    http://tinyurl.com/28fu7fk

    From the "you've got to be joking" department comes this brilliant
    brainstorm which actually got google to give them a million dollars for the
    project.

    Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
    chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?

    Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
    to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

    But if google is willing to toss away money like that, then I've got a
    couple of ideas they can help finance. Both would be of benefit to the
    transportation department. And both items would be built and used right
    here in the states.
    richard, Sep 27, 2010

  2. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
    > chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
    >
    > Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
    > to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

    It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
    $35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
    exchange).

    Apparently the speed is great, considering low 'rolling' resistance and
    7 gear recumbent cycle configuration, and the view is great and the
    corners are 'slick', swinging out on the suspension point, so you don't
    have to slow down for that.

    I suppose/ would hope/ the price is per 'cab' so you could split the
    ride/cab fare between up to 4 people, which would make it more
    economical. Otherwise it is too expensive for my taste.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 27, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:19:27 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
    >> chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
    >>
    >> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
    >> to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

    > It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
    > $35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
    > exchange).
    >
    > Apparently the speed is great, considering low 'rolling' resistance and
    > 7 gear recumbent cycle configuration, and the view is great and the
    > corners are 'slick', swinging out on the suspension point, so you don't
    > have to slow down for that.
    >
    > I suppose/ would hope/ the price is per 'cab' so you could split the
    > ride/cab fare between up to 4 people, which would make it more
    > economical. Otherwise it is too expensive for my taste.

    I got the idea they were touting it off as real transportation.
    As a ride at an amusement park, maybe.

    Kings Island in Ohio had "The Bat" which was a suspended rail coaster.
    I got to ride it once and actually enjoyed the damn thing. But they had a
    major problem with it and had to shut it down.
    richard, Sep 27, 2010
  4. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:19:27 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
    >>> chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
    >>>
    >>> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
    >>> to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

    >> It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
    >> $35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
    >> exchange).
    >>

    >I got the idea they were touting it off as real transportation.
    >As a ride at an amusement park, maybe.

    You really should do more than just look at the pictures, even if
    that got you through high school.

    Mike "several thousand of *your* words" Yetto
    --
    "There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free
    government ought to be to trust no man living with power to
    Mike Yetto, Sep 27, 2010
  5. richard

    philo Guest

    On 09/27/2010 12:58 PM, richard wrote:
    > http://shweeb.co.nz/Shweeb/what-is-the-shweeb_IDL=1_IDT=2185_ID=12883_.html
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/28fu7fk
    >
    > From the "you've got to be joking" department comes this brilliant
    > brainstorm which actually got google to give them a million dollars for the
    > project.
    >
    > Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
    > chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
    >
    > Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
    > to fit the groceries inside and you as well?
    >
    > But if google is willing to toss away money like that, then I've got a
    > couple of ideas they can help finance. Both would be of benefit to the
    > transportation department. And both items would be built and used right
    > here in the states.

    Yeah\
    they had those things when I was a kid

    took one to the moon once

    it was kind of fun
    philo, Sep 27, 2010
  6. richard

    joevan Guest

    wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
    >> chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
    >>
    >> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
    >> to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

    >It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
    >$35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
    >exchange).
    >
    >Apparently the speed is great, considering low 'rolling' resistance and
    >7 gear recumbent cycle configuration, and the view is great and the
    >corners are 'slick', swinging out on the suspension point, so you don't
    >have to slow down for that.
    >
    >I suppose/ would hope/ the price is per 'cab' so you could split the
    >ride/cab fare between up to 4 people, which would make it more
    >economical. Otherwise it is too expensive for my taste.

    It looks like a lot of fun. Wouldn't mind taking it for a spin once
    anyway.
    joevan, Sep 27, 2010
  7. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > http://shweeb.co.nz/Shweeb/what-is-the-shweeb_IDL=1_IDT=2185_ID=12883_.
    > html
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/28fu7fk
    >
    > From the "you've got to be joking" department comes this brilliant
    > brainstorm which actually got google to give them a million dollars
    > for the project.
    >
    > Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed
    > glass chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
    >
    > Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and
    > trying to fit the groceries inside and you as well?
    >
    > But if google is willing to toss away money like that, then I've got a
    > couple of ideas they can help finance. Both would be of benefit to the
    > transportation department. And both items would be built and used
    > right here in the states.

