regulary.

    > Firewalls yes. MS Patches less so.
    >
    > As several wise fellows have already said in this ng, too many of them have
    > broken an otherwise working system and they also have an amended and less
    > favourable EULA.
    >
    > Virus checkers also should be added to the list, albeit it would not have
    > saved the day against blaster. Firewalls alone are insufficient. While IT
    > depts might like to prevent sharing of files between organisations &/or from
    > home, it's still the way most work gets done.

    I just put my XP system togeather It worked fine it was behind a fire
    wall never seen intrusions of the type talked about I had my net working
    up and running one win95b machine two win98 a e-smith and XP well all
    machines except e-smith could read data off the xp machine all was sweet
    I do the download patches thing and Shit win95 cant do anything with the
    XP machine SOB being only a pentium133 95 sutes it to the everyting
    concidering it was running 95b when new.

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z

    RecylerMan, Aug 14, 2003
  11. Robert Mathews

    Jason M Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 07:14:51 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >That's why everyone reccomends that you

    > B. Have a firewall installed

    But the firewall needs to be told what to do.
    It's not exactly obvious what the firewall should block and allow.

    Jason M, Aug 14, 2003
  12. Robert Mathews

    lily Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > "lily" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>

    >>>"lily" <> wrote in message

    >>>Er.. what? This worm doesn't do *any* permanent damage.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>Nicholas Sherlock
    >>>

    >>So easily dismissed when its someone elses problem.
    >>This is what I mean.
    >>
    >>How do you know which version of whatever worm has exploited this
    >>particular vulnerability ?
    >>There are a whole bunch of variants on their way.
    >>The security advisories suggest that you should clean rebuild and patch.
    >>Many home users don't have access to another box to even investigate a fix
    >>It might mean nothing to a young know it all geek like you, but its a
    >>major pain in the arse to Joe Average User.
    >>

    > That's why everyone reccomends that you
    > A. Have antivirus installed.
    > B. Have a firewall installed
    > C. GO TO WINDOWSUPDATE! :)
    >
    > Having any *one* of these would stop the problem.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    All stuff that the white box that Joe Average User bought from the home
    appliance salesman should do by default.
    Its the only way.
    They have already been told that the PC does this stuff
    Microsoft have always sent their stuff out wide open unsafe with
    security as an user selected option.
    There are reams of magazine articles about securing your PC.
    All the components are there.
    But...
    Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
    Not good enough.

    lily, Aug 14, 2003
  13. Out from under a rock popped Howard and said

    > As several wise fellows have already said in this ng, too many of them
    > have broken an otherwise working system and they also have an amended
    > and less favourable EULA.

    The number OS systems that get broken by patches is minimal and generally
    caused by a problem that was lurking below the surface anyway. It's not an
    acceptable reason to not update. Most of MS's updates can be removed from
    add\remove programs if they cause a problem anyway.

    Secondly the EULA may be less favourable but AFAIK non of Microsoft's EULAs
    have been tested in court. How well they stand up in law is debataeble.

    > Virus checkers also should be added to the list, albeit it would not
    > have saved the day against blaster. Firewalls alone are insufficient.
    > While IT depts might like to prevent sharing of files between
    > organisations &/or from home, it's still the way most work gets done.

    The Multinational I work for makes virus protection, VPN, and F/W software
    available to the Employees. We encourage people to take NAV home and
    install it on their own PCs.

    Robert Singers, Aug 14, 2003
  14. "Jason M" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 07:14:51 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >That's why everyone reccomends that you

    > > B. Have a firewall installed

    > But the firewall needs to be told what to do.
    > It's not exactly obvious what the firewall should block and allow.

    If it's a software firewall, it'll ask. "Nutscrape Communicable needs to use
    the internet, allow?".

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 15, 2003
  15. "lily" <> wrote in message
    > All stuff that the white box that Joe Average User bought from the home
    > appliance salesman should do by default.
    > Its the only way.
    > They have already been told that the PC does this stuff
    > Microsoft have always sent their stuff out wide open unsafe with
    > security as an user selected option.
    > There are reams of magazine articles about securing your PC.
    > All the components are there.
    > But...
    > Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
    > Not good enough.

    XP has a firewall installed *by default* for most configurations, I think.
    Autoupdate notification is also installed by default, ISTR.

    And.. do you think this is different on other operating systems?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 15, 2003
  16. "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > "lily" <> wrote in message
    > > All stuff that the white box that Joe Average User bought from the home
    > > appliance salesman should do by default.
    > > Its the only way.
    > > They have already been told that the PC does this stuff
    > > Microsoft have always sent their stuff out wide open unsafe with
    > > security as an user selected option.
    > > There are reams of magazine articles about securing your PC.
    > > All the components are there.
    > > But...
    > > Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
    > > Not good enough.

    > XP has a firewall installed *by default* for most configurations, I think.

    Not for the users rooted by the worm

    > Autoupdate notification is also installed by default, ISTR.

    Not for the users rooted by the worm.

    Thats why all the infections

    > And.. do you think this is different on other operating systems?

    Why do you think that that matters to the hundreds of thousands of users
    rooted by the worm.

    They didn't install any operating system, they just bought a 'puter.

    Howard Johnson, Aug 15, 2003
  17. On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:55:26 +1200, "Howard Johnson" <> wrote:

    >"Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> "lily" <> wrote in message
    >> > All stuff that the white box that Joe Average User bought from the home
    >> > appliance salesman should do by default.
    >> > Its the only way.
    >> > They have already been told that the PC does this stuff
    >> > Microsoft have always sent their stuff out wide open unsafe with
    >> > security as an user selected option.
    >> > There are reams of magazine articles about securing your PC.
    >> > All the components are there.
    >> > But...
    >> > Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
    >> > Not good enough.

    >> XP has a firewall installed *by default* for most configurations, I think.

    >Not for the users rooted by the worm
    >
    >> Autoupdate notification is also installed by default, ISTR.

    >Not for the users rooted by the worm.
    >
    >Thats why all the infections
    >>
    >> And.. do you think this is different on other operating systems?

    >Why do you think that that matters to the hundreds of thousands of users
    >rooted by the worm.
    >
    >They didn't install any operating system, they just bought a 'puter.

    So why din't the Auto updates work..?

    Robert Mathews, Aug 15, 2003
  18. Robert Mathews

    T.N.O Guest

    "lily" wrote
    | But...
    | Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
    | Not good enough.

    Why? we don't let users onto roads in vehicles without "proper training" why
    not make users of computers do the same... maybe it is because it would kill
    the industry because every body would learn just how "illiterate"* the
    general public is.

    I dont actually mean illiterate, but the word serves the purpose for what I
    meant, and most here seem to be above average intelligence, and should "get
    it"

    T.N.O, Aug 16, 2003
  19. Robert Mathews

    cowboyz Guest

    "T.N.O" <> wrote in message
    > "lily" wrote
    > | But...
    > | Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
    > | Not good enough.
    >
    > Why? we don't let users onto roads in vehicles without "proper training"

    What you on about? We let anyone on the road with the very basics of how to
    drive. And people buy computers with the very basics of knowledge.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Aug 16, 2003