World's cheapest laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 30, 2008.

  1. Non-x86 processor helps keep the power consumption and the price down
    <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/118188,worlds-cheapest-laptop-goes-on-sale.aspx>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 30, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 30, 10:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Non-x86 processor helps keep the power consumption and the price down
    > <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/118188,worlds-cheapest-laptop-goes...>.


    That will muck up Microsoft, it seems you cannot 'plant' Windows XP on
    it.
    peterwn, Jul 31, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 31, 1:53 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 10:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > Non-x86 processor helps keep the power consumption and the price down
    > > <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/118188,worlds-cheapest-laptop-goes...>.

    >
    > That will muck up Microsoft, it seems you cannot 'plant' Windows XP on
    > it.


    The 7" screen means it cannot be used conventionally as a laptop.
    Powervul PDA/communication type device perhaps, like an EeePC.
    JohnO, Jul 31, 2008
    #3
  4. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > The 7" screen means it cannot be used conventionally as a laptop.


    Why not? I use mine.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 31, 2008
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 1, 1:50 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > The 7" screen means it cannot be used conventionally as a laptop.
    > > Powervul PDA/communication type device perhaps, like an EeePC.

    >
    > While the low resolution is annoying on these things, you get used to it
    > and the portability of them more then makes up for it.


    I have an EeePC that I use for email, video skype and web use when
    traveling but it could not be used for a full day of work. The screen
    is too small and the resolution too low.
    JohnO, Jul 31, 2008
    #5
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Jul 31, 1:53 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >> On Jul 30, 10:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >>
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> > Non-x86 processor helps keep the power consumption and the price down
    >> > <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/118188,worlds-cheapest-laptop-goes...>.

    >>
    >> That will muck up Microsoft, it seems you cannot 'plant' Windows XP on
    >> it.

    >
    > The 7" screen means it cannot be used conventionally as a laptop.
    > Powervul PDA/communication type device perhaps, like an EeePC.


    A smartphone is much more flexible as a communications device, and a great
    deal more mobile.
    impossible, Aug 1, 2008
    #6
  7. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > I have an EeePC that I use for email, video skype and web use when
    > traveling but it could not be used for a full day of work.


    That's probably fair enough. My Eee is not my primary machine. Nevertheless
    it's the one that's easy to take to a client's place. Also for things like
    browsing the Web (or reading Usenet), the convenience of being able to
    slouch on the living-room sofa outweighs the bigger screen in my office. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2008
    #7
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 1, 12:45 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, JohnO
    > did write:
    >
    > > I have an EeePC that I use for email, video skype and web use when
    > > traveling but it could not be used for a full day of work.

    >
    > That's probably fair enough. My Eee is not my primary machine. Nevertheless
    > it's the one that's easy to take to a client's place. Also for things like
    > browsing the Web (or reading Usenet), the convenience of being able to
    > slouch on the living-room sofa outweighs the bigger screen in my office. :)


    Yes. It still amazes me that I can be at one client, pull this thing
    out and fire up VPN and remote desktop to another client. Great to
    jump on somewhere and fix something or grab some information etc. Full
    size laptops are too big to carry around everywhere.
    JohnO, Aug 1, 2008
    #8
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-07-31, impossible <> wrote:
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Jul 31, 1:53 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >>> On Jul 30, 10:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >>>
    >>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>> > Non-x86 processor helps keep the power consumption and the price down
    >>> > <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/118188,worlds-cheapest-laptop-goes...>.
    >>>
    >>> That will muck up Microsoft, it seems you cannot 'plant' Windows XP on
    >>> it.

    >>
    >> The 7" screen means it cannot be used conventionally as a laptop.
    >> Powervul PDA/communication type device perhaps, like an EeePC.

    >
    > A smartphone is much more flexible as a communications device, and a great
    > deal more mobile.
    >

    Is not choice a wonderful thing?

    What the EE did was to jump into a spare bit of space on the IT scene and
    blind sided MS and a few others to boot.

    Think about it, an EE might just wander onto the phone area.

    The EE slamed open a door and went HA! in ones face. Things will not be the
    same since.

