World Exchange ISP / Telecoms - Any first hand comments

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I am looking at the deals available from World Exchange
    (www.wxc.co.nz) and they look quite good for me (I make a lot of long
    calls to the UK so their capped rates there are good for me, and I
    like having the option of being rate limited or paying for more data
    when I hit the cap rather than just being billed extra).

    Does anyone have any first hand experience of using them, and in
    particular, what is their Quality of Service like?

    I am not particularly concerned about their helpdesk (I think I have
    talked to an ISP helpdesk three times in seven or eight years), but I
    am interested in whether you get the rated speed (2Mbit / sec plans
    especially) and the quality of connections you get for voice.

    Thanks for any comments you can make.

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Alan

    lolinternets Guest

    > Does anyone have any first hand experience of using them, and in
    > particular, what is their Quality of Service like?

    Most comments I've seen are good, however they don't have national transit.

    Any New Zealand traffic is considered international unless it goes via a
    peering link (so traffic to ISP's that don't peer - in particular
    Telstra/Telecom is counted as Intl)
    lolinternets, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "lolinternets" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone have any first hand experience of using them, and in
    >> particular, what is their Quality of Service like?

    > Most comments I've seen are good, however they don't have national
    > transit.
    >
    > Any New Zealand traffic is considered international unless it goes
    > via a
    > peering link (so traffic to ISP's that don't peer - in particular
    > Telstra/Telecom is counted as Intl)

    Hi lolinternets,

    Thanks for your response.

    What does that mean to me as an end user?

    Their website says this:

    "The data cap applies to Internationally routed data only. National
    usage defined as: Traffic that traverses WxC national peering links.
    Actual speeds may vary. Speeds may vary based on phone line
    conditioning, distance from the exchange, inside wiring on premises,
    internet or network congestion and the speed of websites visited."

    My current provider (Woosh) seems to count every byte (wherever it is
    from / to) so I can only see this statement being potentially positive
    compared to what I currently get.

    Is that correct?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Alan

    Gordon Smith Guest

    lolinternets wrote:
    >>Does anyone have any first hand experience of using them, and in
    >>particular, what is their Quality of Service like?

    > Most comments I've seen are good, however they don't have national transit.
    >
    > Any New Zealand traffic is considered international unless it goes via a
    > peering link (so traffic to ISP's that don't peer - in particular
    > Telstra/Telecom is counted as Intl)

    Rubbish. The network is extensively peered, and that includes getting
    Telecom & Telstra routes.
    Gordon Smith, Mar 26, 2006