    the network. I wouldn't think that heavy network traffic would cause a
    problem, but I'm not sure what else would cause this problem.

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWRlcg==?=, Oct 1, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWRlcg==?=

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWRlcg==?=" <> wrote
    in news::

    > Does anyone have any ideas as to why a Win2k system would act as
    > if they disjoin itself from the domain? I guess they don't
    > actually disjoin themselves, but they act as if they do because
    > for some unknown reason 2 systems in particular will suddenly not
    > allow domain users to logon to the domain. I can logon with my
    > domain admin account, but the only fix I can find to allow domain
    > users to logon to the domain with these systems is to disjoin them
    > from the domain, logon to the AD server, delete the system's
    > objects from AD, DNS, and DHCP, and then rejoin the systems to the
    > domain. The systems will then work normally for about 4 or 5 days
    > before the problem occurs again. I did notice that these system
    > seem to get slammed from time to time with data being copied
    > and/or moved from them to other systems across the network. I
    > wouldn't think that heavy network traffic would cause a problem,
    > but I'm not sure what else would cause this problem.

    More specifics are needed here.

    What do you mean they cannot login? Do they get an error message? Can
    you ping the DC when they are having trouble? What do the event logs
    show on each side (workstation/dc)? dcdiag and netdiag may be able to
    help here. Run them when you have the problem and report what they
    spit out here.

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Oct 2, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWRlcg==?=

    Kurt Guest

    How many DCs do you have? This sounds like an AD replication problem of some
    sort. If you have a bunch (or even more than 1), try this:

    ping <domainname>

    First when everything is working, then when it breaks not. See if you get a
    different IP address for the domain when its broken, and then check out the
    DC with that IP address.
    Also, check every domain controller for the AD computer records. Put
    something in the record to tag it (like a comment or description) and make
    sure the record gets distributed to all DCs.
    I had this happen once when network connectivity was lost in a system with
    probably 15 DCs. Users, computers, GPOs would just disappear.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Oct 5, 2004