    There's nothing new about monorails. No ones used them since expo '67.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 27, 2010
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 28, 2010
  9. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 27/09/2010 21:19, Mike Yetto wrote:
    > richard<> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
    >>> $35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
    >>> exchange).
    >>>

    >> I got the idea they were touting it off as real transportation.
    >> As a ride at an amusement park, maybe.

    > You really should do more than just look at the pictures, even if
    > that got you through high school.

    Words from the site:

    "Shweeb will soon announce the location where we will build the first
    transit Shweeb for public use!"
    Desk Rabbit, Sep 28, 2010
  10. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > Words from the site:
    >
    > "Shweeb will soon announce the location where we will build the first
    > transit Shweeb for public use!"

    The recreational ride in Rotorua which opened in 2007 was based on the
    inventor's bright ideas that involved cyclist efficiency.

    Google's 10^100 project (ideas to change the world by helping as many
    people as possible) came along in 2008 which led to the googlefunding.

    The public transport ideas are linked to the inventor's good concepts,
    but of course are not exactly going to turn out just like the
    recreational ride. There are a lot of good public transport concepts
    expressed on the technology part of the website.

    http://shweeb.co.nz/Shweeb/technology_IDL=1_IDT=2190_ID=13165_.html
    Shweeb technology
    Aerodynamics
    Towers and Spans
    The Network
    Stations and Stocking
    Vehicle Variations
    Buffers and Trains
    Elevation
    Terminus Station
    Off line Station
    Switches
    Bridges and Suspension Spans
    Sustainability
    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 28, 2010
  11. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > There are a lot of good public transport concepts
    > expressed on the technology part of the website.

    For example, in my opinion, there is a lot of difference between a
    system which is so efficient that a good cyclist can pedal it at over 30
    mph and which cab can carry the same number of passengers as an average
    auto 1-4 from point A to point B, as opposed to a presently typical
    public transport train or subway or trolley which is so heavy and
    expensive that it takes many thousands of horsepower to move it around
    and which costs millions of dollars per heavy car, which are sometimes
    traveling around empty.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 28, 2010
  12. richard

    M.L. Guest

    M.L., Sep 28, 2010
  13. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:11:40 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > On 27/09/2010 21:19, Mike Yetto wrote:
    >> richard<> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> I got the idea they were touting it off as real transportation.
    >>> As a ride at an amusement park, maybe.

    >> You really should do more than just look at the pictures, even if
    >> that got you through high school.

    > Words from the site:
    >
    > "Shweeb will soon announce the location where we will build the first
    > transit Shweeb for public use!"

    Which could also include an amusement park.
    I don't think I'd even bother even there.
    richard, Sep 28, 2010
  14. richard

    M.L. Guest

    >> http://shweeb.co.nz/Shweeb/what-is-the-shweeb_IDL=1_IDT=2185_ID=12883_.html

    >> >Words from the site:
    >> >
    >> >"Shweeb will soon announce the location where we will build the first
    >> >transit Shweeb for public use!"

    >> Too scary,

    >Really? Looks like fun. Dont know if the dog would like riding in it though...

    Not to mention small children and the elderly.

    >> too exhausting

    >Spoken like a true Uhmurikin :)

    >> and too much wintertime cold in some locales
    >> for public transportation.

    >Uh...since *you* power it your energy expenditure results in heat production.
    >I guess if you're not used to aerobic excerise that might seem a
    >bit...unfamiliar to you.

    I think you're unfamiliar with how cold winters can get in some parts
    of America.

    In any case, I don't think the drivers would smell suitable for work
    after arrival.
    M.L., Sep 29, 2010