    Market forces, do Govern some things.
    Gordon, Aug 2, 2008
    #9
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 2008-07-31, impossible <> wrote:
    >> "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> On Jul 31, 1:53 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >>>> On Jul 30, 10:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >>>>
    >>>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>>> > Non-x86 processor helps keep the power consumption and the price down
    >>>> > <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/118188,worlds-cheapest-laptop-goes...>.
    >>>>
    >>>> That will muck up Microsoft, it seems you cannot 'plant' Windows XP on
    >>>> it.
    >>>
    >>> The 7" screen means it cannot be used conventionally as a laptop.
    >>> Powervul PDA/communication type device perhaps, like an EeePC.

    >>
    >> A smartphone is much more flexible as a communications device, and a
    >> great
    >> deal more mobile.
    >>

    > Is not choice a wonderful thing?
    >
    > What the EE did was to jump into a spare bit of space on the IT scene and
    > blind sided MS and a few others to boot.
    >


    You'd wrong about that. Asus expects to sell far more EEEs with Windows XP
    on board than with any flavor of Linux. Moreover, Asus continues to upscale
    the EEEs hardware (bigger screens, more memory, faster processors) and so
    make these machines capable of running more of the Windows-based
    applications that users are familiar with.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

    "The 1000 series launched at COMPUTEX Taipei on June 3, 2008. It features a
    new 10 inch (254 mm) screen and a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom CPU. The 1000 model
    ships with Linux and a 40GB SSD; the 1000H model ships with Windows XP Home
    and an 80 GB HD. Both the 1000 and the 1000H have up to 2 GB of DDR RAM. The
    1000 has a rated battery life of 4.2-7.5 hours, while the 1000H is rated for
    3.2-7 hours. It also offers a keyboard that is 92% the size of generic
    notebooks, aiming to make it more comfortable to type. Like the Eee PC 901,
    the new machines feature 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. The prices are TWD
    18,988 (approx. USD 625) for the 1000H and TWD 19,988 (approx. USD 658) for
    the 1000."

    The original bare-bones 700 series EEEs that made linux-heads so happy is
    now more of a clearance item on the shelves of retailers who havent really
    had much success in unloading those gadgets. Asus long ago stopped
    publishing actual sales numbers because they were so disappointing.

    > Think about it, an EE might just wander onto the phone area.
    >


    With a bluetooth connection, the new EEEs can already "wander" into the
    phone area. But if you want a phone, you'll buy a phone.

    > The EE slamed open a door and went HA! in ones face. Things will not be
    > the
    > same since.
    >
    > Market forces, do Govern some things.



    The marketing department at Asus just loves people like you! Care to buy a
    new EEE tote bag? Or a bottle of EEE cologne?
    impossible, Aug 2, 2008
    #10
  11. In article <4894e30d$>, sam did write:

    > They will retain the Linux versions to compete against other
    > manufacturers linux versions that the OS agnostics will buy.


    Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees, though
    the Linux ones are in greater demand
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2008
    #11
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:4894e30d$...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> On 2008-07-31, impossible <> wrote:
    >>>> "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> On Jul 31, 1:53 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >>>>>> On Jul 30, 10:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>>>>> > Non-x86 processor helps keep the power consumption and the price
    >>>>>> down
    >>>>>> >
    >>>>>> <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/118188,worlds-cheapest-laptop-goes...>.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> That will muck up Microsoft, it seems you cannot 'plant' Windows XP
    >>>>>> on
    >>>>>> it.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The 7" screen means it cannot be used conventionally as a laptop.
    >>>>> Powervul PDA/communication type device perhaps, like an EeePC.
    >>>>
    >>>> A smartphone is much more flexible as a communications device, and a
    >>>> great
    >>>> deal more mobile.
    >>>>
    >>> Is not choice a wonderful thing?
    >>>
    >>> What the EE did was to jump into a spare bit of space on the IT scene
    >>> and
    >>> blind sided MS and a few others to boot.
    >>>

