    Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)

    What card would you recommend?

    Cheers Peter...

    Peter, May 24, 2005

  2. Peter

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
    > Does it help you be more productive?

    I laughed at the first few people I saw doing this as being a bit precious,
    but then I had a chance to try it, and would never go back to using only
    one monitor ever again (he says, working on just one monitor :-(

    Same experience from everyone else in our team.

    > Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)

    I do it on a P3 1000Mhz no worries.

    > What card would you recommend?

    I'm not the right person to ask that, as I don't keep track of what's
    good/bad/indifferent in hardware.

    I think I've got a Radeon 9600 or something like that: works fine. But
    I've had much lesser cards than that, and it was also fine. Indeed when I
    first started running two monitors, I had one crappy AGP onboard card and a
    crappy PCI card (ie: cheapest I could get) for the second one. And that
    was fine too. I don't think you need to break the bank.

    --

    Adam

    Adam Cameron, May 24, 2005

  3. Adam Cameron wrote:
    >>Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
    >>Does it help you be more productive?

    > I laughed at the first few people I saw doing this as being a bit precious,
    > but then I had a chance to try it, and would never go back to using only
    > one monitor ever again (he says, working on just one monitor :-(
    >
    > Same experience from everyone else in our team.
    >

    >>Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)

    > I do it on a P3 1000Mhz no worries.
    >

    >>What card would you recommend?

    > I'm not the right person to ask that, as I don't keep track of what's
    > good/bad/indifferent in hardware.

    I use a Matrox Millenium 16MB at home, they are the best for this sort
    of thing, but still fairly expensive to get hold of, and the newer
    Matrox cards are the same, in both way, good and expensive.

    The Radeon and Geforce both do dual monitor, even some of the entry
    level ones($150).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 24, 2005
  4. Peter

    cowboyz Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 02:37:22 +1200, Peter <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
    > Does it help you be more productive?
    >
    > Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
    >
    > What card would you recommend?
    >

    > Cheers Peter...

    I've been using dual monitors for a few years now. Every time I work on
    another workstation I find myself wishing for more room. I use 2 17 inch
    at 1024 each on a 9800pro and it works a treat. Before this Ihad a
    GF4MX460,GF4 mx440 GF2MX + PCI S3trio2meg and all combinations worked
    great. Pretty much any card has a model that does dual monitor these
    days. As for performance, I only use dual monitor in 2d mode so it is not
    a strain on anything really. In fact, I have tried to get 3d working over
    2 monitors but the game needs to support it and I haven't had very much
    luck with the little time I have put in to it. The main advantages come
    from when you are actually working though.
    Productive. For sure. More space to lay everything out in front of you.
    I wouldn't recommend getting a flash 3d card unless that was part of a
    planned upgrade anyway. If you have a spare PCI slot at the moment I
    would look around for a very cheap s3 trio card to see if you like it
    first. Whatever you do get a app called UltraMon. It is brillant for
    managing multi monitors. Single click to turn one off if you want to play
    a game. (Some games you don't need to turn the monitor off but some don't
    detect the edge of the screen (like traffic Giant so you can't scroll left
    with mouse cause the mouse just goes to the other screen)

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 24, 2005
  5. Peter

    Hoot Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
    >
    > Does it help you be more productive?
    >
    > Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
    >
    > What card would you recommend?
    >

    > Cheers Peter...

    Dual monitors are absolutely brilliant for graphics work. Have your
    image on the primary display,uncluttered, all your Photoshop or
    Paintshop tools on the secondary. Also very good for web design. I have
    a Matrox Millenium - wouldn't be without it.

    Hoot, May 25, 2005
  6. Peter

    thing Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
    >
    > Does it help you be more productive?
    >
    > Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
    >
    > What card would you recommend?
    >

    > Cheers Peter...

    My box is a dual p3-1000 and a Matrox 400max. For normal use I dont
    think it achieves a lot, also I have found that my neck movements start
    to get large as my head pans across both monitors, so is an extra
    noticable strain.

    For some things though like music recording where I use lots of various
    open windows some very wide but short, 2 x 21 inch monitors makes life a
    lot easier.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 25, 2005
  7. thing wrote:
    > My box is a dual p3-1000 and a Matrox 400max. For normal use I dont
    > think it achieves a lot, also I have found that my neck movements start
    > to get large as my head pans across both monitors, so is an extra
    > noticable strain.

    heh, move them further away for you.
    you shouldn't need to move your neck much if at all, it should be eye
    movement only.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 25, 2005
  8. Peter

    Richard Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
    >
    > Does it help you be more productive?
    >
    > Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
    >
    > What card would you recommend?

    I prefer one decent screen then 2 smaller low res ones.

    I have 2 ATI raedons in here from when I needed 2 DVIs during my TFT phase, the
    PCI one was the cheapest there was with TV and DVI out on it, did the job fine,
    but not a match on the old geforce 2 mx for overlay support. My main card in
    here is a raedon 9000 cheapie (was $120 for a 64 meg card when I got it) - does
    2048x1536 fine, and I dont have a problem with 60Hz so not a worry for me.

    Richard, May 25, 2005
  9. Peter

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in news::

    > Does it help you be more productive?
    >
    > Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)

    I don't, but I don't write code. My friend who writes code has 3 monitors.
    He said 4 was too many but 3 is just right. He sees raw code on one
    monitor, the work in another, and the third for browsing help, surfing or
    whatever.
    It does not slow down your PC.
    It does make you more productive.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 25, 2005
  10. Peter

    GJ Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
    >
    > Does it help you be more productive?
    >
    > Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
    >
    > What card would you recommend?
    >

    > Cheers Peter...

    I just started a contract with a bank and have seen the dealing floor.
    Each dealer has 4 monitors. I on the other hand now have 2 monitors for
    the first time ever. I am finding it really useful when writing
    documentation. It is nice to have more space to refer to information
    when working. I am doing a lot less alt-tabs. Overall I find some things
    a easier to do with 2 monitors b ut it will take a while until I am
    totally used to it.

    As to PC specs, I found out on Monday my PC is a HP Xeon with 2 2.8Ghz
    processors sp speed is not currently an issue.

    GJ

    GJ, May 25, 2005
  11. Peter

    Allistar Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
    >
    > Does it help you be more productive?
    >
    > Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
    >
    > What card would you recommend?
    >

    > Cheers Peter...

    I use a dual head display at both home and work and fnid it hard to be
    without. It increases efficiency quite a bit as you can be looking at two
    things at once without needing to swap between them. It depends what you do
    though. As a software developer I find it really helps (IDE on one side,
    running ap on the other).

    Which card you use depends on your OS. I would recommend an Nvidia card with
    dual outputs. I have the FX5200 at home and Ti4200 at work. Under X (on
    Linux) it's quite easy to set up, and the Xinerama extensions in KDE help
    as well.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, May 25, 2005
  12. Peter

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > I don't, but I don't write code. My friend who writes code has 3 monitors.
    > He said 4 was too many but 3 is just right. He sees raw code on one
    > monitor, the work in another, and the third for browsing help, surfing or
    > whatever.

    I seriously considered exactly the same config, but I didn't have enough
    space on my desk for three monitors (I prefer CRTs to LCDs, so they have a
    bigger footprint).

    I've got a 21" and a 19" running at 1600x1200 each, and it's quite a nice
    way to work.

    I guess I could have scrounged a small LCD for my third screen for the
    docs... didn't think of that.
    --

    Adam

    Adam Cameron, May 26, 2005