    they have any practical use? I use ACDSEE which will view .CRW files - so I
    don't need the .THMs for browsing.
    Thanks

    Mike, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Mike

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:bs9fri$1pn$...
    > I'm working with RAW files and now I have so many I want to store them on
    > CD. Is there any point in keeping the .THM files as well as the .CRW? What
    > are the .THM files for? I presume it's for thumbnails (hence .THM) but do
    > they have any practical use? I use ACDSEE which will view .CRW files - so

    > don't need the .THMs for browsing.
    > Thanks

    Speaking for the Olympus 5050:
    you can ditch the THMs, they are only the in-camera preview files and are
    not, as I originally thought, actually anything to do with the RAWs.
    Interesting note: if you rename them to .JPG they are valid tiny JPEG
    versions of the raw RAWs.
    Alan

    Alan D-W, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Mike

    Bob Shomler Guest

    > I'm working with RAW files and now I have so many I want to store them on
    > CD. Is there any point in keeping the .THM files as well as the .CRW? What
    > are the .THM files for? I presume it's for thumbnails (hence .THM) but do
    > they have any practical use? I use ACDSEE which will view .CRW files - so I
    > don't need the .THMs for browsing.
    > Thanks

    I recall reading some time ago that (for Canon raw) there is some
    camera-specific EXIF data in the .thm file. I can't locate the
    reference now. You might try viewing EXIF data for an image (such as
    via BreezeBrowser) with both files present, then with the .thm renamed
    or moved from the directory; and see if additional EXIF fields are
    displayed when the .thm file is included.

    Bob Shomler
    www.shomler.com

    Bob Shomler, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Mike

    Flycaster Guest

    "Bob Shomler" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm working with RAW files and now I have so many I want to store them

    on
    > > CD. Is there any point in keeping the .THM files as well as the .CRW?

    What
    > > are the .THM files for? I presume it's for thumbnails (hence .THM) but

    do
    > > they have any practical use? I use ACDSEE which will view .CRW files -

    so I
    > > don't need the .THMs for browsing.
    > > Thanks

    > I recall reading some time ago that (for Canon raw) there is some
    > camera-specific EXIF data in the .thm file. I can't locate the
    > reference now. You might try viewing EXIF data for an image (such as
    > via BreezeBrowser) with both files present, then with the .thm renamed
    > or moved from the directory; and see if additional EXIF fields are
    > displayed when the .thm file is included.

    The THM file is used to solely for the on-camera LCD. All EXIF info still
    resides in the RAW file. Once off-camera, the THM's are useless ~ dump 'em.

    Flycaster, Dec 23, 2003