World War two colourised archive footage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NotSure, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. NotSure

    NotSure Guest

    NotSure, Jul 9, 2010

  2. NotSure

    Peter Guest

    news:2010070906085822503-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    > On 2010-07-09 02:51:58 -0700, Neil <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:30:00 -0700, John Navas wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:10:38 -0700 (PDT), in
    >>> <>,

    >>> I consider The Pacific a "must see".

    >> Just fiction.

    > Actually "The Pacific" was not fiction. It was a poorly adapted , over
    > glamorized, and over produced. Some of the production was fictionalized.
    > The basic source material was the documented stories of three marines, who
    > were very real. In my opinion it was a poor telling of very real events.
    >
    > John Basilone was a marine sergeant who fought on Guadalcanal. His action
    > of Guadalcanal was heroic, and he was fully deserving of the Medal of
    > Honor he was awarded. So little is known of his personal life, besides the
    > action for which he won his decoration, and the subsequent War bond
    > campaign, his service record, and his death on Iwo Jima, the makers of the
    > series created glamorized fabrication of the man.
    >
    > The big part the story was adapted from the war diaries of Eugene Sledge,
    > and his memoir "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa". He suffered
    > from what today would be termed PTSD or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. He
    > went on to be a professor of Biology. His memoir could not be described as
    > fiction or a glamorization of his experience. It was poorly adapted by the
    > producers of "The Pacific."
    >
    > The third contributor was Robert Leckie, who served on Guadalcanal and was
    > invoved in all of the Marines Pacific campaigns until he was wounded on
    > Peleliu. He too wrote an unglamorous and factual memoir, "Helmet for my
    > Pillow". The producers of "The Pacific" took great liberties with this.
    >
    > With what HBO did with over glamorizing the stories of these three men,
    > and their very real service in WWII, was to create a semi-fiction they
    > were not deserving of.
    >
    > Since Basilone was killed on Iwo Jima, and Sledge, and Leckie died in
    > 2001, they were not able to provide critical input.
    >
    > So I would hardly call "The Pacific" a must see. Rather read, "With the
    > Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" and "Helmet for my Pillow".

    I have met several who served on the Canal. None of them liked to talk abut
    it, except to make general statements such as: it was like being in hell.
    With the exception of one guy who had a terrible case of PTS, I could never
    get any of them to discus any specifics. The guy with PTS would, in the
    middle of a conversation, yell "duck there's a Jap behind you;" or talk
    about Jap balls being hung on trees as an example.
    There is nothing glamorous about war.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 9, 2010

  3. NotSure

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 7/9/2010 11:16 AM, Peter wrote:
    > "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>> Just fiction.

    >> Actually "The Pacific" was not fiction. It was a poorly adapted , over
    >> glamorized, and over produced. Some of the production was
    >> fictionalized. The basic source material was the documented stories of
    >> three marines, who were very real. In my opinion it was a poor telling
    >> of very real events.
    >>
    >> John Basilone was a marine sergeant who fought on Guadalcanal. His
    >> action of Guadalcanal was heroic, and he was fully deserving of the
    >> Medal of Honor he was awarded. So little is known of his personal
    >> life, besides the action for which he won his decoration, and the
    >> subsequent War bond campaign, his service record, and his death on Iwo
    >> Jima, the makers of the series created glamorized fabrication of the man.
    >>
    >> The big part the story was adapted from the war diaries of Eugene
    >> Sledge, and his memoir "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa".
    >> He suffered from what today would be termed PTSD or Post-traumatic
    >> Stress Disorder. He went on to be a professor of Biology. His memoir
    >> could not be described as fiction or a glamorization of his
    >> experience. It was poorly adapted by the producers of "The Pacific."
    >>
    >> The third contributor was Robert Leckie, who served on Guadalcanal and
    >> was invoved in all of the Marines Pacific campaigns until he was
    >> wounded on Peleliu. He too wrote an unglamorous and factual memoir,
    >> "Helmet for my Pillow". The producers of "The Pacific" took great
    >> liberties with this.
    >>
    >> With what HBO did with over glamorizing the stories of these three
    >> men, and their very real service in WWII, was to create a semi-fiction
    >> they were not deserving of.
    >>
    >> Since Basilone was killed on Iwo Jima, and Sledge, and Leckie died in
    >> 2001, they were not able to provide critical input.
    >>
    >> So I would hardly call "The Pacific" a must see. Rather read, "With
    >> the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" and "Helmet for my Pillow".
    >>

    > I have met several who served on the Canal. None of them liked to talk
    > abut it, except to make general statements such as: it was like being in
    > hell. With the exception of one guy who had a terrible case of PTS, I
    > could never get any of them to discus any specifics. The guy with PTS
    > would, in the middle of a conversation, yell "duck there's a Jap behind
    > you;" or talk about Jap balls being hung on trees as an example.
    > There is nothing glamorous about war.

    My dad went all through the Pacific. Other than the gory details of
    dragging a Victory ship off the beach (he had pictures of that), he
    never talked about it much. The stories he did tell were generally
    short and humorous, sometimes darkly so.

    Islander, reporting: "I saw many Japs".
    Intelligence officer: "What did you do then."
    Islander: "I watched them."
    Officer: "That's all?"
    Islander: "Through sights of '03".

    Ensigns leaning on the rail: "I'm senior to you because I graduated on
    .. . ."
    Halsey, from somewhere far above: "Gentlemen, seniority among ensigns
    is like chastity among prostitutes".

    Gunnery sergeant, holding up the first M-1 carbine he ever saw by the
    muzzle with two fingers: "This would have been a mighty fine cavalry
    rifle, if Custer had had 'em he might have had a chance at the Little
    Big Horn."

    The amazing change in the demeanor of a recalcitrant Japanese when you
    shoved a Thompson in his face and cocked the bolt.

    And the battle between the tank and the D7 (D7 won). He had pictures of
    that too.

    I know he got torpedoed once and was somehow involved in a plane
    crash--he had hearing loss from the one and scars from the other, but he
    never gave any details of those.

    J. Clarke, Jul 9, 2010
  4. NotSure

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 7/9/2010 1:02 PM, John Navas wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 04:51:58 -0500, in
    > <>, Neil
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:30:00 -0700, John Navas wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:10:38 -0700 (PDT), in
    >>> <>,

    >>> I consider The Pacific a "must see".

    >> Just fiction.

    > 24 Emmy nominations.

    "Frasier" had 37 Emmies--not nominations, _awards_. It was still just
    fiction.

    > Based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines,
    > With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge, and
    > Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.

    "Based on" means that somebody looked at them and wrote a screenplay
    which may or may not have borne much resemblance to the original material.

    > Authenticity was reportedly a major priority.

    Reported by who other than the PR flacks?

    J. Clarke, Jul 9, 2010