    >>
    >> You'd wrong about that. Asus expects to sell far more EEEs with Windows
    >> XP on board than with any flavor of Linux. Moreover, Asus continues to
    >> upscale the EEEs hardware (bigger screens, more memory, faster
    >> processors) and so make these machines capable of running more of the
    >> Windows-based applications that users are familiar with.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
    >>
    >> "The 1000 series launched at COMPUTEX Taipei on June 3, 2008. It features
    >> a new 10 inch (254 mm) screen and a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom CPU. The 1000
    >> model ships with Linux and a 40GB SSD; the 1000H model ships with Windows
    >> XP Home and an 80 GB HD. Both the 1000 and the 1000H have up to 2 GB of
    >> DDR RAM. The 1000 has a rated battery life of 4.2-7.5 hours, while the
    >> 1000H is rated for 3.2-7 hours. It also offers a keyboard that is 92% the
    >> size of generic notebooks, aiming to make it more comfortable to type.
    >> Like the Eee PC 901, the new machines feature 802.11n Wi-Fi and
    >> Bluetooth. The prices are TWD 18,988 (approx. USD 625) for the 1000H and
    >> TWD 19,988 (approx. USD 658) for the 1000."
    >>
    >> The original bare-bones 700 series EEEs that made linux-heads so happy is
    >> now more of a clearance item on the shelves of retailers who havent
    >> really had much success in unloading those gadgets. Asus long ago
    >> stopped publishing actual sales numbers because they were so
    >> disappointing.
    >>

    >
    > They will retain the Linux versions to compete against other manufacturers
    > linux versions that the OS agnostics will buy.
    > Its just an SD card and a sticker on their assembly line after all, it
    > couldn't be easier.


    Yes.

    >>> Think about it, an EE might just wander onto the phone area.
    >>>

    >>
    >> With a bluetooth connection, the new EEEs can already "wander" into the
    >> phone area. But if you want a phone, you'll buy a phone.
    >>
    >>> The EE slamed open a door and went HA! in ones face. Things will not be
    >>> the
    >>> same since.
    >>>
    >>> Market forces, do Govern some things.

    >>
    >>
    >> The marketing department at Asus just loves people like you! Care to buy
    >> a new EEE tote bag? Or a bottle of EEE cologne?

    >
    > They will retain the Linux versions to compete against other manufacturers
    > linux versions that the OS agnostics will buy.
    > Its just an SD card and a sticker on their assembly line after all, it
    > couldn't be easier.
    impossible, Aug 3, 2008
    #12
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <4894e30d$>, sam did write:
    >
    >> They will retain the Linux versions to compete against other
    >> manufacturers linux versions that the OS agnostics will buy.

    >
    > Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees, though
    > the Linux ones are in greater demand
    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.


    It would be interesting to know how many of those are being brought as
    they are cheaper/higher spec then getting a pirated install of Windows
    XP thrown on them.
    Squiggle, Aug 3, 2008
    #13
  14. In article <489507a2$>, Squiggle did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees,
    >> though the Linux ones are in greater demand
    >> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.

    >
    > It would be interesting to know how many of those are being brought as
    > they are cheaper/higher spec then getting a pirated install of Windows
    > XP thrown on them.


    WGA seems to be dealing effectively with the whole Dimdows piracy issue, so
    I'd have to say "very few".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2008
    #14
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <489507a2$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees,
    >>> though the Linux ones are in greater demand
    >>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.

    >> It would be interesting to know how many of those are being brought as
    >> they are cheaper/higher spec then getting a pirated install of Windows
    >> XP thrown on them.

    >
    > WGA seems to be dealing effectively with the whole Dimdows piracy issue, so
    > I'd have to say "very few".


    You are joking right? WGA can be bypassed in about 5 mins with a few
    tools that aren't hard to find on the net.
    Squiggle, Aug 3, 2008
    #15
  16. In article <48950b1d$>, Squiggle did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <489507a2$>, Squiggle did write:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees,
    >>>> though the Linux ones are in greater demand
    >>>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.
    >>> It would be interesting to know how many of those are being brought as
    >>> they are cheaper/higher spec then getting a pirated install of Windows
    >>> XP thrown on them.

    >>
    >> WGA seems to be dealing effectively with the whole Dimdows piracy issue,
    >> so I'd have to say "very few".

    >
    > You are joking right? WGA can be bypassed in about 5 mins with a few
    > tools that aren't hard to find on the net.


