Worm-SpyBot

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Henry, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    My son downloaded a file which was identified by AVG as containing the
    worm\spybot. When the warning flashed up he clicked on the continue
    button thinking that the warning referred to the Spybot spyware program
    we run from time to time.I forgot.

    Having told AVG's resident shield to continue he then attempted to run
    the file. When he received a warning message to the effect that it
    wasn't a valid "exe" file referred it to me, to tell him why his program
    didn't run.

    I carried out a full scan which found 2 references to the worm & the
    files have now been "healed"

    I have read up on this worm (also called P2P-Worm.Win32.SpyBot.a), which
    amongst other things can install a keyboard logger & am concerned whilst
    the files may have been quarantined the result of their infiltration may
    still be active on my pc.

    Am I worrying unnecessarily or are their any tests I should be carrying out?

    I have run another full AVG Scan, and have run a Symantic online scan,
    both of which came up clear. I have also run AdAware & Spybot for adware.

    I am running XP Pro & use Zonealarm.

    Any adice would be greatly appreciated, please.

    TIA

    Pebso

    I forgot. Having told AVG's resident shield to continue he then
    attempted to run the file. He received a woarning message to the effect
    that it wasn't a valid "exe" file and at that point referred it to me,
    to tell him why his program didn't run.

    Henry, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Henry

    Grump Guest

    Download a copy of the Free Avast AV program, then turn off your AVG
    temporarily & do a boot up scan with Avast.
    It seems to find a lot of items that the mainstream AV progs miss.
    Grump.

    Grump, Aug 15, 2005

  3. Henry

    Plato Guest

    Grump wrote:

    > Download a copy of the Free Avast AV program, then turn off your AVG
    > temporarily & do a boot up scan with Avast.
    > It seems to find a lot of items that the mainstream AV progs miss.

    It can also go the other way around. Note that if you are one that likes
    to download and install viruses the virus may immediately disable your
    current anti-virus by attaching itself to its .exe files. In fact, when
    infected, it's often happens that the Second anti-virus you install has
    to de-infect your current anti-virus that got attacked.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 16, 2005