    it assigns my machine a 192.168.0.x address. Is there any way I can log
    onto the network in this current configuration?

    Thanks!
    J, Feb 27, 2007

  2. Hi
    Accessing Network resources is not up to your Laptop. The Network components
    (like other computer and printer ) have to be set to allow sharing. You have
    to speak to the person in charge of the Network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 27, 2007

  3. J

    J Guest

    Jack MVP,

    I wasn't really asking a political question like where do I get permission.
    I'm interested in getting the services working through the router. On this
    particular dlink, I put my computer on the 'service network' which says that
    it by passes the firewall, but I still cannot ping a machine by Windows
    computer name.

    -j

    J, Feb 28, 2007
  4. J

    Gordon Guest

    "J" <> wrote in message
    > Jack MVP,
    >
    > I wasn't really asking a political question like where do I get
    > permission. I'm interested in getting the services working through the
    > router. On this particular dlink, I put my computer on the 'service
    > network' which says that it by passes the firewall, but I still cannot
    > ping a machine by Windows computer name.

    That's because the administrator of your network at work, hasn't given your
    User permissions to do so! Nothing at all to do with politics.....
    Gordon, Feb 28, 2007
  5. J

    J Guest

    No, I have all the rights I need. I believe it has something to do with
    logging into my laptop. I don't believe I'm logging into the domain. I
    have clicked on 'Manage my network password' and added my domain password,
    but I don't think this is doing anything. Again, I'm interested in using
    the same user account on my laptop to log into the domain at work, and to
    simply connect to my wireless network at home.

    J, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Hi
    In your home, you can do what ever you want to do. However, in a Building
    that hosts others you cannot decide on your own to switch On and Off
    elevators, add Electrical Wires, or “mess around” with the water system.
    Doing any of this can seriously affect and endanger other people.
    Similarly, it is with a Business Network. In almost all Businesses, changes
    of the Network made by None IT personal are a reason to dismiss the worker.
    The mere fact that you need to ask these questions on a Free public forums
    shows that you Knowledge of such matters are not suffice to be your own
    Network admin.
    If you do not know how so do, you do not know what danger to the Network
    they entail.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 1, 2007
  7. J

    J Guest

    Jack MVP,

    It's official -- you have gone off the deep end. You remind me of the good
    old days when a certain type of newsgroup person would lecture to the poor
    souls who dared to ask a question, and would generally answer every question
    with a stern 'RTFM'. I'm sure these newsgroup people thought they were
    projecting their superiority, but they were just social misfits lost in
    their mediocrity. I hope you are not starting a new wave of these, Jack
    MVP. I really just asked a couple simple questions, that's all. If you
    know the answers, let's hear it. If you don't know the answer, no need to
    chime in.

    -j

    J, Mar 2, 2007