    I find that hard to believe. Why would Microsoft persevere with it for so
    many years, if it's such a waste of time? All it would achieve would be to
    piss off legitimate users, and drive them to consider alternatives to
    Dimdows ...

    .... oh wait ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2008
    #16
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <48950b1d$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> In article <489507a2$>, Squiggle did write:
    >>>
    >>>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees,
    >>>>> though the Linux ones are in greater demand
    >>>>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.
    >>>> It would be interesting to know how many of those are being brought as
    >>>> they are cheaper/higher spec then getting a pirated install of Windows
    >>>> XP thrown on them.
    >>> WGA seems to be dealing effectively with the whole Dimdows piracy issue,
    >>> so I'd have to say "very few".

    >> You are joking right? WGA can be bypassed in about 5 mins with a few
    >> tools that aren't hard to find on the net.

    >
    > I find that hard to believe. Why would Microsoft persevere with it for so
    > many years, if it's such a waste of time? All it would achieve would be to
    > piss off legitimate users, and drive them to consider alternatives to
    > Dimdows ...
    >
    > ... oh wait ...


    For much the same reason you persist in calling Microsoft Windows
    "Dimdows", you have a (deluded) belief its helping your cause.
    Squiggle, Aug 3, 2008
    #17
  18. In article <48950d48$>, Squiggle did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <48950b1d$>, Squiggle did write:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>> In article <489507a2$>, Squiggle did write:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees,
    >>>>>> though the Linux ones are in greater demand
    >>>>>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.
    >>>>
    >>>>> It would be interesting to know how many of those are being brought as
    >>>>> they are cheaper/higher spec then getting a pirated install of Windows
    >>>>> XP thrown on them.
    >>>>
    >>>> WGA seems to be dealing effectively with the whole Dimdows piracy
    >>>> issue, so I'd have to say "very few".
    >>>
    >>> You are joking right? WGA can be bypassed in about 5 mins with a few
    >>> tools that aren't hard to find on the net.

    >>
    >> I find that hard to believe. Why would Microsoft persevere with it for so
    >> many years, if it's such a waste of time? All it would achieve would be
    >> to piss off legitimate users, and drive them to consider alternatives to
    >> Dimdows ...
    >>
    >> ... oh wait ...

    >
    > For much the same reason you persist in calling Microsoft Windows
    > "Dimdows", you have a (deluded) belief its helping your cause.


    This is making some erudite point about WGA, is it?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2008
    #18
  19. In message <g731pn$jbi$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <489507a2$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees,
    >>> though the Linux ones are in greater demand
    >>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.

    >>
    >> It would be interesting to know how many of those are being brought as
    >> they are cheaper/higher spec then getting a pirated install of Windows
    >> XP thrown on them.

    >
    > WGA seems to be dealing effectively with the whole Dimdows piracy issue,
    > so I'd have to say "very few".


    Not to mention, typical punters can't figure out how to do a Dimdows XP
    installation. What happens when it asks them to insert a floppy containing
    needed drivers?

    Also, the Linux preinstallation has a simple boot option to restore the
    system to factory settings. Dimdows can't offer this, even though it's
    likely to need it more.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 4, 2008
    #19
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:31:37 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <489507a2$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Asus says it's producing equal numbers of Dimdows XP and Linux Eees,
    >>> though the Linux ones are in greater demand
    >>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/>.

    >>
    >> It would be interesting to know how many of those are being brought as
    >> they are cheaper/higher spec then getting a pirated install of Windows
    >> XP thrown on them.

    >
    >WGA seems to be dealing effectively with the whole Dimdows piracy issue, so
    >I'd have to say "very few".


    Shouldn't that be DGA in your world?
    Craig Shore, Aug 4, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q0QtUGlscw==?=

    The world cup reflects the real world!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0QtUGlscw==?=, Jul 12, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    507
  2. pauldelanotte
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    502
    pauldelanotte
    Jan 22, 2007
  3. n
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    537
  4. Replies:
    8
    Views:
    366
    Matt Silberstein
    Apr 3, 2005
  5. Tony
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    805
    Whiskers
    Mar 26, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page